2014 Monaco Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
George-Jung
George-Jung

Re: 2014 Monaco Grand Prix

turbof1 wrote: No that's different. You can't change the gear ratios, but you are allowed to change the gears themselves. In cases mentioned in the document the ratios were kept the same. There's a huge difference between the ratio and the ratio pairs.
Ah ok, sorry than.. My mistake.

WaikeCU

So if you change parts within the gearbox then it's fine, but if you replace the whole thing, then you would get the 5 grid penalty?

Juzh

WaikeCU wrote:So if you change parts within the gearbox then it's fine, but if you replace the whole thing, then you would get the 5 grid penalty?
Basically yes. As long as you don't do it "regularly". I remember red bull used to do it quite a lot last year until Charlie whiting game them a warning.

F.Massa
F.Massa

The tunnel here is the only part of the track which remains dry when it rains. That means there would be a significant problem for the cars because they coming from the wet parts of the circuit. I heard 1984 Monaco GP was wet, and Ecclestone had local fire crews wet down the road in the tunnel to give it the same surface grip as the rest of the track.

But now, if it rains, does FIA need to do so ? If not, how the cars cope with the dry condition in the tunnel ?
" You jump, I jump, right ? "

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

I suspect massa to get a great start and take four places before T1.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Tim.Wright

Before promptly stuffing it into the armco at the exit of T1...
Not the engineer at Force India

johnsonwax
johnsonwax

F.Massa wrote:But now, if it rains, does FIA need to do so ? If not, how the cars cope with the dry condition in the tunnel ?
It rained in 97. They didn't do anything. It rained in 96 and only 4 cars finished. They didn't do anything either. Q1 last year was run on inters.

The cars will drag some water into the tunnel. The tires will wear but there isn't much cornering in there and the tunnel isn't terribly long, so they'll heat up some and cool down once they emerge at the far side.

Monaco is kind of a disaster to F1 expectations. Everything is weird and compromised. They just deal with it. Part of what makes Monaco cool.

F1NAC

2008 was wet race but tunnel i think is long enough to drag some water on the racing line. And basically they start braking immediately after the tunnel exit.

you can see in vid, tunnel is wet on the racing line and right after tunnel exit they apply brake

Juzh

soaking wet monaco with these engines and sh1t pirellis should be fun to watch. 5 or 6 finishers max imo.

simieski
simieski

Juzh wrote:soaking wet monaco with these engines and sh1t pirellis should be fun to watch. 5 or 6 finishers max imo.
What's wrong with the Pirelli's this year?
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

PlatinumZealot

simieski wrote:
Juzh wrote:soaking wet monaco with these engines and sh1t pirellis should be fun to watch. 5 or 6 finishers max imo.
They are much much harder than last year's cheese cakes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Juzh

simieski wrote:
I meant their full wets which just absolutely suck (as do inters, but less so).

Töm87
Töm87

Does anyone know how long it takes to make Monaco ready for F1 racing each year?
Also, how do they do it? Surely they can't block those roads for several weeks? Do they only work at night for the most part so that the normal street traffic isn't touched too long?

Anon123
Anon123

Töm87 wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes to make Monaco ready for F1 racing each year?
Also, how do they do it? Surely they can't block those roads for several weeks? Do they only work at night for the most part so that the normal street traffic isn't touched too long?
I don't know but it can't be too much of a big deal to close off, they were racing classic F1 cars around the circuit last week I think.

RicerDude

Töm87 wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes to make Monaco ready for F1 racing each year?
They start the preparation months ahead ready for the classic race which was a couple of weeks ago. I visited monaco a couple of years ago and they have permanent holes in the roads for where temporary barriers can be slotted in easily so they can open up the areas around junctions quickly. They actually completely open the circuit for public use between FP2 on Thursday and FP3 on Friday.

This clip gives a good idea