2012 Monaco GP - Monte Carlo

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
bhall
bhall

Re: Monaco GP 2012 - Monte Carlo

Even weirder is that whoever wins will likely be the 6th different winner this year.

ParanoiD

If I'm not mistaken, Kimi was P3 here 2009.

As it is claim as a driver's track and there are quite number of great driver with a potentially great car. I will expect real close racing at the front and chaos during pit as it is difficult to overtake on track and teams might opted to use pit strategy to jump the car in front.

And will see which celeb/VIPs will be there :p
Ay Carumba!

Harvey
Harvey

Last night, I had quite a few very strange dreams. I won't go into them all, but in one of them I went into a betting shop and laid a £20 on a Renault 1-2 in Monaco. I think I may have to carry through with this, just to see what happens...

PlatinumZealot

Renault has the most raw down-force this year.. so it's quite possible. Then again we haven't seen the Monaco spec wings or the Monaco spec gearboxes and steering racks. Anything can happen, and it will.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Pierce89

n smikle wrote:Renault has the most raw down-force this year.. so it's quite possible. Then again we haven't seen the Monaco spec wings or the Monaco spec gearboxes and steering racks. Anything can happen, and it will.
I'd say Renault has the best L/D, but the most raw downforce? They have the highest top speed. I just don't believe they have highest DF and top speed.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

Alonso is MIGHTY in the Principality.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

raymondu999

I think we all know he is - but I don't't think he's the only one. Hamilton will be quick here, as I suspect will Raikkonen and Vettel. After all Raikkonen and Vettel hold the 1st and 2nd fastest laps in Monaco history. I think Raikkonen holds the 3rd fastest lap too.

Button has a pole and dominant win here, but I think in equal conditions and cars, his driving style and lines aren't really optimal for Monaco.

Schumacher and Rosberg have traditionally been fast here too, at least over a single flier.

I think we'll have a similar situation to last year where a driver tries to one-stop and is hounded down by 2/3-stoppers for the victory.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr Alcatraz

All very true ray, but as they say "at Monaco the first car around the first corner wins quite often" :P
Quali will be key!!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

raymondu999

Yeah - but my point is in terms of quali, I'd bet on Hamilton Vettel or Raikkonen on pole. Alonso could come close but I think he will fall short - just. In terms of raw one-lap speed around Monaco I think those 3 have the edge on Alonso.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hail22

raymondu999 wrote: After all Raikkonen and Vettel hold the 1st and 2nd fastest laps in Monaco history. I think Raikkonen holds the 3rd fastest lap too.
Fastest in "Monaco History"

Lap Record: 1:14.439 - M Schumacher (2004)

(provided by the Formula 1 website).

Interesting they haven't placed Vettels time as the fastest on record, that would mean its not officially deemed "the fastest"?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

That's the lap record, which is about fastest ever "race" lap. In terms of the quickest lap ever in Monaco that's Raikkonen in Q2 2006. Second quickest is Vettel's pole last year, and 3rd quickest (I think) is Raikkonen on pole in 2005.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mcalex
mcalex

If they can get enough heat in the tyres for one all-out lap I think Kimi could be on pole
And somehow I'm getting the feeling that he'll be 2012 WDC ( OK, I wish :mrgreen: )

prince
prince

This would probably be most spiciest Monaco GP ever, with magic tyres and incident filled history of monaco. In my guess, atleast there would be two safety car periods. Anyone who accommodates those periods would end up grabbing up the win. There will atleast be an incident by turn 1. Like always, overtaking should happen in pits, i mean undercut. Out of tunnel overtaking could be dangerous if the marble deposit increases.

Anyone know Hembrey's phone number, just to find out whom they have decided to allocate winning set of tyres. :-)

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

This is probably going to be the most important qualifying in 2012.

Even with people on different strategies, overtaking is going to be a complete nightmare and people are going to get massively held up as those who they are actually racing for position against start to get suffer tyre degradation.

Mr Alcatraz

raymondu999 wrote:Yeah - but my point is in terms of quali, I'd bet on Hamilton Vettel or Raikkonen on pole. Alonso could come close but I think he will fall short - just. In terms of raw one-lap speed around Monaco I think those 3 have the edge on Alonso.
A good point ray, however I think pole will go to whoever has the balls to take q3 all out with no fear of binning it. I'll put my money on Alonso
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand