Lotus E21 Renault (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Lotus E21 Renault (pre-launch speculation)

richard_leeds wrote:To quote Jane Austin … “It is a truth universally acknowledged that any car image before the launch is not the actual car.”

Einstein then added “If you saw the race car and then travelled on a tram away from that car, you’d realise that the launch car is an apparition that is only relative to the actual race car.”

Marx added “Pre-launch teasers are opium of the people”
Exactly.
turbof1 wrote:I do not think it is the same car. Notice how the sheet is differently placed on the ground.
Look at the stripe where the two parts of the material meet: it is running down the exact direction and points in both pictures - on both rims and on the top N from Genii, Pirelli stripe (it is now thicker), The RW endplates top cut. The different angle is playing with you.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

Yes I noticed the stripe. However, the blanket still lies differently on the 2 images. Noticed that on the blanket is more cropped at the wheels. It could of course still be that someone did that after the first image. Anyhow, we will see later.
#AeroFrodo

xDama
xDama

The blanket is different, 100% sure about that. The car underneath looks the same though.

Pretty sure Lotus will simply 'present' an update E20, with the new livery and nothing more then that.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

spadeflush

turbof1 wrote:I do not think it is the same car. Notice how the sheet is differently placed on the ground.
The pic in the link seems to have been taken some time before the unveiling. The black placard in the background is blank. Last year's car, no doubt
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

fritticaldi

The Italian media is reporting that current GP2 Champion, Davide Valsecchi will be Lotus third driver. The Italian will be present at the official launch this evening.

FrukostScones

xDama wrote:The blanket is different, 100% sure about that. The car underneath looks the same though.

Pretty sure Lotus will simply 'present' an update E20, with the new livery and nothing more then that.
I hope they show us the real thing, but I think you are right. E21 probably still lies in parts in they factory (or already in the trucks) but for playing the early tune hype Kimi bandwagon they will calculatingly deceive the average fan with an E20 masquerade.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

N12ck

I am actually excited, will they go with RBR Coanda Ramp or McLaren Bulges, hmmm
Budding F1 Engineer

KATO

N12ck wrote:I am actually excited, will they go with RBR Coanda Ramp or McLaren Bulges, hmmm
RBCoanda Ramp-?? It was sauber who first used this.... what ever.....
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

Sevach
Sevach

N12ck wrote:I am actually excited, will they go with RBR Coanda Ramp or McLaren Bulges, hmmm
Last season their "bulges" had almost no bulge at all, seamlessly integrated, so i also am very interested on what Lotus will do.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

First Leaks:

Sevach
Sevach

Ramp + overpass it is.

Not too fond of the paint job...

Mika1
Mika1

My eyes! The red colour is terrible!
The boss follows me on twitter.

N12ck

wow nice ramp, but the paint job is strange :shock:
Budding F1 Engineer

FrukostScones

more pictures on autosport forums, step nose, tub keel looks like E20, hole thing looks like E20 with red bull exhaust, can't tell whether it is the real deal... surely it is their presentation car. =D>
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

f1316
f1316

Is it me or does the ramp look very bulky and also very close to the rear tyres?