2012 Brazilian GP - Interlagos

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: 2012 Brazilian GP - Interlagos

More importantly I wonder how things will be in Ferrari (in terms of no 1/2 drivers) next year if Massa outdoes Alonso here again. He's shown well of late. Faster in Japan, Austin, Korea. Some would say faster race pace in Singapore, though I don't necessarily agree with that. Wasn't too bad in Spa either.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Joie de vivre

They had different upgrades.

banibhusan

As far as I remember Massa did not have the new updates for most of these races that Ray pointed out and still he was faster than Alonso. If Alonso was indeed slow with the new updates then why was he having them on the car?

Joie de vivre

They probably didn't know if upgrades work properly. IIRC they shut down wind tunnel in Italy and just started using the Toyota's one.

Or maybe Alonso was just pushing too hard on these tires.

raymondu999

It's really great to see that this thread and the 2010 Abu Dhabi GP thread are getting a similar opening :lol:

I for one hope that the title race goes down on track, with none of those rubbish "to be investigated after the race" and reliability issues deciding the title.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

turbof1

Kinda an unique situation isn't it: Ussually at such an end-season situation the remaining title contenders have clearly the fastest cars in the pack; the none title contenders ussually don't contend for the win then. But what's now: Vettel has one of the fastest cars and doesn't need to win, we have Alonso in a slower car who practically needs to win, and we have Hamilton driving in a car roughly as fast as the Red Bull and who is very much able to win the race. It is very interesting to see a driver there, minding completely his own business, getting involved into the decision of the championship.
It would be very hard to swallow for Alonso if he was second, Hamilton was first and Vettel was 5th.
#AeroFrodo

Lurk

IMHO, he would just say that's racing. Losing the championship by being beaten by a driver who is not a contender is something else to be thrown into a wall by the same driver.

raymondu999

It's not something that would be foreign to Alonso. 2007 - he finished behind Massa, and 2010 - who could forget?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

f1316
f1316

Alonso's never really been able to finish a season a huge high though. In 2005 it was more just making his points lead last and waiting for McLarens to explode, and 2006 was also really given to him by Schumi's retirements (again finishing behind Massa at Interlagos).

You could also argue that he's never had the fastest car, or maybe only for short periods, although 2007 was pretty close I think.

raymondu999

Someone mentioned a couple of races back - does Alonso play too much of a percentage game at season finales?

It's an interesting point.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr
myurr

raymondu999 wrote:Someone mentioned a couple of races back - does Alonso play too much of a percentage game at season finales?

Perhaps, but this time he's not defending a lead. He needs to attack and go for the win, presuming that Ferrari can give him the car to do so. The championship result is then in Vettel's hands in much the same way as Massa in the 2008 season and also the way Vettel took the 2010 season.

Mika1
Mika1

raymondu999 wrote:Someone mentioned a couple of races back - does Alonso play too much of a percentage game at season finales?

The Kimi-collision in Japan ruined his plans.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

I would like to take this moment to apologize if my initial poorly-phrased question has led to a debate people would rather not have. In truth, as I said, I'm just hoping against hope that Ferrari has a chance in this last race, despite my high level of respect for Vettel.

CHT
CHT

Quick question. Vettel vs Alonso - who receive more help and sacrifice from team mate?
Last edited by CHT on 19 Nov 2012, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

It's a tough one. Webber and Massa are, incidentally - both double winners at Interlagos, and both very strong there. (Or is Massa a triple winner here?) With Massa's recent upturn in form it's not too far a stretch of the imagination to imagine him outqualifying Alonso - and potentially (just potentially) Webber outqualifying Vettel.

With that being equal on both counts it falls down to which number 2 is more likely to get ahead (and take points off) the other number 1? I'd say Webber's more likely to be ahead of Alonso than Massa is likely to get ahead of Vettel.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法