Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
speedy56
speedy56

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

McG wrote:Button only made up places due to good strategy and other people messing up. So I'm pleased that there was a good strategy but worried that Button couldn't overtake people.
Well, how could overtake today at all? Only Bottas who was much quicker than guys ahead.

McG

Haha yeah he was flying. Poor Massa. How good would it have been to see 2 Williams fighting 2 McLarens! Oh well maybe next race.
F1 is dead.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

adrianjordan

So honestly, who expected McLaren to come away from the first race leading the WCC..??

I didn't and I'm a huge McLaren fan.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

McG

I didn't know what to expect, but I always hope for a McLaren 1-2. Maybe too much hope, but it's McLaren, maybe even if we expect the best it's not expecting too much.
F1 is dead.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

adrianjordan wrote:So honestly, who expected McLaren to come away from the first race leading the WCC..??

I didn't and I'm a huge McLaren fan.
I'm McLaren fan as well, and I didn't expect this neither. But to be fair, they have had some luck. Mercs are not as reliable causing Hamilton's DNF. And Williams didn't have muck luck neither. I don't know where to place RB, maybe if they wouldn't have played tricks with the fuel sensor they would have been slower. I think MCL is no match for Merc, but Merc has poor reliability. I guess MCL is racing Williams at the moment, with RB behand them.

2-3 was with a bit of luck, but hey, sometimes luck can be on our side as well :-D

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Despite the fact Mercedes seems to house a huge amount of power and certainly weren't near their full strenght,
I say Mclaren has a significant amount of speed to gain still the coming races. They looked stronger in testing then
they did in AUS, though Magnussen surprised with an amazing performance.

Mclaren did leap a good jump forward compared to last year, but, there are too many variables at play to really say
where they are. I'm sure lots more of DNF's will follow and safety car situations will rise coming season, but, taking
into account just what happened during the race, it's still pretty unclear where they are.

They look strong, and they must have room for improvement, but i don't think they're as strong as Mercedes.
I'm curious as to what updates might improve the Macca, but, looking at the weekend, it seems like Williams is
actually stronger then Mclaren. Bottas did a great drive, but to be honest, i really don't see him as a class act driver,
and felipe had the upper hand all the while - too bad felipe had a DNF, but the Williams was very potent there, i'd say
it looks more potent than Mclaren at this point.
Mclaren however might have a package that can 'evolve' better throughout the year.
Ron Dennis didn't seem too confident in the car to be honest. Magnussen's performance clearly impressed him very positively - but he seemed to lack 'overconfidence' in the actual car.

Still glad Mclaren is leading the WCC at this point.

IF RedBull really did 'take advantage' on fuel consumption (a sensor issue doesnt neccesarily mean they really did take such a huge advantage, would like to know the actual figures to be honest), then that means Danny should have driven a tad slower, and that would have suggested Magnussen actually could have taken that 2nd place in battle, even more the impressive.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

McG

Pretty weird seeing McLaren without any rocket red on their car. I was watching the race with my dad who isn't as knowledgeable as some about F 1 and he asked where are McLaren? Then I had to tell him that they are running without the usual red in their livery.
F1 is dead.

Pup
Pup

Button says that there will definitely be new bits for Malaysia...
"We have upgrades for the next race, but I still don't think it will be enough to challenge them just yet. If it can put us into the gap between them and everyone else then that will be a good step forward. We just have to keep pushing the team for upgrades, but they have already got their heads down and there is some good stuff coming in the pipeline. I don't know when a win will happen, but it's what we are working towards."
http://www.espn.co.uk/mclaren/motorspor ... 49957.html

Gridlock

McG wrote:Pretty weird seeing McLaren without any rocket red on their car.
I'm open to correction on this but I believe technically they never ran 'rocket red' on the car, all the red bits would have been Vodafone red?

Pup
Pup

Good interview with Dennis...

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014031 ... _campaign=
“It’s a luxury not to have a role in the team, if you stand back, you can watch what’s going on. The thing is, everybody is receptive to change, everybody knows we have to change, and when you change things you get better. The outcome of today was a really good team effort. They called the pit stops at the right time, they were agile with the safety car, stops were all well executed, tire utilization, fuel; everything was well executed.

“I’m pleased about the discipline of the team. Everyone knows what we have to do, and we’ve just got to get on and do it.”
“We don’t have the pace yet, but these earlier races are when you can accumulate points. We have very clear milestones of input performance; we know when we can realistically expect to win races. Don’t ask the question, I’m not going to tell you. You don’t arrive back where you want to be just overnight, it takes time.

bauc

Gridlock wrote:
McG wrote:Pretty weird seeing McLaren without any rocket red on their car.
I'm open to correction on this but I believe technically they never ran 'rocket red' on the car, all the red bits would have been Vodafone red?
Nope, they had it before with West as well
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

McG

I'm also open to correction but I think vodafone actually changed their shade of red to fit McLaren. I think I remember reading it somewhere. Maybe there were several shades of red I don't know. But all I know is that its strange to see McLaren without red. I even have a little tattoo that has the McLaren red logo. It's part of bigge non F1 tattoo so not like I went crazy!
F1 is dead.

bauc

McG wrote:I'm also open to correction but I think vodafone actually changed their shade of red to fit McLaren. I think I remember reading it somewhere. Maybe there were several shades of red I don't know. But all I know is that its strange to see McLaren without red. I even have a little tattoo that has the McLaren red logo. It's part of bigge non F1 tattoo so not like I went crazy!
Maybe they (Vodafone) have changed the shade of the color but the most important thing is the overall looks of the car and I'm just hoping that the rocket red will be back in the next race with possibly a new title sponsor on the car?!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg