Ross Brawn leaves Mercedes

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Ross Brawn leaves Mercedes

FoxHound wrote: ...maybe even Zidane in the Lotus/Renault...any accidents could be explained by the "offside rule" and fouls given a public telling off by a shorts wearing whistle blowing Charlie Whiting.
I doubt it, Zidane would probably headbang CW, claiming he was insulting his sister or something?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

munudeges
munudeges

So, Brawn left with his tail between his legs citing issues of 'being the reference'. Why, they seem to have some seniority issues in that team. Oops. Am I allowed to say that out loud? :D

FoxHound

If anything it shows seniority from the management.
They have a clear idea what they want, and feel paddy lowe is the one to deliver that.
If brawn feels he is no subordinate, then its his decison to leave.
JET set

GitanesBlondes

FoxHound wrote:I think Hamilton left Mclaren's stifling environment more than anything else.

What will be interesting to see is if Lowe imposes this environment on mercedes...which I doubt.
But wouldn't it be a great idea to have Beckham in a McLaren?
You could get Del Pierro in a Ferrari and maybe Lothar Mathais in a mercedes...maybe even Zidane in the Lotus/Renault...any accidents could be explained by the "offside rule" and fouls given a public telling off by a shorts wearing whistle blowing Charlie Whiting.
I think Hamilton's problem is his need to be a global brand, and McLaren is a tad more interested in going racing to be quite honest.

I think McLaren has the proper professional atmosphere, just they have an idiot for a team principal. I find it hard to believe if Ron were still sitting on the pitwall this inability to focus on detail would have been tolerated for as long as it has been.

On that last point though, I don't see Charlie blowing any whistles on his own. If anything he'd have his bluetooth earpiece on open line to Sepp Bla---I mean Max Mosley. So difficult to remember who is who at times with the behavior.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

Cocles

Wolff still owns those shares of Williams and is holding onto them until he finds the right person or organization to which to sell them. I'd say Brawn becoming a partial owner of Williams is certainly center stage on the table alongside McLaren and flat out retirement.

FoxHound

Mclaren want exactly the same as hamilton.
They are on a huge brand building exercise of their own.
Getting perez in the car also kinda contravenes the 'going racing' bit but he's done okay in a bit of a dog.

Nevertheless, it could be that Honda wanted Brawn at mclaren. In an interview very recently, he alleged to have smiled on the question of rejoining the honda programme while refusing to comment.
Could be something in that.

If there is, I reckon Whitmarsh will be gone and Brawn his replacement.

On paper it works dandy. But he may just end up retiring and doing the yacht thing F1 people like to do.
JET set

Richard
Richard

Unlocked.... be nice

lebesset
lebesset

http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=157

a final challenge for ross ?

surely the salary wouldn't be the be all and end all of such a deal , rather being a replacement for frank himself until claire is judged ready to take the reins
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

GitanesBlondes

Well I suppose it would be a nice circle for Ross to complete by going back to work for Sir Frank.

Still not optimistic about Williams F1 ever being relevant again.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

Pup
Pup

How out of touch is Sir Frank that he only just now learned that Brawn might be available? :shock:

GitanesBlondes

Pup wrote:How out of touch is Sir Frank that he only just now learned that Brawn might be available? :shock:
Well, he's been out of touch for quite sometime. No real surprise looking at the state of Williams F1 since their last gasp with Montoya and BMW power.

astracrazy
astracrazy

I think Williams will be the only option for Brawn if he is looking for complete control (he'd take Claire under his wing i'd imagine)

There's talk of Mclaren, but i don't see it. I can't see Brawn would want that atmosphere with Dennis and his controlling nature.

antiuser

Pup wrote:How out of touch is Sir Frank that he only just now learned that Brawn might be available? :shock:
I'm pretty sure he knew of Brawn's potential availability before... if not only because he was asked about this possibility by Ted Kravitz on Sunday.

Richard
Richard

We don't know the question that he was answering . It might have been "Did you contact Brawn before he made his announcement?".

.... edit... Worryingly the full quote below infers Frank didn't know? :wtf:
"Naively, perhaps, I am unaware that Ross is available," Sir Frank told Ted Kravitz during Sky F1's coverage of the Abu Dhabi GP.
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12472 ... -available

antiuser

Or it could just be the usual media game. Maybe he couldn't mention what he knew regarding Brawn's then potential availability as his link to Mercedes hadn't been formally severed, or perhaps he didn't want to give away to the press (and to other teams who might want Brawn) what he knew... obfuscation runs deep when it comes to contracts in F1.