2023 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Oct 27 - 29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wouter

Re: 2023 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Oct 27 - 29

stephen wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 20:53
Max Verstappen to have extra security for Mexico GP due to online threats.
For the people who wunder why he needs protection:
On another forum you could read the following:
I was watching some videos on YouTube and reading the comments.
At first I could laugh about it because I thought that a few loners were suffering from some frustration in combination with a shortage of brain cells.
I quickly got over the laughter when you read what those (particularly) Mexicans wrote. They are completely off track. These are conspiracy theorists 8.0.
They think it is entirely justified that Max is being threatened with death, it is his own fault and they hope that the cartels will do their work.
Reason for this?
-Max and Jos would pay RB a lot of money to sabotage Checo's car so that Checo would crash. RB is happy to work with this, so they don't have to pay a lump sum and they get rid of Checo. (yes they really believe it)
-Brazil 2022 is reason enough
-The now well-known story that Max gets a better car (and that is because of Jos, who demands it)
And so there are numerous theories about Max, Jos, Sofia, Kelly, Helmut, Horner, with the common denominator: These are the scum of the world, who do everything they can to make Perez's life miserable and are to blame for the poor performance from Perez.

We cannot imagine the hatred that is spewed there. You think it can't get any crazier, but then you read another comment to find out that it can get even crazier.
And what is completely absurd is that the people who wish that Max would not survive this trip call the Max fans toxic.
So those people are really not on the right track and the disturbing thing is that there are many of them and they really believe in their own delusions. With full conviction.
Helmut Marko and Horner have asked Perez to address his fans about their behavior in Austin; that their behavior is unacceptable and they should behave respectfully towards all drivers.
Did he do that during the press conference? I couldn't watch the PC.
How would Perez feel about his own fans booing and wishing death on his own teammate, his family and RBR?

This was on Wednesday at a Telcel Event (sponsor). Max with his two bodyguards. #-o
Helmut Marko: "Max doesn’t actually want that and is relaxed. But we have responsibility for him. So we just want to be on the safe side."

The Power of Dreams!

DDopey
DDopey

And right at this moment comes Hamilton to do this now; https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/245210/h ... t-all.html
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 27 Oct 2023, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed inappropriate word

search

Wouter wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 09:30
Helmut Marko and Horner have asked Perez to address his fans about their behavior in Austin; that their behavior is unacceptable and they should behave respectfully towards all drivers.
Did he do that during the press conference? I couldn't watch the PC.
Austrian yellow press quotes Perez saying "I want Mexico to come out and to support the whole Red Bull team - not just me".

And yellow press is imo also where this whole story belongs, by the way.

chrstphrln

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 08:59
Acapulco completely destroyed, not a single power line made it through the storm... Military on the streets doing cleanup, many presumed dead and missing... Wonder if it will affect the race...
Not likely. Mexico City is about 450 kilometers inland and Acapulco's power supply is only affected because of the destroyed local lines.

DDopey
DDopey

SiLo wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 10:50
DDopey wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 10:05
And right at this moment comes Hamilton to do this now; https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/245210/h ... t-all.html
Did you even bother to read the article?
He literally says in the article Red Bull did not help Perez, putting more fuel to the fire.
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 27 Oct 2023, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit previous post

ali623
ali623

DDopey wrote:
He's actually very supportive of Perez here, and clearly referencing Marko regarding people in Red Bull not helping him. He's not wrong.
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 27 Oct 2023, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed line in quote

Sieper

He is wrong to time that now. I have come to expect nothing less of him.

TNTHead

I think drivers should not comment on the situations of drivers of other teams. They don't know the details.

So this seems to me one of the mind games HAM is known for and doesn't help in respecting him.

DDopey
DDopey

ali623 wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 11:14
DDopey wrote:
He's actually very supportive of Perez here, and clearly referencing Marko regarding people in Red Bull not helping him. He's not wrong.
At the moment Max is getting death threats from the fan side of Perez up to where Max now even needs more security. And you think it is a good idea for Lewis to fuel that fire, really ?

Wouter

TNTHead wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 11:28
I think drivers should not comment on the situations of drivers of other teams. They don't know the details.

So this seems to me one of the mind games HAM is known for and doesn't help in respecting him.
Exactly!

So I think this is a very bad thing on Lewis's part. The F1 world is very small and it cannot have escaped Lewis' notice that death threats have been made towards Max, his family and Helmut. It cannot have escaped his notice that Max has extra security as a result of those threats.
As one of the figureheads of F1, Lewis can do 2 things here: try to de-escalate or add fuel to the fire.
Lewis consciously chooses the latter and, through his choice of words, also makes a big impression on the Mexican fans.
2 birds with one stone, making RB the enemy and endearing himself.
This man is ............ #-o This is how Lewis is and how we know him!
The Power of Dreams!

mzivtins
mzivtins

TNTHead wrote:

You can't bring a bystander into this issue.

The issue is with the fans being toxic, dont let them get away with it by pretending these two events are anywhere on par with each other.

clownfish
clownfish

You can't really win as a driver. A reporter asks you a question and you answer it, you get hammered for "adding fuel to the fire". You toe the corporate line and keep schtum and you're a "PR robot".
Last edited by clownfish on 27 Oct 2023, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

SiLo

clownfish wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 12:14
You can't really win as a driver. A reporter asks you a question and you answer it, you get hammered for "adding fuel to the fire". You tow the corporate line and keep schtum and you're a "PR robot".
And then idiots online add more fuel by insulting them.

Of all the drivers on the grid, Lewis is probably the best placed to comment on how Perez has been treated by Marko, which is clearly what he was alluding to in his comment. Really it just seems like some people would rather focus on Lewis, than the obvious issue of a team owner making racist remarks about his own driver and how it might impact them mentally.

I would also like to point out that we don't know the question that Lewis was asked, but seeing as it was an interview with a Mexican media outlet, he was probably directly asked about Perez. He's not going to just say "yeah but what about Max" in response to a direct question.
Felipe Baby!

Wouter

SiLo wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 12:34
clownfish wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 12:14
You can't really win as a driver. A reporter asks you a question and you answer it, you get hammered for "adding fuel to the fire". You tow the corporate line and keep schtum and you're a "PR robot".
And then idiots online add more fuel by insulting them.

Of all the drivers on the grid, Lewis is probably the best placed to comment on how Perez has been treated by Marko, which is clearly what he was alluding to in his comment. Really it just seems like some people would rather focus on Lewis, than the obvious issue of a team owner making racist remarks about his own driver and how it might impact them mentally.

I would also like to point out that we don't know the question that Lewis was asked, but seeing as it was an interview with a Mexican media outlet, he was probably directly asked about Perez. He's not going to just say "yeah but what about Max" in response to a direct question.
Read the article in English. He said it in the media pen.

https://esto-com-mx.translate.goog/7742 ... r_pto=wapp
The Power of Dreams!

mcdenife
mcdenife

Wouter wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 11:42
TNTHead wrote:

Exactly!

So I think this is a very bad thing on Lewis's part. The F1 world is very small and it cannot have escaped Lewis' notice that death threats have been made towards Max, his family and Helmut. It cannot have escaped his notice that Max has extra security as a result of those threats.
As one of the figureheads of F1, Lewis can do 2 things here: try to de-escalate or add fuel to the fire.
Lewis consciously chooses the latter and, through his choice of words, also makes a big impression on the Mexican fans.
2 birds with one stone, making RB the enemy and endearing himself.
This man is ............ #-o This is how Lewis is and how we know him!
Had a quick look on all the official and prominent F1 or associated media not one has mentioned anything to do with threats or anyone needing to employ bodyguards etc and why.

So, unless LH himself trawls through all online comments (X, Youtube, other Fora/media - F1 related or otherwise), why would it not have escaped his notice re threats?
His responses to questions he was asked were nothing to do with said threats (but you choose to conflate the 2 to support whatever your opinion is of LH). The F1 world maybe small but it seems to have escaped you that these are from outside the 'F1 world'?
There are so many comments, ideas, opinions, trash talk going on out there in the ether, none of which belong on this forum, but you choose to trawl for these kinds of threats/comments and bring them into this forum knowing full well they would not be tolerated .....If anyone is interested in these other Fora, grouping, media etc, I am sure they are quite capable of joining and contributing to whatever discussion is going on there but that is where they should stay.
Until you dragged that into this Forum, few on this forum would have been aware of them unless they are/were members of/contributed to those types of discussions on those types of fora/media.

The race weekend has barely started and already the thread is being dragged into the gutter. Who is fanning the flames? him or you?
Please stop poluting the forum. Respond on the appropriate related forum/medium if you must but keep it there.
Last edited by mcdenife on 27 Oct 2023, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.