2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Thunder

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

ABMS usually has good insider Contacts. Not saying this is definitely happening but ABMS is about the only Part of the Bild Group that has some credibility.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

GhostF1
GhostF1

Lucky wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 08:14
According to the information of from AUTO BILD MOTORSPORT the decision has liked long ago: A separation of Honda is an agreed thing and also the Daimler board of directors has already agreed to a cooperation. The topical interviews should prepare the public execution communicatively. Sauber the only Honda-work team and McLaren with customer engines of Mercedes would be supplied with it.
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 54469.html
If any of that were true, it wouldn't be exclusive knowledge to a small German website...

And I simply cannot believe McLaren will drop Honda. Even if they pick up a Merc PU supply and get a podium in Aus 2018, it will be a hollow victory... I feel like McLaren Honda is a unit now and they need each other, they need to win together. The first podium together would be a massive celebration! Tough times are now but a separation would probably damage both brands more than if they persevere with each other, it'll be forever a focal point of their histories if they bail out now, they have a chance to move on and create one of the biggest comeback stories in motorsport. Do this.

Vasconia

GhostF1 wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 08:49
Lucky wrote:
According to the information of from AUTO BILD MOTORSPORT the decision has liked long ago: A separation of Honda is an agreed thing and also the Daimler board of directors has already agreed to a cooperation. The topical interviews should prepare the public execution communicatively. Sauber the only Honda-work team and McLaren with customer engines of Mercedes would be supplied with it.
If any of that were true, it wouldn't be exclusive knowledge to a small German website...

And I simply cannot believe McLaren will drop Honda. Even if they pick up a Merc PU supply and get a podium in Aus 2018, it will be a hollow victory... I feel like McLaren Honda is a unit now and they need each other, they need to win together. The first podium together would be a massive celebration! Tough times are now but a separation would probably damage both brands more than if they persevere with each other, it'll be forever a focal point of their histories if they bail out now, they have a chance to move on and create one of the biggest comeback stories in motorsport. Do this.
No, they are not an unit like you saiy, they have never been and this is one of the main problems. Honda has rejected many times technical advice and help from McLaren. This way to work has nothing to do with what Red Bull and Renault did for example between 2009 and 2013.

bauc

Thunders wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 08:43
ABMS usually has good insider Contacts. Not saying this is definitely happening but ABMS is about the only Part of the Bild Group that has some credibility.
Remember when Eddie Jordan said that Mclaren have a Mercedes deal for next year and everyone rushed to deny it....
Who know's maybe they did sing some pre-contract after all
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

ZakB
ZakB

GhostF1 wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 08:49
Lucky wrote:

That's the whole point, they are not a unit. Honda wants to do everything on their own and they feel that they can do whatever they want, because they are paying the money. It could have easily been solved by handing over the program to McLaren. Just look at the last period, they only managed to get 1 victory in Hungary, which was caused by a lot of luck. The Brawn/Honda car won the championship with a Mercedes in the back. It's clear that they don't have a solution and I highly doubt they will find one this year or next year. By the time the engine is competitive we're in 2020.

Sonador
Sonador

bauc wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 09:43
Thunders wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 08:43
Remember when Eddie Jordan said that Mclaren have a Mercedes deal for next year and everyone rushed to deny it....
Who know's maybe they did sing some pre-contract after all
If Jordan is right, then Mercedes will call it quits after 2018.
Maybe Mclaren can return to a works deal in 2019??

I highly doubt it, and hope they stay with Honda and sort their isseus out.
Maybe hire Jordan as their counceler/psyichiatrist?

adrianjordan

I'm reading things as heading towards a Merc deal from next season, unless Honda come good soon then I don't see any other way for Mclaren to retain Alonso...and if they don't retain him, then who do they have that can get the results they need..??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

etusch

adrianjordan wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 12:45
I'm reading things as heading towards a Merc deal from next season, unless Honda come good soon then I don't see any other way for Mclaren to retain Alonso...and if they don't retain him, then who do they have that can get the results they need..??
How they are trying to keep Alonso they have to try hard to keep Honda too, if their only concern is not keep thing just acceptable. As soon as they say we left honda they are new williams.

santos
santos

etusch wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 12:54
adrianjordan wrote:
How they are trying to keep Alonso they have to try hard to keep Honda too, if their only concern is not keep thing just acceptable. As soon as they say we left honda they are new williams.
No they are not going to be the new Williams, whatever that supose to mean. Mclaren have way more resources then Williams. I belive that if they had a mercedes engine, they would be fighting with the top two. If they keep Alonso by replacing Honda... they will be at the top in 2018.

shady
shady

Some people are working themselves up, it will all be ok. Honda are not messing about, and neither is McLaren but it hurts, and there will probably be more pain to come. F1 is not easy, Honda is very prideful, all of the complaints about why arent they in the UK, they have a facility in Milton Keynes, the PU is not wholly developed in Sakura. Language and freight didnt stop the team from dominating 30 years ago, and with all the advancements in telecommunications, I have to assume that has only gotten easier. All of these excuses are lazy, we all want results but 'the board' still includes Ron Dennis though he can be outvoted he still has a very sizeable say. Im holding hope, I feel as though the Honda PU will be better than the Renault by the end of the season, and McH will beat out RBR in the second half, shifting the consternation over to Renault for letting RBR down, less so than McLaren. What happens next year, is next year.. the MCL33 is already under heavy development.

BrunoH
BrunoH

ITs a Catch 21..
they need to be a works team to be at the top!! simple..

having Sauber be a works team and Mclaren not.. its bringing in insult to injury...
again mercedes are always going to do better than Mclaren mercedes.. so they are stuck!

also the Honda unit looks to be the lighter of all the PU... thats an advantage they will want to retain once the PU gets within acceptable levels maybe on of the reasons the Chassis this year is good!! low center of gravity.. low weight...
... its too late in the game for change.. 3 years.. now they have to go all the way.. otherwise they risk having a second tier mercedes engine ( for sure the best of the best is for MErcedes itself.. and also believe the ECU for mercedes settings is different than of the other mercedes teams... and Honda delivering in the 4 or 5th year... by then they will be in no man´s land again...

its a horrible situation because there is no winning way out! at least for this year and the next...

marmer
marmer

Why do they need to be a works team to win red bull are faster than Renault this season. If being works somehow allows you to get extra power from the engine we are not talking about huge gains I would guess around half a second per lap would be the maximum which is smaller than the current gap between Renault and Mercedes. So if red bull had a Mercedes engine it would be likely they would be fighting for the championship dispite not being a works team they nearly are without the best engine so Ron was wrong when he said you cannot win

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

diffuser

If a deal with Merc is a "done deal"... what would be the point in keeping it a secret ?

etusch

santos wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 13:18
etusch wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 12:54
adrianjordan wrote:
No they are not going to be the new Williams, whatever that supose to mean. Mclaren have way more resources then Williams. I belive that if they had a mercedes engine, they would be fighting with the top two. If they keep Alonso by replacing Honda... they will be at the top in 2018.
Mclaren have source but this is not source matter, this is mentallity matter and that act only could be doable with williams like mentallity. Mclaren chassis is really good but not that much. You are saying that mclaren can beat one ferrari and both merc or one merc and both ferrari. No this is not the case. With merc engin I doubt if they beat redbul at every race.

etusch

marmer wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 14:31
Why do they need to be a works team to win red bull are faster than Renault this season. If being works somehow allows you to get extra power from the engine we are not talking about huge gains I would guess around half a second per lap would be the maximum which is smaller than the current gap between Renault and Mercedes. So if red bull had a Mercedes engine it would be likely they would be fighting for the championship dispite not being a works team they nearly are without the best engine so Ron was wrong when he said you cannot win

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
What do you think about that . We assume RBR uses merc PU. RBR and Merc in wdc challange and just 10 bhp is enought to Merc team to get WDC and WCC.
What do you think Renault team and RBR in same situation ?
You can't be sure even in current condition that Renault team PU doesn't works better than Renault PU at RBR