Why early 90s cars couldn't go flat out through Eau rouge

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andylaurence

Re: Why early 90s cars couldn't go flat out through Eau rouge

Fulcrum wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Do we have another corner where you need big balls?
There is not even a hint of personal restriction at play; self-preservation in other words. A 'brain' limit suggesting you shouldn't go faster, even though theory dictates you could; driver differentiation through 'bravery' no longer exists as it once may have.
There's definitely bravery required. Everywhere. Piling into a corner at speed takes guts. I've seen it a few times where a fast saloon driver goes into a single seater and can't go quicker because he just doesn't have the confidence to really push it. Even in a slow car like mine, being on the limit takes balls as much as skill.

mrluke
mrluke

If the problem was a too low ride height why didn't they just run bump stops? Is the suggestion that they didn't know this was the problem?

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

PlatinumZealot wrote:Do we have another corner where you need big balls?
Any corner where Maldonado is present.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

PlatinumZealot

andylaurence wrote: There's definitely bravery required. Everywhere. Piling into a corner at speed takes guts. I've seen it a few times where a fast saloon driver goes into a single seater and can't go quicker because he just doesn't have the confidence to really push it. Even in a slow car like mine, being on the limit takes balls as much as skill.
Yes that is true for normal people like us but these guys have been going thru corners at breakneck speeds since they were kids so they are essentially desensitized to that sort of fear long ago. I would imagine it is only the fear of incapication or death that these drivers have left and only a few corners are left where driver error can lead to that. Corners where you just want that to eek out that much more, just that little bit before you go over the limit before your fingers release or you neck snaps and you go careening off into sure destruction.

P. S. I don't want to bring equipment failure into it because you can pretty much die anywhere if your brakes fail.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN