Hamilton Vs Rosberg 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1316
f1316

Re: Hamilton Vs Rosberg 2014

I don't see how he could expect to be praised for being the second placed car in every race his team mate has finished. I don't think he could be criticised either, as I think he's still doing a pretty good job, but you can't expect praise for coming second in a two horse race.

Phil

Pierce89 wrote:Of course he would say that about his lead driver. How can he even believe it when Nico has been clearly quicker a couple times lately. "Unbeatable" is fairly ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, over a lap,he's the best, but, in a race, Alonso is easily his equal if not better. Then, of course, he has to make it clear, he won't compare Lewis to any driver he raced against because he has "back in my days" syndrome.
To be honest, I am highly surprised by these comments by Lauda. I usually remember him as being very direct and straight forward in what he sais. He was also usually very critical of Lewis in the past too. While I might not read too much into technical correctness of those comments, I still think they are praise of the highest magnitude coming from a person like Niki Lauda.

While Rosberg was technically quicker during the Spain grandprix - he also used more fuel, was on a different strategy, which makes it hard to compare. Rosberg was always going to be "quicker" at the end, by nature of being on a different tyre. I also think that Niki, who has always been a very technical minded person (rather consistancy playing the "long game" rather than mindless balls-out racing), sees Lewis achievement in Bahrain and Spain from that angle and is impressed that even against all odds, Lewis remained ahead.

Coming back to Rosberg - I don't think many could fault him, or his driving. He's been right there, so close. If I was him, I'd be mostly annoyed (or down) by the praise his team-mate is getting, rather than the results themselves. He knows it's close - and if I were Nico, I'd probably feel that on any given day, the tables might be turn. Can't give more if you're already doing your absolute best - so I guess he can't have any regrets.

IMO - this is one of Lewis's strongest opponents he ever faced (though I guess Alonso would be neck at neck, though that situation was different, different era, different cars, more competition, less points between wins and the rest etc - and Lewis was racing with nothing to lose being the new kid). Button was good, but in a different way. Button was a master at strategy and consistency, but usually not close enough in qualifying. Rosberg is different. He's right there and this time, this is pretty much a two race so far. Then there is also the pressure of not getting a DNF... that applies for both.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Phil wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Of course he would say that about his lead driver. How can he even believe it when Nico has been clearly quicker a couple times lately. "Unbeatable" is fairly ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, over a lap,he's the best, but, in a race, Alonso is easily his equal if not better. Then, of course, he has to make it clear, he won't compare Lewis to any driver he raced against because he has "back in my days" syndrome.
To be honest, I am highly surprised by these comments by Lauda. I usually remember him as being very direct and straight forward in what he sais. He was also usually very critical of Lewis in the past too. While I might not read too much into technical correctness of those comments, I still think they are praise of the highest magnitude coming from a person like Niki Lauda.

While Rosberg was technically quicker during the Spain grandprix - he also used more fuel, was on a different strategy, which makes it hard to compare. Rosberg was always going to be "quicker" at the end, by nature of being on a different tyre. I also think that Niki, who has always been a very technical minded person (rather consistancy playing the "long game" rather than mindless balls-out racing), sees Lewis achievement in Bahrain and Spain from that angle and is impressed that even against all odds, Lewis remained ahead.

Coming back to Rosberg - I don't think many could fault him, or his driving. He's been right there, so close. If I was him, I'd be mostly annoyed (or down) by the praise his team-mate is getting, rather than the results themselves. He knows it's close - and if I were Nico, I'd probably feel that on any given day, the tables might be turn. Can't give more if you're already doing your absolute best - so I guess he can't have any regrets.

IMO - this is one of Lewis's strongest opponents he ever faced (though I guess Alonso would be neck at neck, though that situation was different, different era, different cars, more competition, less points between wins and the rest etc - and Lewis was racing with nothing to lose being the new kid). Button was good, but in a different way. Button was a master at strategy and consistency, but usually not close enough in qualifying. Rosberg is different. He's right there and this time, this is pretty much a two race so far. Then there is also the pressure of not getting a DNF... that applies for both.
Niki just giving credit where credit is due. Ps Nico is just a very very good driver.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

turbof1

Yeah, concerning mind games, Hamilton is playing it:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114066
In an interview published on the official Formula 1 website, Hamilton said: "Let me tell you this: I come from a not-great place in Stevenage and lived on a couch in my dad's apartment - and Nico grew up in Monaco with jets and hotels and boats and all these kind of things - so the hunger is different.
Irony wants that Hamilton at present has a much more flamboyant lifestyle then Rosberg, who although living in Monaco has a much more humble life.

Wait a moment, a celebrity boasting about his or her roots, where did we hear that before?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dly6p4Fu5TE[/youtube]

If I was Rosberg, I would played that song during the press conference. That'd do nicely for mind games.
#AeroFrodo

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

So @TurboF1 have you got any FACTUAL evidence to back up your statement about a more 'flamboyant lifestyle?' Anything will do.

Coming from a MOD....Smh...classy

Ps: the whole notion of mindgames has taken on a new meaning imo. Last year we never heard about anything related to mindgames. The same can be atributed to the Nico is more 'cerebral' dogma. I dont buy into all this media hype and creation of stories that aren't even worth mentioning.
Last edited by Emerson.F on 23 May 2014, 15:33, edited 2 times in total.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

MercedesAMGSpy

turbof1 wrote:Yeah, concerning mind games, Hamilton is playing it:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114066
In an interview published on the official Formula 1 website, Hamilton said: "Let me tell you this: I come from a not-great place in Stevenage and lived on a couch in my dad's apartment - and Nico grew up in Monaco with jets and hotels and boats and all these kind of things - so the hunger is different.
Irony wants that Hamilton at present has a much more flamboyant lifestyle then Rosberg, who although living in Monaco has a much more humble life.

Wait a moment, a celebrity boasting about his or her roots, where did we hear that before?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dly6p4Fu5TE

If I was Rosberg, I would played that song during the press conference. That'd do nicely for mind games.
That's not his point, he said there is a difference between growing up with rich daddy in Monaco and living in Stevenage and that's spot on.

Phil

IMO these aren't mind-games. Mind games would be more creating the perception your team-mate is quicker than you by perhaps driving with a bit of tolerance only to then pull out your full potential when it counts - with the clear goal to share as less information as possible. Or other examples of psychological warfare, where you perhaps say one thing (that you don't necessarely believe), but serves the sole purpose to distract or to cause a stir, a reaction etc.

These interviews and comments are IMO more a result of the press trying to stir up the fight by asking a specific set of questions that logically provoke more or less pre-determined answers. A prime example was during the wednesday press conference when one of the interviewers specifically asked Rosberg what he thought about Lewis publicly saying "he should be dominating Rosberg more". Rosberg was brilliant in his reply by saying that he wouldn't comment on things he hasn't heard himself etc. Not saying of course that there are no mind-games involved by any of them - I'm sure there is. But these interviews and headline grabing sentences are more a result of the press trying to get hits and focusing on questions that provoke sentences like these to be made in the first place.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

iotar__

MercedesAMGSpy wrote: That's not his point, he said there is a difference between growing up with rich daddy in Monaco and living in Stevenage and that's spot on.
1. F1 drivers controversy: "you had it easy in Monaco" is pretty funny. Yes, Hamilton had it tough, born and bread on the mean streets of Stevenage, real skool of life.
2. No the point is: pretending that this "tough" upbringing affects his driving in 2014 is just silly. How about racing career instead? Backing from McLaren before F1, fastest car and suicidal for the team support from Dennis in his first season, fastest car in his second season, and so on.

Questioning motivation of your direct competitor and team-mate means nothing? Mind games or excuse my language: babbling. Speaking their minds by F1 drivers is rare and should be encouraged so it's fine by me but let's not pretend it's random stating facts without context.

MercedesAMGSpy

iotar__ wrote:
MercedesAMGSpy wrote: That's not his point, he said there is a difference between growing up with rich daddy in Monaco and living in Stevenage and that's spot on.
1. F1 drivers controversy: "you had it easy in Monaco" is pretty funny. Yes, Hamilton had it tough, born and bread on the mean streets of Stevenage, real skool of life.
2. No the point is: pretending that this "tough" upbringing affects his driving in 2014 is just silly. How about racing career instead? Backing from McLaren before F1, fastest car and suicidal for the team support from Dennis in his first season, fastest car in his second season, and so on.

Questioning motivation of your direct competitor and team-mate means nothing? Mind games or excuse my language: babbling. Speaking their minds by F1 drivers is rare and should be encouraged so it's fine by me but let's not pretend it's random stating facts without context.
In McLaren eyes Lewis Hamilton earned that support with his talent. You can think/say what you want, but that there is a difference between growing up with daddy Rosberg in Monaco and living in Stevenage is a fact and that's what he said.

Jonesy79
Jonesy79

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:
iotar__ wrote:

In McLaren eyes Lewis Hamilton earned that support with his talent. You can think/say what you want, but that there is a difference between growing up with daddy Rosberg in Monaco and living in Stevenage is a fact and that's what he said.
There is a difference and it may be a "different" kind of hunger or drive but that doesn't mean it is better or worse. Factual they had very different upbringings and that may affect their attitudes towards racing today but not necessarily in a comparable way where one is more significant than the other

alexx_88
alexx_88

Also a fact is that where he and Nico were raised has no relevance to their hunger to succeed NOW. Just think of Senna. Plenty of money, but his attitude towards racing is well known. What Hamilton is saying is non-sense for the point he's trying to make. It was much more important when they were growing up so, the fact that Rosberg reached this far shows exactly the opposite: Nico was hungry to win and willing to give it all DESPITE being raised in Monaco with lots of money.

The difference between these two is in raw speed, where Lewis probably has the edge and probably Rosberg is more in tune with his technical team, being able to prepare a slightly better setup and extract more from these tires. Mind you, as shown in the past few races, I consider these differences to be very small. LH is trying to play mind-games, but I don't think that's his strong suit.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

For completeness, Hamilton went on to say:
"I want to be the hungriest guy in the cockpit from all 22 of us - even if every driver has to believe that he's the hungriest - because if I were to come here believing that Nico is hungrier than me then I might as well go home.

"So I've got to be the hungriest - to win the world championship you need to be the hungriest."
That puts a very different perspective on the earlier quote.

If anything, Hamilton is playing mind games with himself - he's motivating himself. It's a bit odd that he would explain this to the world (and thus potentially give the opposition an insight in to his state of mind) but then Hamilton has been known to speak before thinking...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

turbof1

Emerson.F wrote:So @TurboF1 have you got any FACTUAL evidence to back up your statement about a more 'flamboyant lifestyle?' Anything will do.

Coming from a MOD....Smh...classy

Ps: the whole notion of mindgames has taken on a new meaning imo. Last year we never heard about anything related to mindgames. The same can be atributed to the Nico is more 'cerebral' dogma. I dont buy into all this media hype and creation of stories that aren't even worth mentioning.
So what's your point? Because I'm a moderator means I can't have an opinion? Really classy coming from a member.

Just so you know, I'm actually a Hamilton fan. And I know that he had to fight for it as a youngster. However, it's starting to become a cliche with some people who made it. Referring how poor they were in the past, while currently walking around in a silk rob in a huge mansion. Yes of course that's not necessarily true for Hamilton, but his statement fits the cliche. Being poor in the past while being rich now should be about keeping your feet on the ground and being humble. It has an air of hypocrity to talk about someone's rich background while being rich yourself in the present.

Again, I love Lewis Hamilton as a racer. He has such a huge fighter mentality, but every now and so he has a whacky statement. That Nico went to school in Monaco doesn't automatically mean he is more or less hungry.
#AeroFrodo

Pierce89

Just_a_fan wrote:For completeness, Hamilton went on to say:
"I want to be the hungriest guy in the cockpit from all 22 of us - even if every driver has to believe that he's the hungriest - because if I were to come here believing that Nico is hungrier than me then I might as well go home.

"So I've got to be the hungriest - to win the world championship you need to be the hungriest."
That puts a very different perspective on the earlier quote.

If anything, Hamilton is playing mind games with himself - he's motivating himself. It's a bit odd that he would explain this to the world (and thus potentially give the opposition an insight in to his state of mind) but then Hamilton has been known to speak before thinking...
Yes, but I find what he said about Rosberg offensive. When Hamilton was "living on my dad's couch", he was already Mclaren's wunderkind and it was just a matter of time to get to f1. He was a normal middle class kid. Its not like he had a tough life.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

thomin

I really want to like Hamilton, but this was just bad taste on his part. On the other hand, I don't even think that this constitutes "mind games". It's rather a cliché, a narrative Hamilton would like to believe in.

As others have posted above, it's rather Hamilton motivating himself. But he still comes off as rude and not very thoughtful.