2016 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 16-18 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
sosic2121
sosic2121

Re: 2016 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 16-18 September

Phil wrote:Anybody else think its weird how Hamilton had no pace at all till around lap 40 when the team told him to change to a different engine mode and plan B? Was he racing the whole race in a lower engine mode?

At lap 40 when he changed it, he immediately started to gain on Kimi by a considerable margin. Makes you wonder why they didnt give (allow?) him that map earlier? Had that to do with brake management?

Any news on this?
I think it was tire management. Instead of taking those tires till the end, he only did about 5 laps on them. (I believe before that moment he "made" gap to kimi to save his tires)
But Ferrari really let Kimi down. They knew the power of undercut and they knew what Lewis was doing, yet they were surprised and panicked.

Unbelievable! How many points and wins have they lost this year due to inferior tactics!?!?

dans79

In the post race pen Lewis said he did the best he could considering the brakes.
197 104 103 7

Manjhi
Manjhi

This is the best Singapore GP can offer, drivers rating from todays race will be :

ROS
VET
RIC
PER
KVY
ALO
MAG

All in all great overtaking moves by Max, Raikonnen & Vettel, pluz wonderful & clean defending moves from Kvyat and Sergio Perez. =D>

Rating of Teams will be :
MER
RB
FER
MCL
SFI
TRS
RENault

=D>

lio007

holeindalip
holeindalip

Manjhi wrote:This is the best Singapore GP can offer, drivers rating from todays race will be :

ROS
VET
RIC
PER
KVY
ALO
MAG

All in all great overtaking moves by Max, Raikonnen & Vettel, pluz wonderful & clean defending moves from Kvyat and Sergio Perez. =D>

Rating of Teams will be :
MER
RB
FER
MCL
SFI
TRS
RENault

=D>

Really no ham in driver ratings for limping a hurt car to the podium??

iotar__

Verstappen: Team knew in advance start would be "difficult" http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/verst ... ult-828087
Of course they did, they have excuses written for every occasion before the race, especially after previous starts ;-). Bad clutch in Spa (they didn't know about), bad clutch in Monza (aka Raikkonen '15 panic start, sorry it was badly set up clutch by stupid Red Bull engineers, not his fault!) bad clutch in Singapore discovered at night, thank god for that, those things usually break at night in the garage by themselves.

Fine, whatever they say: "best team in F1" and the mystery of a perpetually faulty clutch. At least since Vettel left they didn't have a single case of cracks in the chassis so the balance of nature has to be preserved. A trivia question = how many (percentage) starts Verstappen messed up in his +30 F1 races?

Edax
Edax

Wow. Notice that while Hulk is flying past he brakes and shifts down. Pretty fast reactions.

By the way pretty inconsiderate from RB that they put him out there knowing his clutch was bad. Cost a few people their race and tons of damage. I can imagine that for a team like FI writing off a chassis is a serious expense. And If he would have collected hulk they would probably have taken out half the field.

Sevach
Sevach

FoxHound wrote:
Maximum DF... but drag will be different across the board, especially with rake(ben, my apologies).
Everybody is running maximum downforce and drag, which is different than saying every car has the same drag...

Still i think this is one of the fairest comparisons possible, everybody is at maximum, the top speeds are lower(which means drag is less of a factor), it's a good comparison of how much each engine is pushing.

But i got you, you're actually more concerned by the Mercedes vs Red Bull "chassis championship" than analysing the engines.

Sevach
Sevach

Phil wrote:Anybody else think its weird how Hamilton had no pace at all till around lap 40 when the team told him to change to a different engine mode and plan B? Was he racing the whole race in a lower engine mode?

At lap 40 when he changed it, he immediately started to gain on Kimi by a considerable margin. Makes you wonder why they didnt give (allow?) him that map earlier? Had that to do with brake management?

Any news on this?
He gained on a Kimi that was thinking on going to the end and not concerned by his progress, Hamilton already knew he would stop again, after both cars stopped Hamilton and Kimi had similar pace, Mercedes saved Hamilton that podium he looked bad today.

lio007

Edax wrote:
Wow. Notice that while Hulk is flying past he brakes and shifts down. Pretty fast reactions.

By the way pretty inconsiderate from RB that they put him out there knowing his clutch was bad. Cost a few people their race and tons of damage. I can imagine that for a team like FI writing off a chassis is a serious expense. And If he would have collected hulk they would probably have taken out half the field.
RB wasn't allowed to change the clutch because of parc ferme!

FoxHound

Sevach wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
Maximum DF... but drag will be different across the board, especially with rake(ben, my apologies).
Everybody is running maximum downforce and drag, which is different than saying every car has the same drag...

Still i think this is one of the fairest comparisons possible, everybody is at maximum, the top speeds are lower(which means drag is less of a factor), it's a good comparison of how much each engine is pushing.

But i got you, you're actually more concerned by the Mercedes vs Red Bull "chassis championship" than analysing the engines.
At a chassis track, Mercedes crushed Red Bull in qualifying and beat them in the race easily controlling it from start to finish.

But as ever some people will solely focus on the engines and top speed, when these qualities take a back seat to a sorted chassis and aero combo.
JET set

diego.liv
diego.liv

lio007 wrote:
Edax wrote:

RB wasn't allowed to change the clutch because of parc ferme!
Of course they were allowed, they didn't want to take the penalty

ME4ME

FoxHound wrote:At a chassis track, Mercedes crushed Red Bull in qualifying and beat them in the race easily controlling it from start to finish.

But as ever some people will solely focus on the engines and top speed, when these qualities take a back seat to a sorted chassis and aero combo.
I'd say Rosbergs quali lap was great while Ricciardo's was merely good. The Merc was better, but not by the extent of half a second.

Fifty
Fifty

I would have loved to have watched the whole race, but NBC decided that I was only to watch 1/3rd

I know they need to have commercials, but 2/3rdsof the race was either a full commercial or the 1/4 screen....

It has gotten horrible in the last two races.

I wish I knew how to get a stream of the sky broadcast...

Sevach
Sevach

FoxHound wrote: At a chassis track, Mercedes crushed Red Bull in qualifying and beat them in the race easily controlling it from start to finish.

And there you have it... i was surprised looking at Ferrari being so far behind in acceleration and top speed and surprised at Honda mixing with the Renault's, you were concerned on how they people use that to undermine the Merc's chassis.

Congratulations you won the Chassis Championship™, want a cake or something?