McLaren vs Lewis

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: McLaren vs Lewis

richard_leeds wrote:any upset reflects more on the intolerance of people who are unable to take it at face value.
So race is fair game in the humour stakes? How did Hamilton, Mclaren and most english media react to the Spanish fans that were "blacking it up" in Barcelona in 2008?

I guess the intolerance must only be a one way thing then eh, richard?
More could have been done.
David Purley

beelsebob
beelsebob

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:any upset reflects more on the intolerance of people who are unable to take it at face value.
So race is fair game in the humour stakes? How did Hamilton, Mclaren and most english media react to the Spanish fans that were "blacking it up" in Barcelona in 2008?

You seem to not understand the concept of a joke.

"Is it cos I is black" is an obvious quote from a comedian and stated to be a joke.
Painting your face black as an insult to a driver you dislike is not.

Richard
Richard

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:So race is fair game in the humour stakes?
Yes. Ali G is perfect example, as are Stephen Amos and Omid Djalili.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Of course I totally dont get the humour at all, I mean its not like I ever watched the 11 oclock show or Ali G or any of the Brass eye specials(<<<brilliant).

"Is it coz I is Black" WAS funny 10 years ago. It is no longer relevant.

Hell Ali G doesnt even exist and has been preceded by 2 generations of other Sacha Baron Cohen characters, Borat and Bruno. So please, about this being funny, it lost its resonance at least 5 years ago.
So to use an outdated phrase When you are clearly livid having called two fellow drivers frikkin ridiculous is quite telling actually.

I guess he must be joking about that right...only he went and apologised on twitter for his "stupid comments".

EDIT FOR HANGAKU >>>> HE JUST PLAIN APOLOGISED

Better now?
Last edited by JohnsonsEvilTwin on 31 May 2011, 15:30, edited 2 times in total.
David Purley

Hangaku

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Of course I totally dont get the humour at all, I mean its not like I ever watched the 11 oclock show or Ali G or any of the Brass eye specials(<<<brilliant).

"Is it coz I is Black" WAS funny 10 years ago. It is no longer relevant.

Hell Ali G doesnt even exist and has been preceded by 2 generations of other Sacha Baron Cohen characters, Borat and Bruno. So please, spare the clap trap about this being funny, it lost its resonance at least 5 years ago.
So to use an outdated phrase When you are clearly livid having called two fellow drivers frikkin ridiculous is quite telling actually.

I guess he must be joking about that right...only he went and apologised on twitter for his "stupid comments".
Lies again.

Here is his twitter account: http://twitter.com/#!/LewisHamilton

No mentions of the word "stupid".
Yer.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Oh my bad Hangaku...

Does that change the "colour" of things :wink:
Last edited by JohnsonsEvilTwin on 31 May 2011, 15:08, edited 2 times in total.
David Purley

Richard
Richard

JET - So your main gripe is that he was quoting old comedy?

Hangaku

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Oh my bad Hangaku...

Well, when you're misquoting things (or trying to misdirect) to try and bolster your argument, then it pretty much does.

Also, not taking bait :P
Yer.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Hangaku wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Oh my bad Hangaku...

Well, when you're misquoting things (or trying to misdirect) to try and bolster your argument, then it pretty much does.

Also, not taking bait :P
Its my excessive use of inverted commas! I see the error of my ways.
Im going to post an apology on twitter... :lol:

richard

Its my love for him as a great driver, and hate for him as a tempestuos boy that makes me wanna shake him and say, YOUR BETTER THAN THIS!
David Purley

Richard
Richard

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Its my excessive use of inverted commas! I see the error of my ways.
Im going to post an apology on twitter... :lol:

richard

Its my love for him as a great driver, and hate for him as a tempestuos boy that makes me wanna shake him and say, YOUR BETTER THAN THIS!
While you're sorting out your inverted commas, you'd be wise to pay attention to your apostrophes in your "you're". ;)

Hangaku

I hereby invoke Godwin's law.

Please proceed with pictures of dancing cats and references to Nazi Germany.

(don't)
Yer.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

beelsebob wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:

You seem to not understand the concept of a joke.

"Is it cos I is black" is an obvious quote from a comedian and stated to be a joke.
Painting your face black as an insult to a driver you dislike is not.
Was that not a joke by Spanish fans? People blackening up their face has long since been used in comedy before the PC brigade ruined comedy and caused everything to be taken deadly seriously and as offensive even when it was blatantly obvious that there was no offence meant. I’m not a racist and do not condone any racism but a joke is a joke.

I want to be able to openly make jokes about anything. To me everything is fair game for comedy, but I can't 'cos the flipping world has gone mad! If I can’t tell a couple risqué jokes for fear of being over heard then someone speaking to the worlds media sure as hell can’t!

"Is it 'cos I is black" is not an obvious quote unless you are familiar with Ali G. It was a stupid and inappropriate thing to say. I don’t believe that Hamilton had any intention of referencing Ali G, until he realised that his foot was well and truly wedge in his mouth.

JET has a fair point here. I must go and lie down. First I agree with HampusA and now JET. Ye Gods!!!

feynman
feynman

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:10 years ago. It is no longer relevant.
Well technically the Ali G character ran from from 2000-2004, which makes it of virtually identical vintage to Vettel's Crazy Frog. I know which one I'd rather not hear again.

I guess the main point, I didn't actually realise there was such a strict statute of limitations on quoting comedy lines. Are these sell-by dates widely published and available?

On occasion, I sometimes like to reference the odd Laurel & Hardy line, I am now fearful that they are no longer considered relevant, and much scorn and opprobrium shall be heaped on me if I dare attempt it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI9n2K0l-10

... of course the counter argument might actually be that all this splitting hairs over comedy-reference time-lines and supposed expiration thereof is a right old load of posturing nonsense, and is employed simply as an easy stick to use in yet another banal messageboard squabblefest. To make an argument based on comedy character chronology looks kinda flimsy and ridiculous, but whatever works ... I guess.

Richard
Richard

Andrew - The quote from Hamilton was " 'is it cos I is black' as Ali G would say". Which bit was not intended as a reference to Ali G?

Hangaku - Don't mention the war!

(with apologies to JET for recycling comedy from 1975)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

It's my iPad.

I switched the infuriating predictive text off so any punctuation is now manually done.

Vettel is equally guilty of of resurecting the crazy frog!(not really... for fear from being pelted from frog lovers and Vettel fans!)

You cannot beat barrel scrapping humour, anyone whos seen Brass eye and the genius that is chris morris, will either detest it or love it.
But Hamilton may rather have meant what he said alot more than he would have us think....I could be wrong.
David Purley