Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SchuMassa
SchuMassa

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

stefan_
stefan_

Brazil:

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

aral
aral

SchuMassa wrote:Image
Very interesting! Merc are now fitting skid blocks to the TOP of their front wing endplates! :lol: :lol: :lol:

RichardF1

gilgen wrote:
Very interesting! Merc are now fitting skid blocks to the TOP of their front wing endplates! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe that'll give them more front downforce :lol:
WWKD- What would Kimi do?

aleks_ader

Norbert Haug wrote:"We are definitely starting without [the Coanda exhausts].

Haug added that the way the Coanda exhausts were impacting on tyre temperatures left the team feeling that it would gain more running without them.

"We think it still has an influence on heating the tyres. There is also a little bit of a lack of aero downforce which we could not improve compared to the others.
LINKS or check on autosport...

"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Forza

Brazil - Thursday

Last edited by Forza on 23 Nov 2012, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.

Huntresa
Huntresa

How is it not possible to copy something and have it work atleast better then the previous version, when everyone else seems to be able to, both this year and last year... Its beyond me... After 3 years, wouldnt you know if the organization is in a bad shape and needs a re think ? And by that i dont mean just adding ppl like costa etc i mean the whole chain of ppl, as in from the top to the floor and how work is distributed, cause somewhere along the chain something is fukkn up.

elf341
elf341

Aero-sensors, yay.

wesley123
wesley123

why would they run aero sensors there? To measure exhaust flow or are they having stalling problems with the rear wing?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

yener

wesley123 wrote:why would they run aero sensors there? To measure exhaust flow or are they having stalling problems with the rear wing?
They gave up on the w03 a couple races ago. And since last week they are using every weekend as a "test" weekend. Free miles.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Timstr
Timstr

The pressure array is to gauge tyre wake effects of the 2013 tyres versus 2012 tyres I think.

wesley123
wesley123

Timstr wrote:The pressure array is to gauge tyre wake effects of the 2013 tyres versus 2012 tyres I think.
If the tire wake reaches the area between the end plates then they did a really crappy job. Ah well, seems pretty likely, they are the only team to not get the coanda to work and ditched it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Coefficient
Coefficient

wesley123 wrote:
Timstr wrote:The pressure array is to gauge tyre wake effects of the 2013 tyres versus 2012 tyres I think.
If the tire wake reaches the area between the end plates then they did a really crappy job. Ah well, seems pretty likely, they are the only team to not get the coanda to work and ditched it.
Williams didn't get on top of it either, they don't seem to need it though.

I'm scepticle as to whether Force India, Caterham, Torro Rosso etc have got it working properly as well to be honest. I have a feeling they stuck it on and it was no worse than the old format so just stuck with it in the hope they'd figure it out as the season progessed. If it's good for half a second when used properly Caterham should have been light years ahead of Marussia, Force India should have been closer to the pre-coanda Lotus and Torro Rosso, hard to say because they've had 2 rookies that won't be too hot on development yet.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Forza

Brazil - Thursday
Friday Free Practice
Edit:
Last edited by Forza on 23 Nov 2012, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Timstr
Timstr

wesley123 wrote:
Front tyre wake has an effect on the entire car.