Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gandharva

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

PlatinumZealot wrote:That Total fuel must be crafted really well if they can run mixtures nearly as lean as Mercedes with only cylinder head upgrade without the TJI.
Can they? Imho no, else Renault wouldn't want to get rid of, or increase fuel flow. I think they maybe see themselfes matching the performance somehow, but not yet efficiency.

Blackout

This quote is intriguing:
"Wir wissen, wo die Performance herkommt und wir wissen, dass das eine effektiver Weg ist, Leistung zu gewinnen", sagt Mercedes Motorsportchef über das geplante Renault-Update zu.
"We know where the performance comes from, and we know that this is an effective way to gain power," says to Mercedes Motorsport on the planned Renault update.

jure
jure

lio007 wrote:
Some interesting facts about the update from Renault's Taffin:
- they are not gonna introduce any prechamber ignition on the canada-update nor in the near future (because it complicates CFD-analysis in the chamber)
This is a very surprising and an almost unbelievable statement. They are developing state of the art engine, but they wouldn't invest into state of the art software. I suspect this is going to end up like Ferrari's aero/tyre dominance when testing restriction was enforced.

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

TJI of HCCI are very early technologies studies, Diesotto of Mercedes or TJi Mahle are designed specificly for diesel engines!

lot of Journalists are writing about fantasy F1 , Cowell said Mercedes don't use this kind of tech, and no one at Ferrari confirmed they was able to use a technology who is forbiden by F1 engine regulations, no ignition pre cumbustion chamber alowed

Blackout

Nope, Ferrari and Mahle confirmed the use of TJI. It's official.
jure wrote:
lio007 wrote:
- they are not gonna introduce any prechamber ignition on the canada-update nor in the near future (because it complicates CFD-analysis in the chamber)
This is a very surprising and an almost unbelievable statement. They are developing state of the art engine, but they wouldn't invest into state of the art software. I suspect this is going to end up like Ferrari's aero/tyre dominance when testing restriction was enforced.
No, Taffin/Renault never said "we wont use TJI because it complicates CFD-analysis in the chamber". The autor of the article (not Taffin) just said "tji complicates CFD-analysis in the chamber" and wasnt talking about Renault.

godlameroso

jure wrote:
lio007 wrote:
Maybe they've already invested a lot of time money and energy into developing their current models and to re-do their sub-models using new equations takes too long to justify the change.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

I think they will use TJI. my personal opinion. Because Abibetoul said they "Saw the light" on how Mercedes and Ferrari make so much more power. When someone says something like that, it's either a new philosophy or a silver bullet .
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

gruntguru
gruntguru

ReoPTy wrote:Diesotto of Mercedes or TJi Mahle are designed specificly for diesel engines!
Mahle TJI is a spark ignited system for petrol (gasoline) engines only - not diesel.
je suis charlie

gandharva

More noise... Yeah! ;)
Renault is testing its engine upgrade this week in Barcelona. If it delivers on the promised 0,45 second gain, that is yet to be seen. The engine produces more sound than it used to.

gandharva

When asked if he could feel the difference compared to the engine used over the Spanish Grand Prix weekend, Ricciardo said: "Yeah. I think so. The progress is definitely there.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricci ... ontent=www
“The progress is definitely there, now to make the next step which will be the last step we’re after to get after the Mercedes.” a satisfied Ricciardo explained to press after the day.
http://formulaspy.com/formula-1/formula ... 5976-25976

Blackout

Ocon replied: “You’ll be surprised.
"It’s really good, really good ... I can tell it will be quicker for sure.
“You can [feel a difference], I drove a little only in FP1 but you can still, it’s noticeable.”
And Ocon admits Renault was not pushing the power unit but was pleased with the reliability shown on its first outing.
“For sure you don’t push it 100% in the test, but overall the reliability was good, we didn't have any problems, we did 105 laps so it’s a really good debut and really good start.”
http://en.f1i.com/news/55647-renault-b- ... -ocon.html

RIC wants it for Monaco, so its driveability must be already good too.

lio007

Blackout wrote:
Ocon replied: “You’ll be surprised.
"It’s really good, really good ... I can tell it will be quicker for sure.
“You can [feel a difference], I drove a little only in FP1 but you can still, it’s noticeable.”
And Ocon admits Renault was not pushing the power unit but was pleased with the reliability shown on its first outing.
“For sure you don’t push it 100% in the test, but overall the reliability was good, we didn't have any problems, we did 105 laps so it’s a really good debut and really good start.”
http://en.f1i.com/news/55647-renault-b- ... -ocon.html

RIC wants it for Monaco, so its driveability must be already good too.
Hope this is not just PR, and it's really a decent step.

ME4ME

Blackout wrote:RIC wants it for Monaco, so its driveability must be already good too.
Horner:
"Let's see how the test goes but if there was any opportunity to be even more competitive in Monaco, of course we would take it," he explained.

"But that's the decision for the guys from Renault, it's not our decision. We'll obviously do the testing and then they will look at the numbers."
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b ... ne-737574/
Abiteboul told Autosport: "First and foremost we want to make sure we have all the green lights, and that is only something that may or may not happen during the test.

"That refers to reliability, driveability, cooling, everything. That is what testing is there for, and it's very fortunate we have the test next week.

"Secondly, the problem we have with Monaco is that it is a less power-sensitive track, and we would not want to bring that upgrade and... not underperform, but have people question what the difference is."

He argued bringing a more powerful but potentially less refined engine to Monte Carlo could be counterproductive.

"Around Monaco it is actually not going to make a big difference because Monaco is more a track where you need perfect driveability," Abiteboul said.

"When you introduce a new spec of engine you are always not perfect in terms of driveability.

"So we could have more power, but in terms of laptime it might not be something as good as we have now because of the driveability and the power sensitivity.

"What we are chasing is not power, but laptime, so that is the tipping point we have to analyse and we will do that right after the test."

Asked to sum up the likelihood of it being introduced in Monaco, Abiteboul replied: "It's a very slim chance".
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... e-unlikely

Blackout

There is a more recent Abiteboul interview but I cant find the english version, only the german and french ones.
BTW AMuS says new PU should also reduce consumption, enhance driveability, bring 0,45s in average.
In monaco, gains should be around 0,2s http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 55224.html

lio007

Last edited by lio007 on 18 May 2016, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.