Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jackles-UK

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Owen.C93 wrote:Brake ducts aren't fitted in that image.

Here's a super hi res image of the low DF front wing that I won't embed for now.
http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 1855.2.jpg
Do all teams form their FW endplates into aerofoils? Seems like an elegant way of accelerating the airflow around the front wheels (if it works!).

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Regarding the turning vane on the sidepod:

In an interview with Gary Anderson on the BBC coverage during FP2, Sam Michael states that it simply gives them more rear downforce.

So clearly it is helping with keeping the flow attached over the sidepods
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

godlameroso

Any pictures from Button's rear wing?
Saishū kōnā

scarlet
scarlet

Beyond the differences in rear wings, Jenson still had great speed through the middle sector. Looks like the updated sidepods are giving him the rear downforce he needs.

Banki
Banki

Hamilton had same problem last year.... OMG

Shrieker

What's the difference between the wings Hamilton and Button were running today ? Any pics for comparision ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

wesley123
wesley123

from what I saw they both ran the same wing. Hamilton spoke of a different wing choice, could be he had a different wing yesterday and chose the same one as Button for today? That seems the most plausible conclusion at the moment.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

boyracer94
boyracer94

I believe the new wing has slightly different endplates, but not sure about the planes. There is a pic back a few pages.

endless
endless

Shrieker wrote:What's the difference between the wings Hamilton and Button were running today ? Any pics for comparision ?
Hamilton's rear wing

Button's rear wing

godlameroso

Apparently they ran the Hungary wing on Lewis's car, and a new wing on Jensen's car.
Saishū kōnā

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

First driver gets the upgrades first :)

(yes I know)

Paul

If you look at sector times, Lewis was slightly faster in sector two, but lost in first and third, which indeed indicates different approaches to straight/corner performance. And Jenson's choice seems to be a much better one, unless this negatively affects tyre degradation in the race.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Maybe the DRS works better with the new wing so in the race where DRS isn't really used then the high DF config might not be such a bad idea.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Shrieker

@endless,

Thanks a lot mate :mrgreen:

If you put the pics side by side and look carefully, it's obvious that Hamilton's rw main plane and DRS flap are bigger. They are angled by a lot more too. The RW Button has might be specifically desigend for Spa and Monza. Remember that Hamilton made a wrong choice back in Monza 2010 qualy which arguably cost him the title. If he can not find a way to finish ahead of Alonso and Raikkonen tomorrow, it'll be a long long shot.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

turbof1

But why didn't he get the same rear wing as button? Hamilton spoke of a 0,4s advantage the new rear wing gave. Surely that would have put him at 4th place.
#AeroFrodo