About the F1 Resource Restriction Agreement

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Re: Lola reveal 2011 resource cap

Next witness for a headcount cap in F1 is Nick Wirth

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/155792/1/w ... mpaign=rss
“I really hope so,” he replied, when asked if the days of big bucks are now over. “That's what all the [new] teams signed up for. I think the big teams are going to go through a very painful process in 2010, 2011 and 2012. They've still got 500 or 600 people in each team, and they have signed up to a maximum of 260 by 2012, so every single person in those teams is going to be thinking, 'Is it me? Am I going to be here next week?' How do you know?
So, are all those people idiots?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

timbo
timbo

WhiteBlue wrote:Next witness for a headcount cap in F1 is Nick Wirth

So, are all those people idiots?
Who was that guy who tries to do all-CFD car? :roll:

Just a joke :twisted:

marcush.
marcush.

250 people only in 2010??? 50mill budget cap?

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... t-cap.html

:shock: ??

what is happening to those who spent all their money before the season is over??

will this be the end of feisty overtaking moves as the bufget for repair and spares is used up?... questions over questions..

WhiteBlue

The general gist of resource capping news seems to point to the big reduction coming for the 2011 season. It is silly that they keep this thing secret as pretty soon the consequences will be all over the place.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Raptor22
Raptor22

agreed, prety soon the teams will have to start re-organising,
I think Virgin GP has a good headstart.

xpensive
xpensive

I hear that reason for the delay of making the resource-cap official, is for the FOTA-teams to agree on methods and limitations of cheating the system. Points of debate;

- How many engineers can you have working from home, paid directly from a sponsor's account or a car-dealership?
- How may "trainees" can you have working in the shop "pro-bono"?
- What's the reasonable limit on subsidized components from related companies?
- Does the 40-head limit on race-crew involve "guests", or only those staying at the same hotel or have a pit-pass?

There might be others as well.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

Travelling team head count limit is 45 according to several sources mentioned in this thread.

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote:I hear that reason for the delay of making the resource-cap official, is for the FOTA-teams to agree on methods and limitations of cheating the system. Points of debate;

- How many engineers can you have working from home, paid directly from a sponsor's account or a car-dealership?
- Does the 40-head limit on race-crew involve "guests", or only those staying at the same hotel or have a pit-pass?

You are re-hashing old problems -- BUT they and MANY more are very important to resolve. Realistically, most of us (IMHO) would agree that totally unlimited spending is a means for F1 to slowly commit suicide. But philosophically, a budget cap (especially one which seems to be a fraction of previous spending) just does not fit with what ought to be the pinnacle of motor sport. Take a group of aggressive, competitive, creative individuals and tell them to go all out to beat similar groups. Then tell them they have a very limited budget. You might get brilliant creativity. Or very creative cheating. Most likely both. (I'm for reduced spending. I just can't get my mind around a way that will work.)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

outer_bongolia

donskar wrote:You are re-hashing old problems -- BUT they and MANY more are very important to resolve. Realistically, most of us (IMHO) would agree that totally unlimited spending is a means for F1 to slowly commit suicide. But philosophically, a budget cap (especially one which seems to be a fraction of previous spending) just does not fit with what ought to be the pinnacle of motor sport. Take a group of aggressive, competitive, creative individuals and tell them to go all out to beat similar groups. Then tell them they have a very limited budget. You might get brilliant creativity. Or very creative cheating. Most likely both. (I'm for reduced spending. I just can't get my mind around a way that will work.)
+1

I think most of us will agree with Wirth's comments from Whiteblue's link:
“The budget cap is a bit too contrived,” the 43-year-old contended. “It's like in the resource restrictions, it says 'you shall have 260 people, you shall still make your axles out of aluminium' or whatever. No, I want to have £45 million or €45 million and do what the hell we like."
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

xpensive
xpensive

outer_bongolia wrote:...I think most of us will agree with Wirth's comments...:
“...I want to have £45 million or €45 million and do what the hell we like."
Indeed! :lol:

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:
So now we think that a budget cap with technical freedom as proposed by the FIA would have been much better?

Fil

xpensive wrote:
:lol: @ Xp! Couldn't agree more! :lol:
WhiteBlue wrote:So now we think that a budget cap with technical freedom as proposed by the FIA would have been much better?
WB, he meant to take the quote he edited out of context.. 45m to do what the hell we like! nothing to do with F1 anymore there! :lol:
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

WhiteBlue

Not sure Wirth meant it that way. Xpensive probably!

xpensive
xpensive

donskar wrote:
xpensive wrote:I hear that reason for the delay of making the resource-cap official, is for the FOTA-teams to agree on methods and limitations of cheating the system. Points of debate;

You are re-hashing old problems --
That's me! But this time for a good reason, when every form of resource-cap needs to be very well considered indeed,
it would naive-xtreme to trust the wealthy teams on their good and honest intentions with such a measure.

For once I don't need to "think" to say that with a degree of certainty.

marcush.
marcush.

c´mon ...
the trainee thing can´t be limited ,can it? It is usual practise in the industry to
aquire the services of students and make use of their workforce for an two apples and a piece of cake ,just look up the job offers in Porsche ,Mercedes ,Bosch theres only this kind of job advert for years now.It would rob F1 to bring up new blood as well,as with the recource cap you cannot afford to have some unproven headcount ,do you?