2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SamH123
SamH123

Re: 2013 Canadian GP - Montreal

No modified tyres for the race: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107752

If Hamilton qualifies pole I reckon a China like performance - just about hanging on to a podium.
A properly wet race would be cool, we've not had that many in recent times. Just Brazil in the last year or so I think

SilverArrow10

The thing is Mercedes often try and do the same strategy as everyone else, such as in Spain and Australia. This does not always work. I think they should just gun it, doesn't matter if they do an extra stop if your fast enough you can do, overtaking on this track is good to, they have two aggressive drivers and an aggressive car and should play to there strengths. Hamilton did this last year to great effect.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

godlameroso

I live outside of Toronto, you can't trust any weather forecast past a few days
4 days ago they said Tuesday would be 68F (20C) and overcast, it ended up being 51F (11C) and rained most of the day.
The weather can be crazy around the Great Lakes this time of the year, Wednesday they say 77F (25C) and overcast
It's only hard to predict the weather around there when the jet stream does "funny" things, most weather analysis takes the pressure zones in the immediate area and the jet stream, and then try to come up with a model that uses principles of thermodynamics and previous weather history, so most weather forecasts will be accurate +/- 4 degrees C of ambient. Again when mass air currents do "funny" things due to variables we haven't foreseen then we get that wild inaccuracy.
Saishū kōnā

f1316
f1316

SilverArrow10 wrote:The thing is Mercedes often try and do the same strategy as everyone else, such as in Spain and Australia. This does not always work. I think they should just gun it, doesn't matter if they do an extra stop if your fast enough you can do, overtaking on this track is good to, they have two aggressive drivers and an aggressive car and should play to there strengths. Hamilton did this last year to great effect.
Yeah, I was basically saying that all last year. They had high top speed and a, supposedly better, DRS, so at tracks where it was more simple to overtake it seemed that the requisite, what, 0.3s per lap to make an extra pit stop should be possible if they were to push.

Nevertheless, I think the current tyres will actually make for a very good race here. It's not huge tyre deg, but should be just enough to make the choice between strategies less than straight forward.

Barca was maybe too many stops, but it's hard on tyres, so it's not as if that would be applied everywhere else. 4 stops was fine in 2011 because it was close race; if Kimi had pushed Alo this year, I'm sure the same would have been true.

bdr529

godlameroso wrote: It's only hard to predict the weather around there when the jet stream does "funny" things,
Not to sound like an ass, but living here for 47 years I can attest that's pretty much everyday,
This is what we got yesterday, and 4 days ago they had no clue, that boat ramp should be a 6 lane highway
like I said the weather can be crazy around the Great Lakes this time of the year

raymondu999

SamH123 wrote:No modified tyres for the race: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107752

If Hamilton qualifies pole I reckon a China like performance - just about hanging on to a podium.
A properly wet race would be cool, we've not had that many in recent times. Just Brazil in the last year or so I think
Brazil was mixed, not really wet.

I prefer races that are full-wet or full-dry, to be honest! :lol:

I suspect a wet race may be Red Bull hunting ground. They've topped most of the wet sessions this year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but have you read about this? The "NEW" tyres will be only tested in Canada and then if the test will be positive they will be introduced in Silverstone.

So two extra experrimental set of tyres for FP1 and FP2

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107752

Already posted sorry :(
SamH123 wrote:No modified tyres for the race: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107752

Redragon

BlackSwan wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but have you read about this? The "NEW" tyres will be only tested in Canada and then if the test will be positive they will be introduced in Silverstone.

I like this process, if Ferrari, Force india and Lotus see that the changes affect them will not approve the changes and they will stuck with the rule that says you don´t change tyres in mid-session. If change don't affect they will tap on Redbull baby back so they can burp a bit and stop crying.

f1316
f1316

raymondu999 wrote:

Brazil was mixed, not really wet.

I prefer races that are full-wet or full-dry, to be honest! :lol:

I suspect a wet race may be Red Bull hunting ground. They've topped most of the wet sessions this year.
Seems like RB and Merc are both good at heating their tyres, which seems to be the key in the wet, so I'd imagine that this would carry through; in Malaysia Merc were looking good before not putting on fresh inters in Q3, which I think was the only reason Ferrari got ahead (and still a good second behind Vettel in the same conditions). So I think it'd be usual suspects for quali regardless of wet or dry (given consistent conditions for all).

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Redragon wrote:
BlackSwan wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but have you read about this? The "NEW" tyres will be only tested in Canada and then if the test will be positive they will be introduced in Silverstone.

I like this process, if Ferrari, Force india and Lotus see that the changes affect them will not approve the changes and they will stuck with the rule that says you don´t change tyres in mid-session. If change don't affect they will tap on Redbull baby back so they can burp a bit and stop crying.
Eh? Pirelli want these changes more than anyone.

Redragon

Jonnycraig wrote:
Redragon wrote:

With Redbull pushing them too.

Vasconia

Pirelli is under a great pressure, those incidents with the tyres(losing big parts) damage their image more than anything else. Obviosly the comments from RB and Mercedes doesnt help but the main reason if the safety.

A wet race could help Mercedes but also RB, Vettel has shown this season that he is very fast under these conditions. It would be great to see a full wet race but nowadays it is almost imposible because under these conditions we will se the safety car doingo more laps thant the F1 cars, which is pretty annoying. :evil:

SectorOne

active suspension would be nice. When it rains everyone must run a rain setting that raises the whole car to negate alot of the aquaplaning.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Pierce89

Jonnycraig wrote:
Redragon wrote:

Actually Pirelli never said a word about changing tires until Red Bull had cried about their perceived superiority being erased by the tires .Red Bull started crying as soon as they saw they couldn't destroy everybody.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher