2014 Winter Testing - General

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Juzh

Re: Winter Testing 2013/14

Gridlock wrote:Perez had a massive lockup that took all the compound off IIRC?
Yeah that was korea.
His tires blew twice in silverstone. Mclaren said on numerous occasions they followed every recommendation set by pirelli.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

C29 wrote:
flmkane wrote: However, the teams and drivers decided that it was Pirelli's fault to the extent that they were willing to boycott races until the tires were changed. You can rail against me however much you want, citing the evidence of the curbs and the teams usage of the tyres, but that would be a waste of your time. The teams decided that Pirelli tyres were unsuitable for F1 and it's as simple as that.
Huh? The teams decided, therefore it's fact? I decide that the sky is green, so now it's a fact, and you would just be wasting your time arguing with me. The teams may not have liked the tires, but to say the the teams decided it was Pirelli's fault is bogus.

FIA (moreso FOM?) wants a tire that degrades. When tires degrade, they lose stability. Whether there's no more tread and the cars spin around like on ice, or tires delaminate, or cars lose 10 seconds a lap, etc, there comes a point at which the tires are no longer driveable. That poses a safety risk no matter which way one looks at it, and that is a fundamental aspect of a component that is designed and regulated to FAIL. Yes, the FIA/FOM want tires that will degrade, meaning FAIL. How does one design a tire that will lose grip/degrade, yet still be safe and driveable at 300+ kmh? If it's always safe at 300kmh, then it hasn't degraded enough which means we're back to the bulletproof Bridgestones.

Pirelli has been given a task that virtually guarantees failure. They have been given a task by the FIA/FOM that is fundamentally false: To design a product that will safely fail while being pushed to the extreme limits by competition. Teams and drivers will always push the limits. People talk about driving to the limit but not past, and that is the trick about racing. But in that pursuit, you sometimes go over the limit and that's when sh*t happens. Is it the car's or driver's fault when a car spins off? The car's limit was too low but the driver pushed past the car's limit.

There's plenty of safe spec racing out there for those who can't handle a few tire blowouts. But then, those races aren't usually on global tv being watched by tens of millions...
None of the above makes any sense.

In my opinion, because Pirelli keeps giving highly irresponsible excuses, some of us are actually beginning to believe the disinformation and even help in its propagation.

Concerning if the teams decided that the tyres were unsuitable for F1 - the drivers actually hinted at going on strike because they feared one of them would soon die due to the tyres. Practically all teams took official positions against the tyres in public after Silverstone where there were a whopping 7 tyre failures (with Perez affected twice).

The FIA took the unprecedented step of changing the tyres mid season as a matter of urgency, with safety given as the only reason. The reason for the failures was officially put down to faulty design and Pirelli was asked to go back to the labs and come back with a new design.

The most glaring thing that's wrong with your claim is the assumption that fast wearing tyres must be dangerous, nothing could be more wrong.
The only part of the tyre that should wear fast is the contact patch, the tyre ply should still maintain integrity no matter what. Where the ply explodes, it only points out Pirelli's extremely horrible incompetence.

Silverstone circuit's boss, Derek Warwick actually told the press that Pirelli, Bernie and the FIA were bringing F1 to disrepute because of the dangerous tyres. I am sure there can't be many people who know more about out F1's health and safety requirements than a track boss. Any talk about F1 being "safe spec" or unsafe spec is really nonsense.

flmkane
flmkane

FoxHound wrote:Circular logic?

You define it by your example.
Gridlock has given you the why. I'll repeat this, if you want to sit here and throw stones at Pirelli, with torches and pitchforks akimbo, do it. Whatever makes you happy my man.

But you better bring a whole load more stones than you anticipated as other suppliers have transgressed your sacred standards too.

No need to fan the flames any more flmkane.
Happy new year to you and let's all hope Schumi pulls through, hey?
Oh really? My logic is circular? It's definetely not. Someone stated that teams not following Pirelli recommendations led to the Silverstone disaster, I invalidated that statement by presenting the evidence of Sergio Perez's tyre blowups, which occurred despite Mclaren following those recommendations.

munudeges
munudeges

Should this not be 'Winter Testing 2014'?

flmkane
flmkane

munudeges wrote:Should this not be 'Winter Testing 2014'?
Meaning that it should NOT be in this thread? Yeah probably not.

However, since there WAS a tyre blow up in the last test, and tyre failures have been a recurrent problem this year, past tyre failures can also be argued to be relevant to this thread.

adrianjordan

flmkane wrote:
munudeges wrote:Should this not be 'Winter Testing 2014'?
Meaning that it should NOT be in this thread? Yeah probably not.

However, since there WAS a tyre blow up in the last test, and tyre failures have been a recurrent problem this year, past tyre failures can also be argued to be relevant to this thread.
In fact I'd argue that, as it's mainly about tyres, this thread should be renamed as Pirelli Tyre Testing and leave the Winter Testing to another thread...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

The mods just need to tidy the thread.

astracrazy
astracrazy

i didn't know where to post this,

but has any teams released there car release dates yet? Isn't the first test at the end of this month? Gonna be tight.

mikeerfol

astracrazy wrote:i didn't know where to post this,

but has any teams released there car release dates yet? Isn't the first test at the end of this month? Gonna be tight.
McLaren is rumoured to show their car on January 25th, I think Ferrari will show theirs at Jerez one day before the testing begins.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I think a lot of teams will launch their cars at the track. Normally McLaren and Ferrari would hold a press event, but with things being so tight this year, and the importance of testing I can't see these events being feasible.

Gridlock

I read that Ferrari are launching in the pits at Jerez, but I see nothing official yet.

If I have time & energy I'll try to repeat my launch date and coverage thread from last year, and start hassling people on Twitter :D

McLaren will hold a launch. Don't forget they have a title sponsor to reveal, and the launch display models aren't usually the actual tubs AFAIK.

FW17

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/33453/ ... t-di-jerez

Did not understand the translation completely, does it say Renault wants to delay Jerez and Ferrari/Merc wants to delay Bahrain test?

mikeerfol

WilliamsF1 wrote:http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/33453/ ... t-di-jerez

Did not understand the translation completely, does it say Renault wants to delay Jerez and Ferrari/Merc wants to delay Bahrain test?
From Google Translate:
The Renault engines late for the Jerez test?
Horner Red Bull had asked the displacement of a week, but Ferrari and Mercedes are against

Ferrari and Mercedes are opposite, so there will be variations in the timing of the test, but Christian Horner, team principal of Red Bull Racing, the last meeting between the teams in Formula 1 would ask the displacement of a week's testing session Jerez which should officially open the season January 28, 2014.

NOT THE RED BULL RACING AND 'LATE! seems that the problem does not depend on the Milton Keynes team that is preparing the RB10 on schedule by Adrian Newey, but the supply the power-unit by Renault. So much so that they began to turn the rumors that all the teams that will be supplied V6 Turbo Energy could begin testing late. There is alarm, then, Red Bull Racing, but also in Lotus, Toro Rosso and Caterham.

PROBLEM IN TURBO RENAULT? Obviously on such a sensitive subject is not expressed anyone mouths are sewn. Rob White, head of Renault Sport F1, minimizes. Some argue, in fact, that the troubles do not concern the French heat engine (would have been brilliantly solved the initial annoyance to the crankshaft), but the marked BorgWarner turbocharger. The turbocharger system would be provided by the American multinational Pankl APC Turbo-GmbH, a German company based in Mannhein that was once known in the racing world for the initials KKK (Kühnle, Kopp & Kausch AG).

NOBODY HAS YET REACHED L ' RELIABILITY '! At Renault have worked continuously even during the holidays to find a solution with other technical partners. The assembly of a power-unit 2014 involves many different suppliers: there are around V6 Turbo turbocharger, KERS, the ERS, the batteries and the control electronics. Six very different elements to be harmonized into a single unit. It is normal at this stage there may still be difficulties to be solved. Especially since the French House is not the only one to have trouble with youth on the revolutionary power-units: Ferrari and Mercedes also have yet to achieve full reliability of the systems, but have granted their customer teams that will be available for testing engines Jerez.

FERRARI AND MERCEDES WANT TWO WEEKS OF HOLE in Maranello and Brixworth has objected strenuously to the displacement of one week of the test: to give in on this point, in fact, would have important repercussions on the planning of the development of the engine. The two manufacturers want a gap of two weeks between sessions of Jerez and that of Bahrain to have the time to analyze all the data collected in Spain and make the necessary changes. Otherwise, if there had been no change in the calendar, the machines should have to go directly from Andalusia in the emirate, precluding a whole series of works, however, have already been programmed. One can well understand what the fibrillation of all the teams and engine builders at this stage any change to the pre-established plans can have important effects on the timing of the pre-programmed ...
There's your answer :)

dans79

for those that are still unclear.

RBR wants to move the first test back one week. That means the teams would have a little over a week between the tests. Merc & Ferrari have told them no, as they should.
197 104 103 7

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

It's no different to asking for the first race to be put back a week because they aren't ready. The test dates were set a while back, it's the same for everyone. If Renault aren't ready, that's their problem.