Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zgred

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

pascaljackson
pascaljackson

what a beast of a DDD

Afterburner

It looks a TDD to me...

timbo
timbo

pascaljackson wrote:what a beast of a DDD
Yeah, but it seems that they have suspension members and over stuff inside the channel. May hinder its effectivness somewhat.
Last edited by timbo on 01 Feb 2010, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

shotzski

It looks a TDD to me...
Yeah. Seems like so. If my eyes aren't deceiving me, I could see vertical fins just below the Bridgestone decal. And notice the dark area in the middle of the engine cover. Seems like a slot for air to pass through.

zgred

Strange slit in the sidepod

horse

zgred wrote:Image
Doesn't look like the extra airbox holes vent through the rear wing, in this picture.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

myurr
myurr

timbo wrote:
pascaljackson wrote:what a beast of a DDD
Yeah, but it seems that they have suspension members and over stuff inside the channel. May hinder its effectivness somewhat.
You sure? It's really hard to see but it looks to me that the drive shaft and suspension arms connect just behind the top deck of the diffuser.

Edit: By just behind I mean just the other side of - ie. in front of the diffuser when looking at the car from the front.

myurr
myurr

One thing that no one else has commented on is the lack of clutter on top of the McLaren nose. On the launch car there was a single fin, and at the test only a single Pitot tube has been added. Is this a sign of the lengths they've gone to in reducing the drag of their car!?

myurr
myurr

zgred wrote:Image

Strange slit in the sidepod
According to scarbs twitter feed they've opened the other side up now as well. Looks like a way of reducing the air flow through the side pods - bit like when they used to close off part of the entrance. Perhaps this is a more efficient method of achieving the same end result.

f1rules
f1rules

no suspension parts inside the mclaren diff, if you go back and look at the pics, so third floor of the diff goes all the way up to the beamwing, and uses that as an extension :wtf: amazing, this mclaren diff make all other look old

Raptor22
Raptor22

all the sculpting is lovely but largely ineffective if teh diffusor has no unbroken boundary.
the "levels in the Mclaren diffusor don;t all look unbrokjen or uninterupted at all.

Still looks like a DD.

zgred

myurr wrote:
zgred wrote: Strange slit in the sidepod
According to scarbs twitter feed they've opened the other side up now as well. Looks like a way of reducing the air flow through the side pods - bit like when they used to close off part of the entrance. Perhaps this is a more efficient method of achieving the same end result.
Yes according to track data from the 2010 Winter Testing Thread:
WhiteBlue wrote:Circuit status: Air temperature: 13 ° C
Track temperature: 30 °
So maybe they can decrease flow to the radiators.

Pup
Pup

There's a faint shadow along the upper element of the rear wing. Could that be a slot?

Raptor22
Raptor22

Pup wrote:There's a faint shadow along the upper element of the rear wing. Could that be a slot?

Yes I noticed that too. Its possibly the missing slot