2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RS200E

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Restomaniac wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 14:40
RS200E wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 14:29
Restomaniac wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 14:12
I'll say one thing about this whole situation. Why when it was clear midweek it was sorted did they delay it? It was well known and the info was bang on, all that happened was that we ended up with a bunch drivers having to lie with the constant line of 'I don't know' when they all obviously did. I counted up at least 7 Hulk, Sainz, Palmer, Ricciardo, Kvyat, Verstappen and Alonso. Just announce it on Thursday instead of the pantomime we have just witnessed.
Because they don't announce it when you or I feel it's necessary, they announce it when it suits them as it's their business, literally.

The question we should ask ourselves is why we are so impatient.
It has nothing to do about when I feel it's necessary. It's about a lack of logic.
Literally almost EVERYONE in and interested in F1 knew about it. All that happened was a bunch of drivers having to lie. It wasn't a secret as everybody knew. If there was a 'surprise' in it then fine, but there wasn't.
Instead of it being announced at the start of the weekend so their news is front and centre they squeeze it in between FP1 and FP2. The Renault boss admitted it was signed days ago. Yet they all left it until the racing starts. Bonkers.
It's nothing to do with what is logical to you, that's the point. What you want isn't what everyone involved in the contract negotiations want.

I'm sure they are very sorry that they didn't announce it a few days ago to suit your superior logic.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

flexcon
flexcon

We all knew Apple were releasing a new iPhone 10 after all the leaks.

Yet they still held out and had a formal event. I work in PR and the amount of re written scripts and changes is phenomenal, often completely illogical and conflicting.

They must have set a date that everything is officially announced, and no point in moving that forward if leaked, as everyone needs to be on the same page. Smaller details like, both team managers free at a certain time, conference calls etc.

I agree the logic would be to announce soon, but, its not unique to this situation and a lot more complicated details behind the scenes delay consistently.
Last edited by flexcon on 15 Sep 2017, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Fahrenheit

It's worth noting that the main actors in these negotiations are listed companies meaning there's a very specific way they have to behave.
That aside, this supposed logic you keep referring to would dictate that you make announcements timed for maximum exposure; if 'everyone' already knows, wait for the best window to let 'everyone else' know too.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

RS200E wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 14:54
Restomaniac wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 14:40
RS200E wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 14:29

Because they don't announce it when you or I feel it's necessary, they announce it when it suits them as it's their business, literally.

The question we should ask ourselves is why we are so impatient.
It has nothing to do about when I feel it's necessary. It's about a lack of logic.
Literally almost EVERYONE in and interested in F1 knew about it. All that happened was a bunch of drivers having to lie. It wasn't a secret as everybody knew. If there was a 'surprise' in it then fine, but there wasn't.
Instead of it being announced at the start of the weekend so their news is front and centre they squeeze it in between FP1 and FP2. The Renault boss admitted it was signed days ago. Yet they all left it until the racing starts. Bonkers.
It's nothing to do with what is logical to you, that's the point. What you want isn't what everyone involved in the contract negotiations want.

I'm sure they are very sorry that they didn't announce it a few days ago to suit your superior logic.
You seem to be throwing it back at me. I think you are missing the point. They won't any more 'news inches', etc. All that happened was a bunch of drivers had to lie. That's it.
You do seem to be getting rather aggressive and sarcastic about it though. Maybe you need to calm down a tad.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Point is a bunch of drivers telling lies and looking foolish on a story that everyone already knew about. Daft is daft.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Mr. Fahrenheit wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 15:08
It's worth noting that the main actors in these negotiations are listed companies meaning there's a very specific way they have to behave.
That aside, this supposed logic you keep referring to would dictate that you make announcements timed for maximum exposure; if 'everyone' already knows, wait for the best window to let 'everyone else' know too.
That's a fair argument but is hidden between FP1 and FP2 the best for maximum exposure? Surely you want it front and centre as the news at the start of the weekend?

Jacinto
Jacinto

RS200E wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 13:17
dren wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:47
Jacinto wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 23:12

Mclaren decline goes way back to 2007. Spygate started the chain of events that brought Mclaren to where it is today.

Until 2007, Mclaren was Mercedes "works team", and had been so for more than a decade. I believe that Mercedes was a Mclaren´s shareholder.

After that scandal, Mercedes set to establish his own team, buying Brawn GP and renaming it "Mercedes AMG Petronas"; Mclaren become just another customer and started the path to midfield trailing his former nemesis, Williams.

Honda was Mclaren´s last chance to return to greatness under current engine rules. Now, it´s clear that Mclaren decided to be midfielder, at least until 2021.
Yes, this is what I was getting at. Ironic, that the decline started the last time Fred was in the car. I remember when people thought Hamilton was crazy for jumping ship to Mercedes.
What the hell you talking about decline.

When Alonso left, Hamilton won the Championship in 2008. Real decline there huh!

2009 was a bad start but an epic show of McLaren's ability to upgrade the car during the season, eventually becoming race winners and 3rd in the championship.

2010 2nd in Constructors championship

2011 2nd in Constructors Championship

2012 3rd in Constructors championship

Then you could say a decline started which was due to firstly a costly but fairly clear design mistake in 2013.

2014 divorce from Mercedes looming.

2015 - 2017 Honda produce worst engine setting McLaren back.

So if there is a decline it was 2013 and 2014, then Honda came which again is clear - crap engine, worst engine in F1.

You should really read up on things before posting.
I believe that you must be very young. You just don´t know Mclaren history.

In the 80´s Mclaren won 5 WDC: 1984 (Lauda), 1985 (Prost), 1986 (Prost), 1988 (Senna), 1989 (Prost)

By 90´s, Mclaren won 4 WDC: 1990 (Senna), 1991 (Senna), 1998 (Mika), 1999 (Mika),

By 2000´s just one: 2008 (Hamilton) - And in 2008, Ferrari had a better car. Mclaren won because they had a top driver (Hamilton), while Ferrari had Felipe Massa and a very lazy Kimi.

From 2010 to 2013, (Red Bull/Vettel years) let´s be honest: No Mclaren driver was a serious contender to WDC, nor Mclaren was a real contender to WCC.

As I said, 2007 was the turning point for Mclaren. After spygate, Mercedes decided that Mclaren was to become just another customer.

Joseki
Joseki

One of the McLaren Aero boys on Twitter:

Bittersweet. I really, really hoped to success with @HondaRacingF1. But it wasn't meant to be.

On the other hand, I'm more than excited with our alliance with @RenaultSportF1. We don't expect a large leap in performance. We know it. (LATER: Apologies for that tweet. It's been taken as I didn't mean it to be. We don't expect, we know we're gonna see a large leap in performance.)

I wish the very best to @HondaRacingF1. Like us, they're relentless. As soon as they put their act together, they'll be a force to be fear.

And I welcome @RenaultSportF1 onboard with open arms. I think this is going to be a great partnership.

And as far as us @McLarenF1 goes, we have a huge mountain to climb this winter. Few people in the office have faced a challenge like this.

We're far from being scared of it. We're more determined than ever to give our best, go the extra mile and beyond. Fueled by bright future.

That was all. #BelieveInMcLarenRenault

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Joseki wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 15:50
One of the McLaren Aero boys on Twitter:

Bittersweet. I really, really hoped to success with @HondaRacingF1. But it wasn't meant to be.

On the other hand, I'm more than excited with our alliance with @RenaultSportF1. We don't expect a large leap in performance. We know it. (LATER: Apologies for that tweet. It's been taken as I didn't mean it to be. We don't expect, we know we're gonna see a large leap in performance.)

I wish the very best to @HondaRacingF1. Like us, they're relentless. As soon as they put their act together, they'll be a force to be fear.

And I welcome @RenaultSportF1 onboard with open arms. I think this is going to be a great partnership.

And as far as us @McLarenF1 goes, we have a huge mountain to climb this winter. Few people in the office have faced a challenge like this.

We're far from being scared of it. We're more determined than ever to give our best, go the extra mile and beyond. Fueled by bright future.

That was all. #BelieveInMcLarenRenault
https://mobile.twitter.com/ivanlda?lang=en

For those who don’t know who Joseki was referring to.

OviJohn
OviJohn

Save this quote please:

More from Honda's motorsport boss: "Next year our goal is to fight for the top three of the grid." #SkyF1 #F1

Just so some folks here remind themselves on who sets "wild or beyond expectation" targets.

marmer
marmer

For those who says it's Ron's fault for making honda enter a year two soon let's not forget they were still not great in the 2nd year anyway and had a whole year of learning on track. Which they wouldn't have had. At current levels of progress I suspect it could have taken at least two years to get level with others from the position they are in now and by then it's time to change engine regulations anyway

GoranF1
GoranF1

I am happy whit the Renault move, but i am a bit concerned that its late to make everything perfect whit the new PU.
Renault had that problem when they were late whit Mercedes PU and also when they were late whit Renault PU last year.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Mad
Mad

OviJohn wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 16:35
Save this quote please:

More from Honda's motorsport boss: "Next year our goal is to fight for the top three of the grid." #SkyF1 #F1

Just so some folks here remind themselves on who sets "wild or beyond expectation" targets.
Maybe he meant the top 3 in terms of engine?
Last edited by Mad on 15 Sep 2017, 17:34, edited 3 times in total.

Phil

Andres125sx wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 08:21
Phil wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 13:06
Andres125sx wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 19:05

Do you really think McLaren F1 Team will make that crucial decision based on the opinion of one of his drivers??? :wtf: #-o
If that driver is also key to many sponsors, absolutely.

McLaren seems to be going a long way in an attempt to keep their star driver happy... Indy500 for example?
Keeping your star driver happy and provide him with team principal status are too different things Phil :roll:
You reply to one, but ignored the other. See above for the part you missed.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jolle
Jolle

The biggest question now is, who is going to bankroll McLaren...
from 1980 to 1996-ish it was Philip Morris, then from 1997-ish to 2012 Mercedes (then a few difficult years) and Honda for the past three years.

besides the trouble they've got themselves in with being a car manufacturer now (which implies they should make their own PU, or at least, as they did with Porsche, outsource it), no big sportscar brand want's to link with them.

If Porsche/VW, BMW or Toyota/Lexus should make a choice, they would go and talk with RedBull over McLaren in a heartbeat (even if RB hasn't been to pleasant to Renault in the past)

Zak Brown hasn't got an easy job at the moment.....