Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mr.G

Re: Ferrari F138

Enlarge this picture, its for the pipes for CFD corelation.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 2013-1.jpg
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

dren

The Ferrari has fewer diffuser strakes turning the flow outwards, but they have more on the rear wing compared to most others.
Honda!

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

amouzouris

Vortices are visible at the back of the F138 which is unusual in the dry...I suspect its because of the detached vertical strakes on the RWEP

ajprice
ajprice

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:http://www.clausell-f1.com/modificacion ... rari-f138/

New exhaust for Ferrari
Is that a vane across the middle like the Caterham?

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Yes mate !

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

ajprice wrote:
Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:http://www.clausell-f1.com/modificacion ... rari-f138/

New exhaust for Ferrari
Is that a vane across the middle like the Caterham?
Nope its just how Ferrari drop their exhaust outlet lower into the channel in order to release airflow from the Sidepod over the plume.

Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

http://www.blogf1.it/2013/02/06/ferrari ... -di-jerez/

Ferrari doesn't do fast time at Jerez because Jerez test is only for windtunnel correlation. They will go for performance at Barcelona.
They will have new wings, sidepods, diffuser at Barcelona, the car will change dramatically.

Ferraripilot

Don't let your eyes fool you with this car, yes it has a very tight back end but understand the exhaust exits a few CM higher than other teams which simply allows us to see under the exhaust area more easily which gives the illusion that it's tighter than it may be. I do not specifically see how the car is tighter than others so far, just that their exhaust exits higher and the sidepods have a bit higher CoG all around. Compare side views with Mclaren/Mercedes, or even FI and you'll quickly notice how much lower their exhausts exit from the back of the sidepods.

That being said, F138 is going to be a heck of a contender, this I can already tell.

Nando
Nando

I disagree, i think it´s clear the waistline (for a lack of a better word) of the sidepod is much more aggressive then anything other in the field.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Vanja #66

It's been - what - 5 days now, I still can't believe how much aesthetic influence this modesty panel has... F2012 from Mugello onwards wasn't a bad car, for looking at nor for the race track. It's nose didn't bother me that much at all... But seeing the nose of F138, it makes me think "Wow, how was I so blind...".

I really hope they won't think of trying to change it in order to gain some DF or something. Definitely one of the best ideas (this simple panel) FIA had in some time now...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

stefan_
stefan_

Jerez - Day 2

Last edited by stefan_ on 06 Feb 2013, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

amouzouris

On the first photo stefan posted you can see how they've cut out part of the engine cover to aid cooling revealing the radiator on top of the gearbox, so the second inlet behind the engine intake is used for cooling, not for the possible DRD

Edit: Also, on the 6th and 7th take a look at the floor and you can see where the exhaust hits the floor, right beside the tire in the gap between it and the diffuser footplate

Also if you zoom in on the second to last photo, the large gap between the bottom of the gearbox and the floor can be seen more clearly, in addition if you take a look at the largest of the three holes in front of the tires that reduced tire squirt is broken and bent down

Matt89
Matt89

amouzouris wrote:On the first photo stefan posted you can see how they've cut out part of the engine cover to aid cooling revealing the radiator on top of the gearbox, so the second inlet behind the engine intake is used for cooling, not for the possible DRD
Last year the intake behind the airbox looked smaller and this year that zone is not part of the whole engine cover, as it used to be on the f2012. It could be easily enlarged to be both a gearbox cooler and a DRD intake (as it was on Mercedes last year).
"Mi chiedete quale è la differenza tra la F1 eroica e quella attuale. Beh, è come se prima si camminasse in equilibrio su un filo sospeso a strapiombo sul Grand Canyon. Ora quel filo è ben teso in camera da letto, a un palmo dal materasso: l'abilità richiesta per camminarci sopra è la stessa, ma la sfida è cambiata per sempre".

- Stirling Moss -

"Se gommo tiene, io vince gara! Se gommo non tiene, io come bomba dentro montagna."

- Markku Alen -

Ferraripilot

Nando wrote:I disagree, i think it´s clear the waistline (for a lack of a better word) of the sidepod is much more aggressive then anything other in the field.

The mass of the sidepod and exhaust exit is higher than anyone on the field. Comparison profile pics easily show this. Yes, they are small sidepods, but they are higher and I would say not necessarily smaller than many others. F138 simply has more flow around the floor area because the mass is placed higher. An aero gain is more beneficial than a CoG gain in this case, they should hope anyway.