Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

I guess I don't get why they would show a car with this nose and use something else. The regulations don't allow for much. They pretty much spell out this or a short nose like the Williams and Lotus.
Honda!

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

dren wrote:I guess I don't get why they would show a car with this nose and use something else. The regulations don't allow for much. They pretty much spell out this or a short nose like the Williams and Lotus.
I really hope so. Great to see a normal nose.

dren

It's basically this with the top part all the way to the front, no nub.

Honda!

poolboy67

Alexgtt wrote:
Can someone enlighten me to rear wing top element serrated front edge? Has this been seem before?
they had it on last year's car. most likely vortex generators.
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

You have to keep in mind they've not got the DRS actuators and other elements fitted to the rear wing.

GoranF1
GoranF1

In terms of aero very little carry-over there.

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Sevach
Sevach

No rear wing supports like Williams, held entirely by the endplates.
Nicely sculpted sidepods.

Looking at the rear suspension, i believe this car might have one mushroom instead 2 like last year.

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:In terms of aero very little carry-over there.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8hYhjdIQAEGeCX.jpg
Yes, total departure. I'm excited about this car. Back to basics for McLaren and about time. A skinny car, what looks like beautiful aero and dump all the wacky inventions in the bin. Side pods back it's really impressive. =D>

dren

Higher chassis, slopes all the way to the back. Lower sidepods, and tighter.
Honda!

JDC123
JDC123

What exactly is the upper most element on the rear suspension, behind the upper wishbone?

matt_s
matt_s

Why would Mclaren go to the trouble of hiding everything now and then running it on Sunday? I would've thought that if they have lots of the package under wraps, that they are planning to test the running gear and drivetrain for at least most of the first test.

Thunder

JDC123 wrote: What exactly is the upper most element on the rear suspension, behind the upper wishbone?
The lower Whishbone.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

McMrocks
McMrocks

The 360° view on mclaren.com shows a swan neck rear wing mounting

dren

matt_s wrote:Why would Mclaren go to the trouble of hiding everything now and then running it on Sunday? I would've thought that if they have lots of the package under wraps, that they are planning to test the running gear and drivetrain for at least most of the first test.
There isn't any real reason with the regulations. They probably will have some different cooling solutions at the back like Mercedes did last year. A few winglets here and there. There probably will be some turning vanes under the chassis. And lastly, they might be working on a shorter nose, but doubt it.
Honda!

the EDGE
the EDGE

From the pictures released it looks to me like they have retained the cooling chimneys on the top leading edge of the side pods they had last year, only this time that are horizontal instead of vertical and integrated into the top of the barge boards