Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CHT
CHT

Re: Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Fluido wrote:
08 May 2024, 09:55
CHT wrote:
08 May 2024, 01:48

3) He will not cut ties with RB for consultancy role for Ferrari F1. He doesn't need the money and his relationship with RB is like family.
They are not family.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMCiI_TWkAA ... =small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMCiI_hWUA ... me=small
They are not family by blood for sure. In the DC EJ and AN interview, they have spoken about AN spending most of his F1 career with RB and he has help set up the team from ground up, recruiting and train new engineers and together they have turned a party drink company to win more world championships than any other team he worked for in the past.

The article you posted simply RB is prepared for AN inevitable planned retirement and there is already succession plan within the team. In AN interview, he also shared what he does at RB factory and he is not involve in day to day operation. His job is to go to factory in the morning, talk to various departments in the technical team before retiring to his office to work on concept and ideas, and also to the road car projects. Even at personal level, AN and CH are close friends.

CHT
CHT

Wouter wrote:
08 May 2024, 11:01
Marko reveals which F1 team Adrian Newey will join and it’s not Ferrari

Even before the announcement was made official, Newey had been strongly linked to Ferrari, with reports suggesting he met with team principal Fred Vasseur ahead of the Miami GP to thrash out personal terms on a contract. Aston Martin and Williams are also keen on his services.

“What colour do I see Newey in the future? I think the red clashes a bit with the dark blue. But I think anything is possible with a great colour like green,” Marko said, suggesting that Aston Martin will be the design guru’s next team.

It has been suggested that Aston Martin owner Lawrence Stroll has offered Newey a huge contract to make the move to Silverstone and head the design department.

Previously, Newey has stated that not designing a car for Fernando Alonso one of his biggest regrets in F1, and with the Spaniard recently signing a multi-year deal to stay at Aston Martin he could get the chance to do so.

“I always wanted to work with him once in my life,” Alonso said before the 2024 Miami Grand Prix. “I respect him a lot. I consider him the best probably F1 ever had, a legend of the sport.
https://www.total-motorsport.com/helmut ... t-ferrari/
AM will need to get rid of Lance Stroll before they can convince AN that they are serious about F1. :)

PlatinumZealot

If Ferrari offer him an island in the mideterranian I see him consulting for them. He will love to try his hand at something new. Consulting is a way for him to not fully commit.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Watto
Watto

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 May 2024, 03:12
If Ferrari offer him an island in the mideterranian I see him consulting for them. He will love to try his hand at something new. Consulting is a way for him to not fully commit.
Yep, I think if he goes to Ferrari - or anywhere for that matter- would have to be on his terms, to an extent really he's almost a consultant or sorts at RBR now anyway. able to work on yachts, road cars and so on.

But if the terms aren't right. I can see how very easily he just walks, retires from F1 and just does other projects as he pleases. Right now I don't even know if Newey himself know what is next.

Mogster

According to Mark Hughes Newey hasn’t been working full time at RBR for a while. Recently he’s performed a more consultancy role, being a sounding board for the design team and fixer with his knowledge of previous generations of aero. I can’t see any reason why he couldn’t fulfill a similar role at another team.

CHT
CHT

Mogster wrote:
09 May 2024, 11:42
According to Mark Hughes Newey hasn’t been working full time at RBR for a while. Recently he’s performed a more consultancy role, being a sounding board for the design team and fixer with his knowledge of previous generations of aero. I can’t see any reason why he couldn’t fulfill a similar role at another team.
Mark Hughes is editor not AN.
To understand how AN work at RB best is to listen directly from AN himself rather than paraphrase what editors are saying..

Try watching from 31.00 to 35.00 where he speaks about how he build RB team and how he work with over 250 engineers at RB and enjoying his day at office..

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

CHT wrote:
Newey will never take up consultancy role for Ferrari because

1) Ferrari is a national team while AN is a full blooded British. I don't see him working outside of UK.
Ferrari is an iconic part of F1. The challenge of turning Ferrari into title challengers then winners is one of the hardest in F1 due to all the politics that goes on behind the scenes and it being a national team. It's a challenge Newey might take up if he's shielded from the politics and can design other cars for Ferrari outside of F1.

Newey is a pragmatist at the end of the day and he loves a challenge. Being British doesn't come into it. He refused to join Ferrari before as he didn't want to uproot his family to Italy. His children are adults now.
2) AN is not magic bullet he can't change the team fortune without changing the people. As a competive person he will not take on the job unless he has control to win.
If Ferrari hire Newey, he'll likely be in a consultancy role. When it comes to winning in F1? Ferrari can be utterly ruthless once it has competent management in place. Which it has in Fred, who has the backing of John Elkann.
3) He will not cut ties with RB for consultancy role for Ferrari F1. He doesn't need the money and his relationship with RB is like family.
He's leaving Redbull entirely. His relationship with Horner and the team has broken down.
4) AN will not leave RB till March 2025 so he could still be involve in RB22 as details of 2026 regulation will be reveal through the course of this year and Q1 2025.
Teams can't start work on the 2026 cars until January 2025. At a certain point this year, Newey's involvement with the F1 team ends. After that he's finishing up on the Hypercar project before he leaves in Q1 2025.
5) By 2026 it will be too late for AN to offer any meaningful help to any team since chassis engine and drivers line up is already set in stone.
You underestimate Newey's talent and ability to fix problems within an existing design and PU constraints.
6) Consultancy role is a complete waste of time and it may be the reason why Ferrari hasn't won anything for so long. Multi billion F1 team can't possibly relies on consultant to win championship.
It's only a waste of time if you don't have it working in the right way.

7) AN will not be swayed to work for Ferrari because of LH
He regrets not working with Lewis, maybe the challenge of helping Lewis win an 8th title might be a motivating factor or maybe not.
8) If AN wishes for take up consultancy role it will be RB not Ferrari because he knows the team and the team trust AN.
Again the trust between Newey and Horner (and others) is broken, he won't be going to Redbull. His next job if he decides to take one might well be his last in F1. Hence Ferrari moving heaven and earth to get Newey.

CHT
CHT

taperoo2k wrote:
09 May 2024, 13:46
CHT wrote:
Newey will never take up consultancy role for Ferrari because

1) Ferrari is a national team while AN is a full blooded British. I don't see him working outside of UK.
Ferrari is an iconic part of F1. The challenge of turning Ferrari into title challengers then winners is one of the hardest in F1 due to all the politics that goes on behind the scenes and it being a national team. It's a challenge Newey might take up if he's shielded from the politics and can design other cars for Ferrari outside of F1.

Newey is a pragmatist at the end of the day and he loves a challenge. Being British doesn't come into it. He refused to join Ferrari before as he didn't want to uproot his family to Italy. His children are adults now.
2) AN is not magic bullet he can't change the team fortune without changing the people. As a competive person he will not take on the job unless he has control to win.
If Ferrari hire Newey, he'll likely be in a consultancy role. When it comes to winning in F1? Ferrari can be utterly ruthless once it has competent management in place. Which it has in Fred, who has the backing of John Elkann.
He's leaving Redbull entirely. His relationship with Horner and the team has broken down.
4) AN will not leave RB till March 2025 so he could still be involve in RB22 as details of 2026 regulation will be reveal through the course of this year and Q1 2025.
Teams can't start work on the 2026 cars until January 2025. At a certain point this year, Newey's involvement with the F1 team ends. After that he's finishing up on the Hypercar project before he leaves in Q1 2025.
5) By 2026 it will be too late for AN to offer any meaningful help to any team since chassis engine and drivers line up is already set in stone.
You underestimate Newey's talent and ability to fix problems within an existing design and PU constraints.
6) Consultancy role is a complete waste of time and it may be the reason why Ferrari hasn't won anything for so long. Multi billion F1 team can't possibly relies on consultant to win championship.
It's only a waste of time if you don't have it working in the right way.

7) AN will not be swayed to work for Ferrari because of LH
He regrets not working with Lewis, maybe the challenge of helping Lewis win an 8th title might be a motivating factor or maybe not.
8) If AN wishes for take up consultancy role it will be RB not Ferrari because he knows the team and the team trust AN.
Again the trust between Newey and Horner (and others) is broken, he won't be going to Redbull. His next job if he decides to take one might well be his last in F1. Hence Ferrari moving heaven and earth to get Newey.
AN said Ferrari approached him 3 times and he turn them down. I guess you must have 3 good reasons or theory for that too.

In this video interview, AN did mentioned why he pass on the chance to join Ferrari and the reasons are still valid. AN also talk about leaving RBR to join Ferrari is like walking out on your family

In his own word, not from some through journalist or editor (18.10 onwards)

Farnborough
Farnborough

His last refusal to Ferrari, he described as visiting Italy to be collected at airport by someone unknown/not of management and taken as an illustration of just how the employer looked at his worth etc. Seemed to have failed at that critical point in his view of their seriousness in wanting to advance their team and his ultimate value to them.

Sounded like serious interest from his point of view, but not convincing from their actions toward the discussion.

FV on the other hand ..... reportedly came to meet London .... seems to have more pragmatic grasp of motivation in employees generally. That in itself certainly looks much more positive in pursuance of an influential potential arrangement from the get go.

FV appear to enact the diligence and also respect (not placing this in full glare of paddock publicity while AN is still obviously an employee of RB) that's if reporting is correct.

I do like seeing influential people move teams, then to see what affect and shift in success that may entail.

Going to be interesting to see LH in new place anyway, also where CS ends up.

CHT
CHT

Farnborough wrote:
09 May 2024, 14:20
His last refusal to Ferrari, he described as visiting Italy to be collected at airport by someone unknown/not of management and taken as an illustration of just how the employer looked at his worth etc. Seemed to have failed at that critical point in his view of their seriousness in wanting to advance their team and his ultimate value to them.

Sounded like serious interest from his point of view, but not convincing from their actions toward the discussion.

FV on the other hand ..... reportedly came to meet London .... seems to have more pragmatic grasp of motivation in employees generally. That in itself certainly looks much more positive in pursuance of an influential potential arrangement from the get go.

FV appear to enact the diligence and also respect (not placing this in full glare of paddock publicity while AN is still obviously an employee of RB) that's if reporting is correct.

I do like seeing influential people move teams, then to see what affect and shift in success that may entail.

Going to be interesting to see LH in new place anyway, also where CS ends up.
AN will never be able to achieve what he has done at RB due to his age. working at consultant will be an insult to his resume I think.

LH going to Ferrari is no different to Vettel Alonso and Kimi. expectation will be very high for sure.

Mogster

Newey is only 65 and has said that he isn’t the type of person to retire, comparing himself to Bernie.

The 2026 regs are a big chance to influence a teams direction for a few years. I can see Newey wanting to be a part of that, even if he takes a step back in 2027 and onwards.

CHT
CHT

Mogster wrote:
09 May 2024, 15:23
Newey is only 65 and has said that he isn’t the type of person to retire, comparing himself to Bernie.

The 2026 regs are a big chance to influence a teams direction for a few years. I can see Newey wanting to be a part of that, even if he takes a step back in 2027 and onwards.
He just bought an Oyster 885 GT I think.
He is going to enjoy travelling. May see him turn up at Monaco in his sailing boat.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

He has bought an Oyster.
He may also have bought my old car.
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... 6_in_cape/
I had a 1958 Porsche 356 soft top. I sold it in 1973 to help fund my university fees.
I don't have the engine number or body number on record so I can't pursue the reality. But it is highly likely that it was my old Porsche - not many 1958 soft tops around.
Newey is married to a ZA woman & has a house in Cape Town. Eddy Jordan has a house close by & they mountain bike together.

CHT
CHT

tok-tokkie wrote:
09 May 2024, 18:40
He has bought an Oyster.
He may also have bought my old car.
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... 6_in_cape/
I had a 1958 Porsche 356 soft top. I sold it in 1973 to help fund my university fees.
I don't have the engine number or body number on record so I can't pursue the reality. But it is highly likely that it was my old Porsche - not many 1958 soft tops around.
Newey is married to a ZA woman & has a house in Cape Town. Eddy Jordan has a house close by & they mountain bike together.
EJ may be responsible for his retirement too and I will be looking forward to his 2nd autobiography on the secret behind RB19 domination. Perhaps it will be release in 2026 when the new regulation kicks in.

PlatinumZealot

CHT wrote:
09 May 2024, 15:42
Mogster wrote:
09 May 2024, 15:23

He just bought an Oyster 885 GT I think.
He is going to enjoy travelling. May see him turn up at Monaco in his sailing boat.

Still leaves a bunch of time for consulting during the winter and rainy months...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN