Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

CAEdevice wrote: Thank you Machin. Only one thing: COP is a costant value (1650mm). My car as a COP aound 1800mm, how can I take it into account simulating the best lap?
Having your COP around 1800mm compared to the ideal of 1650mm will make very little difference -lap time will be slightly slower (a couple of tenths of a second most likely depending on how much downforce you have: the more downforce you have overall the more effect COP will have on lap time), but remember we are almost certainly going to apply a small correction to the actual COP to bring it closer to the optimum COP so the time loss will be even less, this means that you shouldn't feel the need to do multiple CFD runs to get the COP exactly right. But you are right: I should give you guys the option of changing COP so you can see how it affects lap times. I will unlock this option.. but I'm not home tonight and won't be able to do it for a couple of days.

Now personally, if it were me and I got a CFD result with a COP slightly too far back I would simply increase the incidence of one or two front wing flaps slightly before I submitted the car for the race....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
CAEdevice wrote: Thank you Machin. Only one thing: COP is a costant value (1650mm). My car as a COP aound 1800mm, how can I take it into account simulating the best lap?
Having your COP around 1800mm compared to the ideal of 1650mm will make very little difference -lap time will be slightly slower (a couple of tenths of a second most likely depending on how much downforce you have: the more downforce you have overall the more effect COP will have on lap time), but remember we are almost certainly going to apply a small correction to the actual COP to bring it closer to the optimum COP so the time loss will be even less, this means that you shouldn't feel the need to do multiple CFD runs to get the COP exactly right. But you are right: I should give you guys the option of changing COP so you can see how it affects lap times. I will unlock this option.. but I'm not home tonight and won't be able to do it for a couple of days.

Now personally, if it were me and I got a CFD result with a COP slightly too far back I would simply increase the incidence of one or two front wing flaps slightly before I submitted the car for the race....
Thank you! At the moment mI use a CFD package different from OCCFD, and the error about COP can reach 20%... so there is no need to hurry to unlock that option.

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
Awesome. I like the "kill markings" on the rear deck: -I might be inclined to add "1st" in front of each one! Can't wait to see the full car!
Wow! So that is the car with Cl.A bigger than 10 :)

You improved very much your modeling. Are you still using Sketchup? I can find similarities in the rear part with my car. I'll publish something as soon as I can (maybe tomorrow).

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
variante wrote: Awesome. I like the "kill markings" on the rear deck: -I might be inclined to add "1st" in front of each one! Can't wait to see the full car!
If I wrote a kill marking on my car I should always write "4th" place... hope to reach the podium this year (the absence of Cdsavage could help :D ).

variante

CAEdevice wrote:Are you still using Sketchup? I can find similarities in the rear part with my car. I'll publish something as soon as I can (maybe tomorrow).
Yep, still SketchUp. I find that software brilliant (with some plugins...) as it allows you to model anything in pretty much no time, thanks to its versatility, ease of use and minimalism. Unfortunately it lacks the parametric component among many others features... But i still prefere it over some big names such as SolidWorks (maybe because non ci ho ancora preso la mano...).

Can't wait to see your car!

About the Cl.A: if you allow me to make some speculations, it looks like JJR has reached a considerable level of downforce too. And despite the absence of cdsavage, there are at least 4 other people who could claim and deserve a place on the podium...

variante

machin wrote: I like the "kill markings" on the rear deck: -I might be inclined to add "1st" in front of each one!
Already too much haughtiness for my taste :D

MadMatt
MadMatt

At the moment I fear that I cannot even participate to the first round. I haven't been able to work on the car since January and it is illegal now due to that cooling rule. I have too much work on my plate with my job at the moment, but I still hope I can find a bit of time to at least correct my model. It won't go tested but at least I can use this first round as a practice run. We will see!

That is a nice car variante, I like it! Looks like you will have a lot of front downforce that you will have to balance with the rear, which I think won't be easy due to the rules! :)

I think achieving a CL.A of 10 won't be that easy, unless you want a CD.A of 5! :P

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:Are you still using Sketchup? I can find similarities in the rear part with my car. I'll publish something as soon as I can (maybe tomorrow).
Yep, still SketchUp. I find that software brilliant (with some plugins...) as it allows you to model anything in pretty much no time, thanks to its versatility, ease of use and minimalism. Unfortunately it lacks the parametric component among many others features... But i still prefere it over some big names such as SolidWorks (maybe because non ci ho ancora preso la mano...).

Can't wait to see your car!

About the Cl.A: if you allow me to make some speculations, it looks like JJR has reached a considerable level of downforce too. And despite the absence of cdsavage, there are at least 4 other people who could claim and deserve a place on the podium...
My impression is the for the first three races there will be the same three names on the podium (I think I'll be, as always, around the 4th place), but in the last two races I'm quite optimist about reaching the podium, considering not only downforce, but efficiency.

CAEdevice

MadMatt wrote:At the moment I fear that I cannot even participate to the first round. I haven't been able to work on the car since January and it is illegal now due to that cooling rule. I have too much work on my plate with my job at the moment, but I still hope I can find a bit of time to at least correct my model. It won't go tested but at least I can use this first round as a practice run. We will see!

That is a nice car variante, I like it! Looks like you will have a lot of front downforce that you will have to balance with the rear, which I think won't be easy due to the rules! :)

I think achieving a CL.A of 10 won't be that easy, unless you want a CD.A of 5! :P
Why are you saying that? My car for the first race has been already complted and I'll run with it even if I'm very far from Cl.A=10 (to be honest, I'm around 5.5...). But I have some interesting solution for the next races that I hadn't time to model yet. But why don't take some points with the first race in the meanwhile?

MadMatt
MadMatt

CAEdevice wrote:
MadMatt wrote:At the moment I fear that I cannot even participate to the first round. I haven't been able to work on the car since January and it is illegal now due to that cooling rule. I have too much work on my plate with my job at the moment, but I still hope I can find a bit of time to at least correct my model. It won't go tested but at least I can use this first round as a practice run. We will see!

Why are you saying that? My car for the first race has been already complted and I'll run with it even if I'm very far from Cl.A=10 (to be honest, I'm around 5.5...). But I have some interesting solution for the next races that I hadn't time to model yet. But why don't take some points with the first race in the meanwhile?
I will try my best! I am not worried about CL.A, at the moment I need to find these few extra hours to redesign my engine cooling inlet before the competition starts, and find a bit of extra time to balance the car (I am a bit off the 45/55 balance at the moment).

I will try this weekend to look for an extra spot, we will see! :)

I haven't been much around the forum lately, and everytime I am on it, it is during a break (either from work, or either from work at home)! Sorry for the off topic guys! :)

RicME85

I have 90% of the car done and legal, havent worked on it in a while though and currently lost interest again, hopefully it will return soon.

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

Thanks for the rendering. The competition is getting interesting... A few more weeks to go until the first race.

etsmc
etsmc

so i have a stl file with what i think are all the parts named correctly. how can i check this. of if i post a link to the STL would someone check it..

RicME85

Send it to Chris to check

MadMatt
MadMatt

I managed to get rid of a task on Sunday so I will have time to make my car legal and post a picture of it! :D

I wonder what people will achieve in the first race. I cannot stop thinking about that "CL.A of 10" thing, I wonder if someone can achieve this (and keep efficiency at a reasonable level)!