2012 German GP - Hockenheim

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MikeFromCanada

Re: 2012 German Grand Prix - Hockenheim

raymondu999 wrote:Is it too much to ask for the FIA to put the DRS zone in somewhere other than the parabolic straight? I'd say going into T2 would be nice. A short zone that gets the car within range for a non-DRS pass into T6. It's quite easy enough passing into T6 anyways....
I will never understand why the FIA tends to put the DRS zones in already decent to very good passing areas. Wouldn't you rather put it in another area which may provide another passing opportunity, rather than risk turning a decent opportunity into an easy pass?

The DRS zone along the Kemmel Straight is by far the most unecessary and mindboggling.

zyphro
zyphro

MikeFromCanada wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Is it too much to ask for the FIA to put the DRS zone in somewhere other than the parabolic straight? I'd say going into T2 would be nice. A short zone that gets the car within range for a non-DRS pass into T6. It's quite easy enough passing into T6 anyways....
I will never understand why the FIA tends to put the DRS zones in already decent to very good passing areas. Wouldn't you rather put it in another area which may provide another passing opportunity, rather than risk turning a decent opportunity into an easy pass?

The DRS zone along the Kemmel Straight is by far the most unecessary and mindboggling.
=D>

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

DRS zone before T2? Wtf?

To be honest, Hockenheim doesn't need a DRS zone at all.

beelsebob
beelsebob

MrBlacky wrote:DRS zone before T2? Wtf?

To be honest, Hockenheim doesn't need a DRS zone at all.
I could see a good argument for DRS along the short straight beside the drag strip into the stadium section.

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

I don't think this is a good idea.

1. I'm not sure, but they enter the following corner without braking, or even with relatively high speed.
2. I find it dangerous to enter that corner side by side.

The only place where I would say DRS is okay is after the hairpin. But this also has its negatives.

Nando
Nando

MrBlacky wrote:I don't think this is a good idea.

1. I'm not sure, but they enter the following corner without braking, or even with relatively high speed.

The only place where I would say DRS is okay is after the hairpin. But this also has its negatives.
1. They do brake at all times, it´s just a tap on low fuel but you have to brake on race fuel.
With the DRS system it means the drivers will probably approach T1 much faster then in 2010.

So there will be no DRS used mid-corner in T1. Not in Qual or in Race.

2. Formula 1 is a dangerous sport.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

beelsebob
beelsebob

MrBlacky wrote:I don't think this is a good idea.

This used to be one of the big overtaking spots on the track, when the lead into it was longer, it also set up a potential overtake at the hairpin in the stadium section. There's a decent gravel run off (because it had to be big enough for the big long straight that used to be there).

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

Yea, but in my eyes there is no way that you can overtake in that corner.

beelsebob
beelsebob

MrBlacky wrote:Yea, but in my eyes there is no way that you can overtake in that corner.
Well, your eyes are wrong – it's been done, many times before.

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

Well then I have missed all these overtakes. Can't remember any single one that wasn't lapping a backmarker.

beelsebob
beelsebob

MrBlacky wrote:Well then I have missed all these overtakes. Can't remember any single one that wasn't lapping a backmarker.
As an example... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rTmRB9j ... age#t=108s

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

Yeah, I thought we speak from the new layout. And there you just have to keep the inside line so nobody has the slightest chance to pass you in that corner.

beelsebob
beelsebob

MrBlacky wrote:Yeah, I thought we speak from the new layout. And there you just have to keep the inside line so nobody has the slightest chance to pass you in that corner.
That corner has not changed – the thing that's changed is the length of the straight preceding it. DRS might help counter act the fact that the straight is no longer very long.

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

beelsebob wrote:
MrBlacky wrote:Yeah, I thought we speak from the new layout. And there you just have to keep the inside line so nobody has the slightest chance to pass you in that corner.
That corner has not changed – the thing that's changed is the length of the straight preceding it. DRS might help counter act the fact that the straight is no longer very long.
Okay that's a point, but this could be almost too short.

Nando
Nando

Depends entirely on the situation at hand.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."