Machin's 2010 Car launch... sort of!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
axle
axle

Re: 2010 Car launch... sort of!

Not using the wheel fairings is a FOTA choice and not an FIA rule....just like the lack of KERS.
- Axle

machin

Professor wrote:I have some doubts. Without getting too mathmathical, without ballast, I suspect that the car, with the engine, gearbox, and rear suspension will be much heavier than the front half of the car (driver included). All of that dead load is well behind the centerline of the wheelbase. If the ballast placement moves the center of mass to the centerline of the wheelbase, then we have a neutral center of mass when fuel empty........
The weight distribution seen here is calculated by solidworks; the user (me) assigns densities to each of the components to bring their mass up to somewhere which seems "about right"... for example the engine model has a density somewhere in the region of 2000kg's/m^3 (if I remember correctly...remember a lot of an engine is just air space, hence why the overall density is fairly low) this means that the weight of this component is 95kg's (as per the minimum requirement in the FIA's rules). The other components are worked out in a similar way, again, many weights are just "guessed" but I don't believe they'll be a million miles off.

Remember that components such as wishbones, wheels, uprights, brakes etc will have their combined CofG pretty much in the middle of the car (i.e. 50:50 split) since the front ones balance out the rear ones.

My model has the fuel tank CofG pretty much exactly where the overall car's CofG is, so it can be removed from the equation...

The front wing will largely be off-set by the rear wing, i.e. little overall effect on the car's CofG

So what we have left is the Tub (20kg's?) and driver (in my model 80kg's -my weight), partially offsetting the engine (95kg's) and gearbox (30-40kg's I think I had it set at) so slightly rear-ward there, the main difference then being floor, side-pods and engine cover , again pulling the cars's overall CofG slightly rearwards...

....so I don't think that the figures can't be too far off....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

machin

I noticed that my head protection wasn't wide enough... so I modified it... and tweaked the side-pod shape whilst I was at it:-

pipex
pipex

The sidepod openings look very Renault-ish. Is there a reason why they are like that?
"We will have to wait and see".

machin

Not really any reason.. that's just how I drew them!

Minor tweaks... last ones now (maybe!)

pipex
pipex

machin wrote:Not really any reason.. that's just how I drew them!
Thanks machin for the answer. It seems that smaller sidepods is not equal to better aerodynamic performance looking at the Brawn and Red Bull design. And by looking at your design again i think it looks more like the Red Bull one. The Renault opening is smaller.
"We will have to wait and see".

ISLAMATRON

No wheel fairings
Teams are no longer allowed to use the wheel rim covers that became so commonplace in 2009. Their removal means one less thing to go wrong when pit crews are trying to change of set of tyres in less than four seconds, and could also aid overtaking by making the airflow immediately behind cars less turbulent.
http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules ... ions/8692/

Tonn
Tonn

What program did you use?

machin

The model was built in Solidworks.... but the background/reflection in the screenshots above were added by me in photoshop....

machin

ISLAMATRON wrote:
No wheel fairings
Teams are no longer allowed to use the wheel rim covers that became so commonplace in 2009. Their removal means one less thing to go wrong when pit crews are trying to change of set of tyres in less than four seconds, and could also aid overtaking by making the airflow immediately behind cars less turbulent.
Yeah, I'd seen that wording on the website, but the whole Double Diffuser issue sets a precedance that unless the rules specifically say something can't be done then it IS legal. The 2010 rules are identical to the 2009 rules in the area of "brake ducts" so therefore they ARE allowed by the rules. Others above have suggested that FOTA have unanimously agreed not to fit them, but until Mach-1 Racing is asked to join FOTA (!!!!) then my car is going to feature every legal feature to make it better!!!! ;-) ;-)

Giblet
Giblet

machin wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:
No wheel fairings
Yeah, I'd seen that wording on the website, but the whole Double Diffuser issue sets a precedance that unless the rules specifically say something can't be done then it IS legal. The 2010 rules are identical to the 2009 rules in the area of "brake ducts" so therefore they ARE allowed by the rules. Others above have suggested that FOTA have unanimously agreed not to fit them, but until Mach-1 Racing is asked to join FOTA (!!!!) then my car is going to feature every legal feature to make it better!!!! ;-) ;-)
Damn straight machin. You smartly never signed the iFOTA document when it was presented to you by VirtuaLuca =D>
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

machin

You smartly never signed the iFOTA document when it was presented to you by VirtuaLuca

:lol: :lol: :lol: =D>

I re-read the head protection rules and think I was nearer the first time! Plus I've further developed the turning vanes around the radiator inlets:

machin

A view showing the diffuser:-

wesley123
wesley123

pretty impressive.

But what i notice(or it is just me) is that everyone who shows his car here has pretty big sidepods at the rear.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

wesley123 wrote:pretty impressive.

But what i notice(or it is just me) is that everyone who shows his car here has pretty big sidepods at the rear.
Yeah I thought that and now I think the nose looks out of proportion.

Still, mightily impressive.