2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Banki
Banki

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

PhillipM wrote:
McG wrote:Better never.
If you don't find anything that needs improving at testing. Then you've wasted testing, or your car is too conservative.
2 years ago we sad the same :lol: :lol:

BosF1
BosF1

Banki wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
McG wrote:Better never.
If you don't find anything that needs improving at testing. Then you've wasted testing, or your car is too conservative.
With the difference that this is just day 1 and two years ago it happened almost every day during testing. Let's hope they won't go down that route again.

Banki
Banki

BosF1 wrote:
Banki wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
With the difference that this is just day 1 and two years ago it happened almost every day during testing. Let's hope they won't go down that route again.
I hope so

OviJohn
OviJohn

BosF1 wrote:
Banki wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
Not just testing. Even the "filming days" back then! I remember the car could bare go out of the garage, only to get pushed back inside from the pitlane straight.

Anyways, they seem to have "solved" the problem. Car should be ready to roll after lunch break is done

GPR-A duplicate2

If you want to beat the current champion team and be the champion, you have to raise to the benchmarks set from the champion team and then, surpass it. Mercedes has been impeccable in their Winter Testing operations management for almost 7 years now. They haven't been the team that has generally had a bad outing in a Winter Testing.

They brought a virgin PU out in 2014 Winter testing and it just ran seamlessly, not just on their own car, but importantly, on their customer's cars too.

If the quest is to be champion, McLaren-Honda have to raise their game and come prepared on every single aspect of Winter Testing. They may not become champion this year or next, but such apathy in getting ready for a season doesn't inspire confidence in anyone that, they are on track to be champions any sooner.

I see a few fellows around the forums saying, this is just testing; just the first day; better to have failures now than later; You can't find all the faults on dyno etc., Seriously? Do you ever ask, how is that Mercedes is managing such flawless Winter Testing for ages now? Do you realize that these teams possess ultra expensive, state of the art infrastructure?

If you haven't proactively thought about such problems and figured out solutions for such simple issues, you don't deserve to be a champion ever.

the EDGE
the EDGE

GPR-A wrote:If you want to beat the current champion team and be the champion, you have to raise to the benchmarks set from the champion team and then, surpass it. Mercedes has been impeccable in their Winter Testing operations management for almost 7 years now. They haven't been the team that has generally had a bad outing in a Winter Testing.

They brought a virgin PU out in 2014 Winter testing and it just ran seamlessly, not just on their own car, but importantly, on their customer's cars too.

If the quest is to be champion, McLaren-Honda have to raise their game and come prepared on every single aspect of Winter Testing. They may not become champion this year or next, but such apathy in getting ready for a season doesn't inspire confidence in anyone that, they are on track to be champions any sooner.

I see a few fellows around the forums saying, this is just testing; just the first day; better to have failures now than later; You can't find all the faults on dyno etc., Seriously? Do you ever ask, how is that Mercedes is managing such flawless Winter Testing for ages now? Do you realize that these teams possess ultra expensive, state of the art infrastructure?

If you haven't proactively thought about such problems and figured out solutions for such simple issues, you don't deserve to be a champion ever.
I'm a little confused, is this impeccable Mercedes team you are talking about the same Mercedes team who's front wing fell-off during testing several years ago?

GPR-A duplicate2

the EDGE wrote:I'm a little confused, is this impeccable Mercedes team you are talking about the same Mercedes team who's front wing fell-off during testing several years ago?
Ask yourself, was that such a basic thing that they were testing? They had come out with with the most difficult piece of a design, to make the wing stick to the nose, with barely some grip.
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 27 Feb 2017, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Yes, because they fixed their issues that they found whilst testing.

GPR-A duplicate2

PhillipM wrote:Yes, because they fixed their issues that they found whilst testing.
Well, that's a compliment.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Not when you were just saying you should have any issue in testing...

turbof1

GPR-A wrote:
the EDGE wrote:I'm a little confused, is this impeccable Mercedes team you are talking about the same Mercedes team who's front wing fell-off during testing several years ago?
Ask yourself, was that such a basic thing that they were testing?
His point was you don't necessarily need to have an issue-free winter to get a better performing car.

Btw: am I only one noticing this mass hysteria goes a bit too far? An oil leak does not necessarily mean it is a structural issue that is unsurmountable. If the next days show more breakdowns, than I think this public outlash is warranted. But not on day 1.
#AeroFrodo

the EDGE
the EDGE

GPR-A wrote:
And became the champions the same year?
I'm just saying, you'd a thought the would a seen that coming...that's all, I also remember McLaren fan-tail exhaust year when they had an abysmal time of test, and won 6 races that year, and of course Red bull, who even as recently as this morning broke down during testing, but hey I guess they cant win a race this year either

Thunder

@turbof1: I think it's only because the last 2 Years were bad enough in Terms of reliability. And now on the First Day of Year 3 it happens again. Of course it's only Testing and better now than in Melbourne but that Phrase gets a little old after3 Years in a row.

I for myself remain confident that this Year Honda will deliver.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

PhillipM
PhillipM

Yet they ran yesterday...;)

Alonso Fan

I think McLaren fans are very emotional. And the situation of the cars and engines over the last few years does nothing to help that. Notice that this McLaren topic already has double the amount of pages than any other team topic and we're only at day 1 of testing. Either there a lot of McLaren fans or a vocal small bunch.

Personally I would start worrying if the same problem persists tomorrow, since they've said that they will be out after lunch. Don't forget that they had a successful filming day already yesterday and everyone was whooping with joy.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa