2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
krisfx
krisfx

Re: 2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

Hail22

emmepi27 wrote:What do you think about mine? :roll:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdsUl4ICMAIbVSj.jpg
I don't know why but this first image would be fairly advantageous in order to feed air under the lower arms of the front suspension then flowing onward to the Sidepods / floor. Could technically be called a "Front wing Bulbous flow conditioner".

What are your thoughts? (community question)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Blackout wrote:Why not :D could be a nice compromise : P

http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/14/79/55/26/f1410.jpg
Are you sure about the rear wing? I thought RW flaps were going to be thinner, somewhat like those used at Spa/Monza?

Ozan
Ozan

And 100% for sure no BGP01 nose. That would simply be undrivable. Or you would have to run it w/o Front Wing.
Why did you say this ?

timbo
timbo

Ozan wrote:
And 100% for sure no BGP01 nose. That would simply be undrivable. Or you would have to run it w/o Front Wing.
Why did you say this ?
The rear downforce takes a biggest hit this year with the ban of beam wing and exhaust blowing. Wide low nose is good for front DF, but may starve diffuser, overall moving aero balance to the front.

CBeck113
CBeck113

henra wrote:Me neither.
The naivety of FIA is really amazing. They should have learned by now that the designers will look for any loopholes and don't give a sh*t for Looks when Performance can be gained otherwise.
The mistake everyone is making is to think that the FIA has the same brilliant engineers working for them as the teams. This regulation was made to make the cars safer, which it should do. That the teams would do everything they could to find an advantage is obvious, but how long did it take the forum here to find the loopholes? And then we expect a handfull of "experts" who are no longer working for a team (wonder why :roll: ) to see what was coming? Nope, not going to happen, even if it were in their best interest.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

xDama
xDama

Now there's a beauty!
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

j2004p
j2004p

http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/14/79/55/26/f1410.jpg
Stunning!

emmepi27
emmepi27

Hail22 wrote:
I don't know why but this first image would be fairly advantageous in order to feed air under the lower arms of the front suspension then flowing onward to the Sidepods / floor. Could technically be called a "Front wing Bulbous flow conditioner".

eheheh :lol:

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Hail22 wrote:

i really like this design. if it's compliant to the rules, i think it does, but i'm not the right person to answer that surely,
but it looks like it might, it looks like it'll 'flow' air towards the rear quite niftly.
like i said before, i think it looks very close to the caterham design. can't wait to see the reveals, allthough i enjoy the
artist renderings aswell, that'll probably end after the first reveals.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Kiril Varbanov

Holm86

Must be the Caterham?

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Every one seems to think rear downforce would be highly influential to nose design, but that might not be the case at all.

There are much heavier components all concentrated toward the rear of the car from this season. That's loads of free downforce (for want of a better term), just that its somewhat constant for every speed and rate of acceleration. Too much rear downforce might even be something of a problem for the teams as from this season.

In my opinion, the nose/front wing designs would be much more strongly influenced by the behaviour of front and rear suspension, need to maintain front end grip into corners and under braking; generally to even out front to rear weight/downforce distribution.
No one would want a planted rear end attached to ice skates; trying to point forwards, but loving circles better; trying to see London, but headed for Paris. :)

Holm86

GrandAxe wrote:Every one seems to think rear downforce would be highly influential to nose design, but that might not be the case at all.

There are much heavier components all concentrated toward the rear of the car from this season. That's loads of free downforce (for want of a better term), just that its somewhat constant for every speed and rate of acceleration. Too much rear downforce might even be something of a problem for the teams as from this season.

In my opinion, the nose/front wing designs would be much more strongly influenced by the behaviour of front and rear suspension, need to maintain front end grip into corners and under braking; generally to even out front to rear weight/downforce distribution.
No one would want a planted rear end attached to ice skates; trying to point forwards, but loving circles better; trying to see London, but headed for Paris. :)
Weight is not at all the same as downforce. Downforce is forcing the tires into the ground just like weight is. But downforce is without mass. Weight carries momentum which forces the cars out of the corner. So you cant say that just because they carry more weight at the back that compensates for lack of downforce. That's just rubbish.

henra
henra

Holm86 wrote: Weight is not at all the same as downforce. Downforce is forcing the tires into the ground just like weight is. But downforce is without mass. Weight carries momentum which forces the cars out of the corner. So you cant say that just because they carry more weight at the back that compensates for lack of downforce. That's just rubbish.
Actually it's even worse.
If you have more weight on an axle you need even more DF to achieve the same level of lateral G's.
So more weight on the rear would even exacerbate the trouble at the rear.

@GrandAxe: You can be sure rear DF will be the topic this year (besides reliability).