2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ringo

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

I think the car is not hard to setup. The team just gets complacent on studying the car during practice to tweak the setup. Hard tyre information was lacking in this case.
The other thing is the qualifying. The RB20 is better at it than RB19, and this may be because of the setup to get the car in the window for qualifying which in turn may not be the right setup for the light fuel stint on the harder compound.
So I don't think redbull have any difficulties. It's all down to the choices and decisions made over the weekends.
Complacency will naturally be present, no matter how a team denies it. You need pressure from another team to create a reference point to truly push. With no reference point, then how good is good enough?
For Sure!!

Sieper

I wouldn’t call it complacency. There are a few big choices to make before hitting the track in fp1. You do your simulator work. You choose the main wing, the suspension settings that you can’t easily touch and you go out on track. Woops, it’s a fail and can’t be dialed out. You have two hours before fp2. Maybe the required rearwing isnt even there. But is it the wing or are we going to change the softness, ride hight, toe in etc. You can test 1 iteration. Have we improved or not? At least now you have a night to try. But that is on a simulator only.

Tomorrow the wind has dropped down. It is warmer. More grip.

You can easily go wrong in a weekend. Especially when last year there was no race, year before that it rained. Old data only.

I am actually surprised most teams manage to not make major mistakes many weekends. As they are often all so close.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66

ringo wrote:
22 May 2024, 16:32
I think the car is not hard to setup. The team just gets complacent on studying the car during practice to tweak the setup. Hard tyre information was lacking in this case.
The other thing is the qualifying. The RB20 is better at it than RB19, and this may be because of the setup to get the car in the window for qualifying which in turn may not be the right setup for the light fuel stint on the harder compound.
So I don't think redbull have any difficulties. It's all down to the choices and decisions made over the weekends.
Complacency will naturally be present, no matter how a team denies it. You need pressure from another team to create a reference point to truly push. With no reference point, then how good is good enough?
It's not complacency, otherwise they would never have achieved the run they had last year. They were forced to, again, reduce the wing level to be able to put both the floor and suspension in the right window, this is the most important chassis performance aspect of these cars. This undoubtedly cost them a bit in finding optimal race setup, more so on Hards. Why this happened again on a bumpy track with various cornering speeds (like Australia) is something the simulator team needs to look at. Maybe the internal struggle resulted in reduced infrastructure investments, leaving them with outdated simulator equipment?

Agreed on Q pace and compromise with R pace, they actually repeated a few times last year they need to improve the Q and reduce the performance gap between Q and R pace.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mzso
mzso

AR3-GP wrote:
23 May 2024, 04:21
Full race radio transcript:https://www.racefans.net/2024/05/21/lan ... mola-duel/
I wish they reintroduce a ban on telling drivers how to drive. Computers calculate how the races are progressing and the engineers just transmitting the instructions. The drivers just turn the wheels and push the pedals without any cognition behind it.

Vettel165

Sergej wrote:
22 May 2024, 10:28

BUT, a part from the fact that we need to confirm this in next races (and the next two can prove to be outlier as well), problem is that out of seven races so far RB had problems in finding the right setup in at least three of them (AUS, USA, ITA), so it can well be that RB20 is inherently a difficult car to setup, and this of course affects the evaluation of the car strength. I think we need more races to have a clear idea.
Could be they changed the design of the car after last season. Its a whole new car. My speculation is the more we go to the second part of the season, the less problems they will have with setting up the car. As they will have more information about potential weakness of the car and fix it. I might be wrong, time will tell us more.

ringo

Sieper wrote:
22 May 2024, 18:22
I wouldn’t call it complacency. There are a few big choices to make before hitting the track in fp1. You do your simulator work. You choose the main wing, the suspension settings that you can’t easily touch and you go out on track. Woops, it’s a fail and can’t be dialed out. You have two hours before fp2. Maybe the required rearwing isnt even there. But is it the wing or are we going to change the softness, ride hight, toe in etc. You can test 1 iteration. Have we improved or not? At least now you have a night to try. But that is on a simulator only.

Tomorrow the wind has dropped down. It is warmer. More grip.

You can easily go wrong in a weekend. Especially when last year there was no race, year before that it rained. Old data only.

I am actually surprised most teams manage to not make major mistakes many weekends. As they are often all so close.
Then why didnt they use the hard tyre if it was known to be the main race tyre?
They knew the longest stint in the race was going to be on the hard tyre. Why didnt they run it?
I call that complacency. They assumed they would be faster than anyone else on it anyway.
For Sure!!

Sieper

Because they failed with the original set up and spent the whole fp1 chasing a compromise running out of time to even do a long run.

These are just 1 hour.

I also think they want to keep both whites fresh for the race incase a untimely SC comes. And then for both riders (and not offer checo up for a test run) as they want to show no driver gets preferential treatment. Otherwise we peddle that angle.

ringo

Sieper wrote:
23 May 2024, 19:33
Because they failed with the original set up and spent the whole fp1 chasing a compromise running out of time to even do a long run.

These are just 1 hour.

I also think they want to keep both whites fresh for the race incase a untimely SC comes. And then for both riders (and not offer checo up for a test run) as they want to show no driver gets preferential treatment. Otherwise we peddle that angle.
What you said sounds reckless. Keeping a main race tyre brand new that wss never driven on to know what it can do. Checo was struggling, they should have put him on the hard and just write off his weekend.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

“I think they will be in the mix, definitely,” Perez said. “They will be very hard to beat, actually. But at the same time I do expect other teams to be a surprise, because given how small the margins are in qualifying, here I’m sure some of the midfield teams will be able to put a great lap together and be in the mix as well.

“I know pretty much it’s all down to Saturday. If we are not on the front row, or third, we don’t have a chance of winning the race. So it’s important to be able to get in that first or second row at least.

“I think they’re just closing up a lot and we have to make sure that we do the same — we get a good upgrade. We haven’t put a massive upgrade on the car just yet, so they seem to be closing the gap. It’s great, also — I think we all want to see how McLaren and Ferrari perform with a car that they’re capable of winning races. I think it’s something that will be fascinating to watch.”
https://racer.com/2024/05/23/perez-expe ... in-monaco/

I suspect Red Bull will be happy just to see the podium this weekend...

Emag
Emag

AR3-GP wrote:
23 May 2024, 21:46
“I think they will be in the mix, definitely,” Perez said. “They will be very hard to beat, actually. But at the same time I do expect other teams to be a surprise, because given how small the margins are in qualifying, here I’m sure some of the midfield teams will be able to put a great lap together and be in the mix as well.

“I know pretty much it’s all down to Saturday. If we are not on the front row, or third, we don’t have a chance of winning the race. So it’s important to be able to get in that first or second row at least.

“I think they’re just closing up a lot and we have to make sure that we do the same — we get a good upgrade. We haven’t put a massive upgrade on the car just yet, so they seem to be closing the gap. It’s great, also — I think we all want to see how McLaren and Ferrari perform with a car that they’re capable of winning races. I think it’s something that will be fascinating to watch.”

Perez maybe will be happy to see the podium this weekend. As for Max, under normal circumstances he still got the best car at the moment. If he could put it on pole at Imola with a suboptimal setup, then surely if RedBull doesn't waste Friday again, he should be the favorite.

Cs98
Cs98

Emag wrote:
23 May 2024, 23:09
AR3-GP wrote:
23 May 2024, 21:46

Perez maybe will be happy to see the podium this weekend. As for Max, under normal circumstances he still got the best car at the moment. If he could put it on pole at Imola with a suboptimal setup, then surely if RedBull doesn't waste Friday again, he should be the favorite.
Monaco is a complete outlier. We saw last year how a car like the AMR23 that was slower on traditional tracks could fire its tires up better and was therefore a serious threat for pole.

Sergej
Sergej

well AMR23 was the second best car in the first part of last season, for me it was no surprise to see Alonso fighting for pole in Monaco.

anyway, already prepared for a classic setup shamble Friday :D expecting nothing more from today.

organic

That shift in fortunes is largely because of the strides made by its competitors, but Red Bull has also not yet issues a comprehensive package update - something both McLaren and Ferrari has.

"They're closing up a lot, and we have to make sure that we do the same," Perez admitted. "We got a good upgrade, we haven't got a massive upgrade in the car just yet, so they seem to be closing the gap."

Cope or sign of a lot more they want to add

Sergej
Sergej

bwoah, not sure we will ever see a "massive" upgrade on RB, I think they are more on the strategy to bring smaller pieces more frequently