Flexible wings 2011

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
kakogohrena
kakogohrena

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

Malaysia Qual

wesley123
wesley123

In that pic it looks flexing alot more then it really is. look at the different ride height.

I think that Horners story about rake might as well contain alot of truth, the car seems to have more or less flexing at any circuit, on the pic posted above me there is alot more flexing then there was visible in Melbourne. I think it is really rake bonded, now they are running more rake allowing the front wing to be pushed down more easily.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

adrianjordan

I'm not sure that we're seeing anything other than a reflection, that's there in 1 shot and not in the other, on the nose camera.

If you ignore the wheels and suspension though, there is definitely some movement in the front wing endplates relative to the bodywork (to which they are attached).
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

adrianjordan wrote:I'm not sure that we're seeing anything other than a reflection, that's there in 1 shot and not in the other, on the nose camera.

If you ignore the wheels and suspension though, there is definitely some movement in the front wing endplates relative to the bodywork (to which they are attached).
Don't forget the camera we are seeing it from is a fixed point of view relative to the wing, so it's definately flexing. It does seem as the the RB7's nose dives alot more than any other car.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Flexible wings 2011

In the bottom view of the RBR nose section posted earlier, what is the shape of the carbon fiber section above the mechanic's hand?

Brian

Lindz

hardingfv32 wrote:In the bottom view of the RBR nose section posted earlier, what is the shape of the carbon fiber section above the mechanic's hand?

Brian
The turning vanes that hang down below the nose/tub between the front wheels. They've been there since the launch (and all cars have them).

Tozza Mazza

From what i saw earlier, Red Bull's wing was flexing around 5mm, Toro Rosso's about 3mm (weird how they're both Red Bull, mutual sponsor giving them the tech), Mclarens about 3mm, and Renaults about 2mm. Mercedes's front wing didnt move, could this be partly to explain there lack of performance?

thestig84
thestig84

HampusA - Judging from the lap time on screen that is the last corner. Even the Redbull (let alone the others pictured) is not going to show up any obvious flexing on a slow speed hairpin.

Afterburner

Diesel wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:I'm not sure that we're seeing anything other than a reflection, that's there in 1 shot and not in the other, on the nose camera.

Don't forget the camera we are seeing it from is a fixed point of view relative to the wing, so it's definately flexing. It does seem as the the RB7's nose dives alot more than any other car.
+1

The bodywork doesn't seem to move but i'm seeing the wing a nose flexing while the safety cell keeps at the same place.

kakogohrena
kakogohrena

compare two screens from qualifying session today
http://mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page=srs&s=13

Afterburner

Stop rake story, they'r wing and nose flex, and RB are gaining advantage from it, now all other teams will go on that direction. All blame goes to FIA.

Shrieker

Afterburner wrote:Stop rake story, they'r wing and nose flex, and RB are gaining advantage from it, now all other teams will go on that direction. All blame goes to FIA.
+1.

That is a dangerous way to go. The wing/nose (any part of the car for that matter) shouldn't be flexing, it compromises safety greatly. That's the main reason there are anti-flex rules and tests.

So why are Red Bull still allowed to use flexing parts ? I can't think of any other possibilities than I list below:

a) The FIA have become so incompetent they can not introduce a static test to prevent this sort of flexing (which I personally don't buy into).

b) Red Bull are blatantly being favored.

In either condition FIA s..ks b..ls, hard.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

HampusA

thestig84 wrote:HampusA - Judging from the lap time on screen that is the last corner. Even the Redbull (let alone the others pictured) is not going to show up any obvious flexing on a slow speed hairpin.
facepalm...

It´s ment to show the rake of the cars. Therefore last turn, mid corner where no brake inputs (or very little) and no throttle inputs is in play.

It just happened that last corner had the best camera angle on this.
The truth will come out...

HampusA

wesley123 wrote:In that pic it looks flexing alot more then it really is. look at the different ride height.

I think that Horners story about rake might as well contain alot of truth, the car seems to have more or less flexing at any circuit, on the pic posted above me there is alot more flexing then there was visible in Melbourne. I think it is really rake bonded, now they are running more rake allowing the front wing to be pushed down more easily.
Stop believing Horner. He´s playing mind games since day 1.

The car has a tiny bit more rake then the Mclaren. Their argument does not hold up.
The truth will come out...

Richard
Richard

Thanks for those HampusA

It would be interesting to see how they change at high speed. Does the RB stay high while others squat?