2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
torpor
torpor

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Sonador wrote:I realy like the new livery, ok maybe the flat black should be white IMO.
It looks so mch better than the previous years.
It's funny because you're the only one thinking this year's livery looks better than the previous ones.

Remember the chrome arrows and the even better classy black livery?

BosF1
BosF1

Let's not forget the teams have two in-season tests this year. The first is already in a month on the 18th and 19th of April, after the Grand Prix of Bahrein. In my opinion these two days will be crucial for Honda as they will probably test the configuration they intend to run from the Spanish Grand Prix onwards.

The second test will be after the Hungarian Grand Prix, just before the summer break. I think the second test will be too late though to test the third spec PU for Honda, as they probably already had to use this third spec PU by that time. From the Spanish Grand Prix up until the Hungarian Grand Prix are seven GP's and unless their PU becomes bullet proof , that will be too long for one PU. Of course they could also opt to just take a penalty to implement another, improved spec PU.

FW17

Whats going on here? Fake?

adrianjordan

torpor wrote:
Sonador wrote:I realy like the new livery, ok maybe the flat black should be white IMO.
It looks so mch better than the previous years.
It's funny because you're the only one thinking this year's livery looks better than the previous ones.

Remember the chrome arrows and the even better classy black livery?
Well, he/she is clearly not "the only one" who likes it. I do too... I think it will look a lot better if they can get some sponsors on there too.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

F1NAC

FW17 wrote:Whats going on here? Fake?

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59724CBA
Nope. apparently it was real. Even Vandoorne retweeted, but then they removed it

torpor
torpor

It's a downward spiral in the shape of a formula one car. ;)

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

it caused controversy because people are so into only seeing the negative in things as clearly their own lives are only filled with negativity and haterism
that it was read as a under-the-belt blow to Honda as the engine cover reads Mercedes-Benz and the context was taken out of severe proportion.
sad, really.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

mwillems

Manoah2u wrote:
18 Mar 2017, 22:02
it caused controversy because people are so into only seeing the negative in things as clearly their own lives are only filled with negativity and haterism
that it was read as a under-the-belt blow to Honda as the engine cover reads Mercedes-Benz and the context was taken out of severe proportion.
sad, really.
Hmmm.... that's a tad dramatic. When I saw it, I was surprised. Given the situation with Honda, then no matter the context this could have been interpreted by many as a dig at Honda.

Now, since they will pay many hundreds of thousands of pounds in salaries (If not millions) to their PR department... and some of these people will probably have realised the potential dig the tweet might have caused,when the idea was conceived, realised and when it was published.... this makes me think that the knowledge of potential insult to Honda was there at least some point of the way and they published it anyway.

Strangely, besides that I don't find my life filled with negativity and haterism. I goof around with my 1 year old daughter (The same mental age as me) and so far, my head has not exploded from the pressure of the dark emotions that you suggest might reside within me. Yet I still thought the tweet quite deliberately rude.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

etusch

If that is true if I were Honda boss I would kick them out, stoffel and everybody in that tweets behind

Alonso Fan

I quite like the livery too, especially when the car is on track. Nice touch with the McLaren swooshes all over it
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

godlameroso

Honda won't sack you they just force you to resign, or make you keep inventory of urinal cakes, or something along those lines.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

So are the "GoodYear" tires a dig at Pirelli ?

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
19 Mar 2017, 20:04
So are the "GoodYear" tires a dig at Pirelli ?
Everybody has had digs at Pirelli! :mrgreen:

But yeah, I guess they are saying those tyres were better, in their opinion. Given everything that has happened, that official tweet was poorly thought and poorly timed, IMO. With the tumultuous headlines surrounding the partnership, that kind of tweet was not ever going to help the brand of either company.

Honda may yet not be providing a decent engine, but they are providing massive funds and a top line driver.
Without them, I'm not sure Mclaren would have a chance of competing at the sharp end of the grid due to a lack of finances. Honda will give them a competitive engine at some point. As rubbish as this situation is, they could take penalties all season long to develop that engine. If, by the seasons end, they can show the car to be competitive (and that is more than possible), they will have no issues with their driver line up next year. And thanks to Honda, they can afford the best.

I also think that Johnnie Walker and Richard Mille might also have looked upon that artwork with a little curiosity.... I'd imagine their contracts are very tight. And whilst I'm sure nothing will come of this isolated incident, I'd imagine they are not entirely happy with having their names removed from the "Perfect blend of old and new".
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

torpor
torpor

I also think that Johnnie Walker and Richard Mille might also have looked upon that artwork with a little curiosity
Do you mean with 'artwork' the livery they used for the Barcelona test or the picture they posted on twitter?

diffuser

torpor wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 00:33
I also think that Johnnie Walker and Richard Mille might also have looked upon that artwork with a little curiosity
Do you mean with 'artwork' the livery they used for the Barcelona test or the picture they posted on twitter?
That exactly the point I was making with the Pirelli statement.

Nobody would have said anything about this had the we not had the mechanical issue we had at the tests/had reports about PU talks with Merc..