2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ollandos
ollandos

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

some people try to make us to believe mclaren chassis have anchors................on russia gp mclaren loose 1.2sec on sector one with 2 straights and one corner....what kind chassis can have that effect???.... #-o #-o #-o ....only possible reason is anchor.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Any comparison with chassis/Renault engine has to be with Red Bull. And....Renault power isn't that far ahead of Honda so that gap ain't just engine.

Comparing times with Renault works team is a false comparison.

Soichiro
Soichiro

baybars wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 09:23
wyy did not you compare with redbull.
Renault chassis not good as McLaren and Renault said that said they will concentrate on the race instead of qualifying.
Because they were thereabout in positions and eliminated about the same Q2/Q3
Because Renault was "the middle" performing team of the Renault powered cars

And from Hulkenberg it sounded to me he they did all they could to get in front of the McLaren Honda.

You should take into consideration that they did not make it into Q3 at some races (usually best times) and wet weather at Monza (gamble). They were -0.6 to Renault (at Monza) but I intentionally added Alonso's time for reference (because of the weather).

techman
techman

Next year we might hear "We aren't winning despite having a great chassis is because Renault supplied us late".

Only this time Renault won't be as polite as Honda.

absolutely correct. mclaren have some excuses now. the reality is this chassis is a high drag chassis and it will get exposed by next season. they cant hide anymore. redbull is the bench mark chassis and will embarrass mclaren. hondas only fault i find is that they are too soft. but with the french they will now take any bs from mclaren

HPD

It was a funny atmosphere at the press conference of McLaren-Honda two hours after qualifying for GP Singapore. Actually the mood after the starting points 8 and 9 should have been omitted, but the first public appearance after announcement of the divorce seemed more like a funeral. Red Bull was more pleased with the performance of Toro Rosso's future engine partner than the affected ones. "They even have a qualifying mode," said Motorsportchef Helmut Marko.

Fernando Alonso commented coolly: "We wanted both cars in the Q3 and with both cars in the points. Part 1 of the task is done. "It would not have been much better if the round was not perfect, the Spaniard admitted:" Maybe I would have overtaken Hülkenberg, but not more. "

Places 4 and 5 after the third practice gave hope for more. Stoffel Vandoorne said: "We've done everything in the third session. The others may not. We were surprised in the third session. The positions in the qualification were in the area of the expected. "

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... isch%29%29

Singabule
Singabule

We will see improvement in renault chasis as well, dont take them so lightly. MCL would only catching their shadow, but it is what it is. But i praise their owner and current management because they have ball to decide their future, either good or bad it depends on renault, RB, and honda

Steven
Owner

Some fan discussions have been ejected to the fanboy yin-yang thread
Off-topic MotoGP deviation was deleted
Some further warnings were handed

And again: gratuitous negativity will result in immediate user warnings!

Alonso Fan

Wow almost up to third for Alonso, then unfortunately being the innocent one in a crash, now down in 12th

Ah well its a long race
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Mad
Mad

Sorry to be off topic but Poor Ferrari, Poor poor Ferrari.

Sad for alonso too, he was about to take 3rd. Big opportunity missed. Would have been a nice farewell for HOnda and Mclaren.

BeardedAce
BeardedAce

Can someone explain why the pitstops are so bad for this team?

j.yank
j.yank

If we try to figure of what is the performance of McLaren chassis we should compare RedBull with Renault. It seems that the gap between these two Renault engine teams is about 0.8 sec. This is due to RedBull quality of chassis. At the same time, McLaren is behind Renault about 0.1 sec. So, it means that McLaren chassis compensate about 0.7 sec weakness from Honda engine. This means that the gap to the front (about 1.5 sec) is almost 1/3 by chassis, 2/3 by PU. OK, but this is not the whole story. The chassis performance is mostly due to downforce, drag, balance, weight, traction, and suspension. All of these have very complex inter-connections between each other. My guess is that this 0.7 sec performance of the chassis comparing to Renault is half due to aero and suspension, half by lighter Honda engine and better balance again because of the Honda engine. IMO they will be again behind RedBull next year. We will see this next year.

Steven
Owner

In-race comments have been deleted from this thread

HPD

Bad luck for Alonso, I think it could be fourth or third.
Disappointing race, I expected more in this circuit.
Horrible pit stop.

Let's hope the next race is better...

loner

para bellum.

proteus

Does Alonso get new free engine and gearbox due to the crash?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows