Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ojlopez
ojlopez

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Depends on how the carbon fibre has been structured in the manufacturing process. For all we know there could be a thin layer of aluminium or other material to act as an air seal (no idea if that would be allowed in terms of the regulations). Also heat dissipation in this case might be a help more than a hindrance given where this part is located in the car.
I don't think the plenum sits directly on the engine. There must be some kind of gasket, specially if the air is coming at high pressure from the turbo.

diffuser

PlatinumZealot wrote:The plenum shape didn't change so can Honda defend the change as one that doesn't increase performance of the engine? (Car performance improves though!! lighter weight!)

I wonder if the material is part of the Spec? I mean if they used a metal alloy ...They could change the make up of the alloy for different reasons and how would the FIA know? Agreed that Aluminum to carbon fibre is a little more noticeable.

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

CjC
CjC

Anybody seen any evidence of the 'new rear end' that Boullier suggested?
Just a fan's point of view

Thunder

tbh i don't see anything new. But they can still bolt on loads of new Parts tomorrow and Saturday in FP3. The only thing that strikes me on the first Picture i posted in my last Post is that the RW is so shallow it looks like Monza Spec.

Edit: 1 more Picture from AMuS
#aerogollum

CjC
CjC

Thunders wrote:tbh i don't see anything new. But they can still bolt on loads of new Parts tomorrow and Saturday in FP3. The only thing that strikes me on the first Picture i posted in my last Post is that the RW is so shallow it looks like Monza Spec.

Edit: 1 more Picture from AMuS
http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 862424.jpg
I hope they do.
That very much does look like an underpowered Renault engine red bull rear wing doesn't it?
Someone at the team is well experience with that handicap.

Button does say there are development, mechanically, aerodynamically and engine wise.
http://m.skysports.com/article/formula1//9840264
Just a fan's point of view

Thunder

Of Course the Barcelona Updates could almost completely be under the Hood / little Details (which is always a little frustrating :D ) so i say if Progress is visible i'll be happy. If there are visible Changes alongside the Progress, even better.
#aerogollum

turbof1

There is one update for sure there!

It's the nose. I was doubting earlier today, but on close inspection I now can say with confidence they slightly chipped away at it.

It's not shorter for the record, but mclaren reduced the thickness of it between the tip and the pylons, and in that same area chipped slightly off at the sides.

It's very, very slightly all of it, but it is there.
#AeroFrodo

Thunder

You could be right. It's really hard to tell with the new Livery.

For comparsion:
#aerogollum

Jackles-UK

Might just be me but it looks to me like the rear wing with "McLaren" on it has ditched the serated wavy edges.

KingHamilton01

Car doesn't look that different visually, so as mentioned above seem's like that a lot of the changes are coming from under the hood. We know that the suspension has been revised and then I'm sure more will become clear over the weekend. But perhap's McLaren are happy with what they have atm and are planning to see what package is like with more power from engine?

Either that or planned up-grades have been pushed back for some reason, but I want to reserve judgement until I hear what the team say they are running Upgrade wise.
McLaren Mercedes

diffuser

Jackles-UK wrote:Might just be me but it looks to me like the rear wing with "McLaren" on it has ditched the serated wavy edges.
That wasn't the wing they ran in the last Quali and race. They ran the one on the car today....so we might see new parts tomorrow.....

PlatinumZealot

Thunders wrote:tbh i don't see anything new. But they can still bolt on loads of new Parts tomorrow and Saturday in FP3. The only thing that strikes me on the first Picture i posted in my last Post is that the RW is so shallow it looks like Monza Spec.
Shallow wings are very Red Bull-esque..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

trinidefender
trinidefender

I'm fairly sure that this front wing is a slight evolution of the previous one. The 2nd main plane seems to join the neutral section at a slightly lower point. The 3rd main plane has a slight vertical component to it right where it meets the neutral section of the wing and the 3rd main plane also has a lip (gurney flap) right on the curve close to the neutral section. The lowest adjustable flap (the flap above the 3rd main plane seems to start a bit higher up with a little less point at the tip to accommodate the vertical section of the main plane. The top adjustable flap also seems to have slightly different shaping on the inner parts of the wing (closer to the neutral section). The gurney flap on the top adjustable flap may have slightly different shaping with a different angle. Lastly, and I can be VERY wrong for this part, the FWEP might have a slightly different shape at the bottom by the opening.

Turbo and/or whoever else might be right about the nose being slightly thinner but it might be the black paint contrasting with the red/orange day-glo paint the gives that illusion.

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Shallow wings are very Red Bull-esque..
It doesn't seem THAT shallow to me. Also 5 louver cut outs. No one ran as much in monza (probably also spa).