2009 Testing - March (Jerez & Barcelona)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mattclinch

Re: March Testing Thread 2009 (Jerez & Barcelona)

vall wrote:do I se correctly that the corners of the floor are curved up? Especially, on the front side of the cut. Is that legal? Isn't the floor supposed to be flat?
only where there is bodywork directly above it i believe - extra areas of floor that are outside the footprint of the bodywork are allowed to not be flat.

the phrase "clutching at straws" comes to mind when i see McLaren's floor and rear end..

Shaddock

natef1 wrote:McLaren back to their old tricks

If they are still using paint & birdcages at this late stage then IMO there CFD modelling/simulation software that they use to design new parts is still not programmed correctly. Fundamentally they don’t appear to understand and be able to model the cars aero performance and the interaction of the various components. McLaren are supposed to redesign every new part for there cars every 20 minutes. At the moment they seem to be designing ‘blind’ with the new aero parts leaving the factory with a lot of crossed fingers that they will improve the cars performance.

I’m no expert with CFD, but I’m guessing that they will have to reprogram this software once they work out which aero factor(s) they have missed out of the their aero model or which part of the algorithm they need to re factor so this becomes a reliable tool once more. With a testing ban looming, if McLaren don’t figure out what’s gone wrong then I think we can expect to see more paint and birdcages at race weekends, as the team try to understand cause and effect of their current aero package.

Callum

vall wrote:Macca improved a bit, but from the paint one can say that they still have severe problems and the new parts again did not work quite as expected?
It's only flow visulisation, i dont think it means they have severe problems... It means they want to see what the air is doing around the car.

mcdenife
mcdenife

Fundamentally they don’t appear to understand and be able to model the cars aero performance and the interaction of the various components.
Either that or they are not testing components together hence they paint/oil to determine/predict how the components will interact when they are all on the car. I dont this will happen till thursday when they have the track to themselves and which may be private so there may not be any photos. This means we probably wont see their definitive package till Oz.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Shaddock

mcdenife wrote:
Fundamentally they don’t appear to understand and be able to model the cars aero performance and the interaction of the various components.
Either that or they are not testing components together hence they paint/oil to determine/predict how the components will interact when they are all on the car. I dont this will happen till thursday when they have the track to themselves and which may be private so there may not be any photos. This means we probably wont see their definitive package till Oz.
But surely that’s what CFD is supposed to do for the aero guys. They should be able to see the airflow on their monitors, alter the shape of the diffuser, rear wing, etc and observer how the flow changes.

“Toet believes CFD is crucial to aerodynamic development, chiefly for the colossal amount of information it generates. For example, with the wind tunnel, if the team looks at the brake cooling system, they might get a couple of numbers telling them how much air is going through it—that’s about it. Thanks to CFD, they are able to look inside the intake hole and see what the air is doing as it flows toward the disc. Working with that much detail, the team knows they can make the car better.
Lewis notes that by trying out design changes with CFD on a computer, there is no need to build a prototype—a process that could easily add thousands—tens of thousands—of dollars to the cost of developing new cars. And, as he points out, the tiniest change on the surface of the car can affect the airflow over the whole surface”

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Shaddock wrote:I’m no expert with CFD, but I’m guessing that they will have to reprogram this software once they work out which aero factor(s) they have missed out of the their aero model or which part of the algorithm they need to re factor so this becomes a reliable tool once more.
It'll be a combination of boundary conditions being incorrect and simple modelling limitations. Mainly boundary conditions - I would suspect the tyre deformations as its the big change from last year to this.

No doubt they will have used LES to try and get a handle on the turbulence, but with incorrect boundary conditions, your going nowhere.

Garbage in = Garbage out.

Moanlower

Times so far today:

1. J. Button Brawn GP BGP 001 1:17.844 77 pit
2. N. Rosberg Williams FW31 1:18.071 +0.227 58 pit
3. N. Piquet Jr. Renault R29 1:18.382 +0.538 77 pit
4. L. Hamilton McLaren MP4-24 1:19.121 +1.277 53 pit

Nelson clocked just about the same time as Ferni yesterday. I wonder what explanation the Piquet critasters will have now. Yes, his setup skills sucks compared to the Master which is quite logic. Thats also the reason why Alonso mostly took care of that while Nelson just focussed on reliabilty during previous tests.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

mcdenife
mcdenife

But surely that’s what CFD is supposed to do for the aero guys. They should be able to see the airflow on their monitors, alter the shape of the diffuser, rear wing, etc and observer how the flow changes.
Well yes, they will see the airflow on their monitors but that is just the design phase and if it was that simple, there will be no need for testing. They still need to test how the part a) behaves in service and b) how it interacts with other components etc.
CFD cannot show you how components behave in actual service, they can only predict but this is very dependent on your input parameters.
Last edited by mcdenife on 17 Mar 2009, 15:08, edited 3 times in total.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Shaddock

Garbage in = MP4/24 Out #-o

vall
vall

yeap, this is it. What I do not understand is that last few years they had the best aero package, so the CFD worked. The CFD code doesn't really care what you plug into it. One should be able to model accurately the flow on any surface, of course if it is not very complex. It seems to me that this year with the simplified bodywork, CFD should give more accurate results. Last year there were all these ugly wing, winglets, appendices, etc. which to me should runnign make CFD more unreliable? But, I am not an expert. Should someone with the knowledge comment on the differences to run CFD now and previous years?

Me feeling is that the car has some fundamental problems that make the whole package not working. Not that mechanical, aero, etc., taken individually are bad, but rather when put together the package doesn't work. I may be wrong

andartop
andartop

Moanlower wrote:I wonder what explanation the Piquet critasters will have now...
Possibly the same explanation with Brawn Gp doubters and Lewis Hamilton followers: non-comparable as in different weight, day, car ie..
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

vall wrote:The CFD code doesn't really care what you plug into it.
Unfortunately, no, it really, really, really cares what you put into it.

vall wrote: Should someone with the knowledge comment on the differences to run CFD now and previous years?
Its all in the boundary conditions you use.

As I said earlier, I'm suspecting the tyres, as they are the biggest change from last year to this - modelling how the tyre deforms under load/unload is critical to good aerodynamics - and it is also far more complex than modelling a deforming wing.

Look how Renault went horribly wrong in 2007 - there is history for it - and I *believe* it is where McLaren's problems lie.

Note also - incorrectly modelling the tyre deformations will affect the wind tunnel* as well as CFD - which is why the tunnel didn't pick up on the problem until the car was on track.

* the tyres in a tunnel are independent of the chassis aero loading - so the teams control how they react through the stings.

Shaddock

vall wrote:
yeap, this is it. What I do not understand is that last few years they had the best aero package, so the CFD worked. The CFD code doesn't really care what you plug into it. One should be able to model accurately the flow on any surface, of course if it is not very complex. It seems to me that this year with the simplified bodywork, CFD should give more accurate results. Last year there were all these ugly wing, winglets, appendices, etc. which to me should runnign make CFD more unreliable? But, I am not an expert. Should someone with the knowledge comment on the differences to run CFD now and previous years?

Me feeling is that the car has some fundamental problems that make the whole package not working. Not that mechanical, aero, etc., taken individually are bad, but rather when put together the package doesn't work. I may be wrong
Maybe some part of the software algorithm is out of its operating limits, similar to Hooke's law due to the comprehensive rule changes. The bird cage and the paint experiments still emphasise the fact that they don’t trust what they are seeing on the monitors back in the office.

Miguel
Miguel

kilcoo316 wrote:* the tyres in a tunnel are independent of the chassis aero loading - so the teams control how they react through the stings.
Mmm... this made me think about how wind tunnels work. Please note that I am severely allergic to labs, and that I'm no engineer, so I've never been told how these things are supposed to be.

I imagine that in the case of an aircraft or something that flies, you hold the model as far as possible from the walls in order to avoid "ground effects" with steel wires or a small mount in the CG or whatever. But what happens in a rolling floor wind tunnel for a car/bike? Doesn't it work like, I don't know, a giant running machines, like in the gyms? Excuse my naivety, please. If you had a big "mat" running just under the floor, with the rest being static, I suppose you'd be missing stuff due to the still wheels plus introducing spurious effects due to the ground-moving floor interaction. Maybe they are not that important in the design stages?

Also, one final question to the experts: what is more accurate today? A well done calculation or a 60% model on a rolling floor wind tunnel? My money would be in the wind tunnel, but after seeing several teams struggle with calibrations, I'm no longer that sure.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Fil

Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).