2014 Engine yin yang

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mkable1370
mkable1370

Re: 2014 Engine yin yang

langwadt wrote:
xpensive wrote:There are rumors they have integrated the plugs in the individual valves, making the engine a quad spark, or quattro scintilla.

If this is true, Don's team will have a jump on all else from the word go!
that is easy, the rules say only one spark plug per cylinder ..
What you are describing has been around for a bit in various forms. Bosch patented a version in 1999. Denso patented a version more recently. I'm sure there are others as well...

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.a ... 2000000738

http://www.google.com/patents/EP1916413B1?cl=en

wuzak
wuzak

mkable1370 wrote:
langwadt wrote:
xpensive wrote:There are rumors they have integrated the plugs in the individual valves, making the engine a quad spark, or quattro scintilla.

If this is true, Don's team will have a jump on all else from the word go!
that is easy, the rules say only one spark plug per cylinder ..
What you are describing has been around for a bit in various forms. Bosch patented a version in 1999. Denso patented a version more recently. I'm sure there are others as well...

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.a ... 2000000738

http://www.google.com/patents/EP1916413B1?cl=en
X said put the spark plugs in the valves - not the injector.

The first issue is what to do with the sodium used for cooling in the exhaust valves.
The second would be the time it takes for the electrical contact to spark erode the valve stem, or for the HT wire to break.

PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

My sources say that Mercedes are using some new technology called "nyctinastic valves" in their engine.
Because of the elastic nature of these nyctinastic valves, they would break apart with the high rpm limit of previous years' regulations, but the present formula's lower rpm limit makes these nysctinastic valves viable. We are talking about serious flow increases with these valves... The rumored 100hp gain is an exaggeration with the fuel flow limits but it was not unfounded... the Mercedes engine definitely has an sizable advantage this year.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

Tim.Wright

n smikle wrote:My sources say that Mercedes are using some new technology called "nyctinastic valves" in their engine....
Is this the same source (tetrahydrocannabinol?) that said Red Bull had solid rocket fuel in their exhausts?
Not the engineer at Force India

Richard
Richard

n smikle wrote:My sources say that Mercedes are using some new technology called nyctinastic valves
Are you sure about that? So these will be valves that operate on a circadian rhythm? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nyctinastic

Maybe Mercedes have uncovered some form of unobtanium to release extra energy from the limited fuel that no other team has managed to release, nor any combustion engineer in the history of the ICE. Or maybe not.

turbof1

My super awesome and totally real sources tell me that Mercedes found a way to circumvent the fuel limit by placing fuel in an alternate dimension. Rumors are FIA is having trouble to ban this due lack of knowledge of how mercedes broke the laws of physics.

Next time I'll try to let you believe 9/11 conspiracy theories
#AeroFrodo

simieski
simieski

richard_leeds wrote:
n smikle wrote:My sources say that Mercedes are using some new technology called nyctinastic valves
Are you sure about that? So these will be valves that operate on a circadian rhythm? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nyctinastic
Would certainly be a disaster for night races!
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

PlatinumZealot

Tim.Wright wrote:
n smikle wrote:My sources say that Mercedes are using some new technology called "nyctinastic valves" in their engine....
Is this the same source (tetrahydrocannabinol?) that said Red Bull had solid rocket fuel in their exhausts?
Surprised at theaccuracy? 8)

LxVxFxHxN

PlatinumZealot

richard_leeds wrote:

Maybe Mercedes have uncovered some form of unobtanium to release extra energy from the limited fuel that no other team has managed to release, nor any combustion engineer in the history of the ICE. Or maybe not.
A little bit like that yes... but replace circadian with the engine cycles.

A form of legal memory metal is used... the valve changes its shape and return in response to the cam-shaft position mimicking the action of a flower closing up in the night. But only slightly. It's just enough to reduce the outer diameter of the valve seat/face to improve flow and response.

LxVxFxHxN

PhillipM
PhillipM

:lol:

Chuckjr

n smikle wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:

A little bit like that yes... but replace circadian with the engine cycles.

A form of legal memory metal is used... the valve changes its shape and return in response to the cam-shaft position mimicking the action of a flower closing up in the night. But only slightly. It's just enough to reduce the outer diameter of the valve seat/face to improve flow and response.
Come on man. Seriously.
Watching F1 since 1986.

skoop
skoop

there seems to be some fighting about rule interpretation. i'm busy at work right now so i can't translate the whole text myself but here it is google translated. source: AMuS

The turbocharger is one of the most critical components in the new powertrain. In the development phase, all three manufacturers had problems with it. If the charge air is not cooled properly, or the interaction of the wastegate valve and the thermal electric machine ( MGU -H) is not correct, so that the boost pressure rises too high , then the sparks fly .

Mercedes and Renault interpret the rules so that one must attach a protective casing around the turbocharger for security , which then counts the weight of the drive unit. The power unit must weigh with all components at least 145 kilograms.
Renault wants to show film about turbo damage

Said guard is between three and four kilograms. The mass is like the turbo near the top , which is unfavorable for the center of gravity. Whoever saves , has an advantage. Ferrari sees in the regulations no passage that calls this protective device and the motor weight attributes . Maranello holds the forecast from the competition consequences in case of damage to be excessive .

The do not want to accept Mercedes and Renault. Next week there is to be a clarifying conversation with the FIA. Renault will reportedly show a movie that shows what happens when a turbocharger exploded there. Should the three engine manufacturers do not come to an agreement , threatens in Melbourne , the first process.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Well, the rules say that:

"5.18.5
Measures must be taken to ensure that in the event of failure of the turbine wheel any resulting significant debris is contained within the car."

and

"2.3 Dangerous construction:
The stewards of the meeting may exclude a vehicle whose construction is deemed to be dangerous."
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Holm86

Blanchimont wrote:Well, the rules say that:

"5.18.5
Measures must be taken to ensure that in the event of failure of the turbine wheel any resulting significant debris is contained within the car."

and

The stewards of the meeting may exclude a vehicle whose construction is deemed to be dangerous."
As I understand it the fight is over wheather the turbo security casing is part of the engine minimum weight or not.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Holm86 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:Well, the rules say that:

"5.18.5

and

As I understand it the fight is over wheather the turbo security casing is part of the engine minimum weight or not.
Not what the article says but to be honest, who knows!