F1 Quiz Chain

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: F1 Quiz Chain

Sorry Ted, wrong on both counts, we're talking 1973.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

xwz
xwz

Ferrari's first monocoque.
As for the designer of that particular version of the 312B3 - that's really a very good question, just registered to say that I don't have the answer .-)
As far as I know, the 312B3's are in general credited to Mauro Forghieri. But for some time in 73, after the spazzaneve, and before sucess of the later version of the B3, after Forghieri had been re-installed through Fiat's influence, he indeed was not in charge as a designer. No idea who was, though #-o .-)

xpensive
xpensive

After the original B3 "Spazzaneve" in late 72, Forghieri was for some reason transferred to Ferrari's "experimental department" and the unknown Sandro Colombo designed the B3 in the picture above, indeed Ferraris first monocoque, hopeless nevertheless.

Sadly for Jacky Ickx, who left after the 73 British GP, Forghieri came back to re-work the B3, see below, a winner in 1974.

This is actually Jacky Ickx making a guest appearence at Monza, had he known the potential for 74, he would have been WDC.

Clay Regazzoni in the 1974 Ferrari 312 B3, lost the WDC to Emerson Fittipaldi, behind, in the season's last race.

You get the baton for a great answer and dedication to become a member xwz, welcome!

xwz
xwz

My pleasure .-) - as it happened to be Niki Lauda who finally drove the 312B3 to success, and who to the general public is mostly known for his fire-accident in the 312T2 - name five other GP-drivers of Austrian nationality, whose career was distinctively influenced or ended by (edit to clarify: their own) accidents in F1, include track and year.

xpensive
xpensive

Helmut Koinigg - Died in a crash at 1974 US GP at Watkins Glen driving a Surtees TS 16.
Jochen Rindt - Killed when crashing his wingless Lotus 72 at Monza in 1970.
Helmut Marko - Lost his left eye from a stone thrown by Emerson Fittipaldi's Lotus at Clermont-Ferrand in 1972.
Roland Ratzenberger - Died in a crash at San Marino in 1994, driving a Simtek S941

Bah, can't figure the fifth one, but Harald Ertl was killed in a plane crash 1982, close enough?

xwz
xwz

Well not quite - apart from not being F1 related at all, Ertl's fatal accident happened almost four years after his last grand prix.
Rindt, while considering himself Austrian and competing for Austria on an Austrian Licence, nevertheless was of German Nationality.
Marko, Koinigg and Ratzenberger are correct.
Last edited by xwz on 31 Mar 2014, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

xpensive
xpensive

Kindly identify "Nationality", was Rindt carrying a german passport?

xwz
xwz

Yes, Rindt was born in Germany and held only a German passport - he raced for Austria, but was of German nationality; I just edited that in.

xpensive
xpensive

I rest my case, but 3 out of five ain't so bad.

Good luck with the rest, otherwise I'll be back in 48 hours with a poisonous one.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

We can add Karl Wendlinger to the list for head injuries in the Monaco 1994 race.

Still not five though eh?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

zonk
zonk

Otto Stuppacher At the 1976 Italian Grand Prix he failed to qualify by a considerable margin, but subsequently he was promoted up the order when three other cars had their times disallowed due to fuel irregularities. Unfortunately, Stuppacher had already left the circuit and returned home, and was unable to get back to the circuit in time to race

xpensive
xpensive

Noooo, that was my next question, Otto Stuppacher was Phillippe Adams of the 70s, a legend in parity with Al Pease!!!

xwz
xwz

Wendlinger, yes.

Well the fifth is maybe not so obvious - he lives to tell the tale, and even though after recovering he continued to race in f1 for some more years, he considered himself slower after that crash, as he simply was not able to go for the highest risk any more.

So whoever names him first, gets the baton .-)

zonk
zonk

Niki Lauda

( a ) replaced ( b) passport photo with what Ron Dennis described as "an equivalent-sized piece of male genitalia". ( b ) fame meant he rarely had his passport checked, but on a later trip to Argentina ( a ) prank resulted in officials holding the ( b ) for 24 hours. As a response to this gag, ( b ) superglued all of ( a ) credit cards together.

who is ( a )
who is ( b )
Last edited by zonk on 31 Mar 2014, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

Richard
Richard

The question stated "other" Austrian drivers, ie in addition to Lauda.