Williams FW32 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Roland Ehnström

Re: Williams FW32 Pre-Release Thread

Wow, the new Cosworth engine actually sounds like the old DFV! At least on low revs. Did they do that on purpose? Am I just being nostalgic?

mike
mike

running a cross plane?
since revs are limited at 18,000 and new rules require efficiency rather than raw power..

since the piston weight is low and rod is short and there is a limit on how low the engine can be, it could rev 20k at '06, a smooth 17,000 are likely

that could also explain the lack or rear wing support

scarbs
scarbs

Ive seen the high res of this photo, the exhaust in on the flat upper surface of the sidepod. approximaitely below the B on RBS

timbo
timbo

scarbs wrote:Ive seen the high res of this photo, the exhaust in on the flat upper surface of the sidepod. approximaitely below the B on RBS
Scarbs, in your opinion -- is it that much shorter than Ferrari and McLaren as it seems? If so, how they managed to package everything?

Agerasia
Agerasia

mike wrote:running a cross plane?
since revs are limited at 18,000 and new rules require efficiency rather than raw power..

since the piston weight is low and rod is short and there is a limit on how low the engine can be, it could rev 20k at '06, a smooth 17,000 are likely

that could also explain the lack or rear wing support
I'm going to reserve judgement but I will say it does sound like a crossplane engine to me.
With the engine freeze they would have had time to make a crossplane as powerful as a normal plane engine. If they have managed to do it they will have a seriously good engine.
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

ISLAMATRON

it is the same engine block that was homologated in 2006

manchild
manchild

Transverse gearbox, or perhaps planetary one?

jac
jac

ISLAMATRON wrote:it is the same engine block that was homologated in 2006
True. + the obvious "reliability tweaks" thrown in for good measure.

ISLAMATRON

jac wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:it is the same engine block that was homologated in 2006
True. + the obvious "reliability tweaks" thrown in for good measure.
and whatever other tweaks they wanted as they are allowed to change whatever they want until it is re-homologated after the first race I believe.

wesley123
wesley123

they could change everything they want, the FIA wants back to teams using cheap cosworths, so cosworth can easily 'promote' their engine by develop it much more then the other teams can do.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

djones
djones

Could somebody please explain to an idiot what a crossplane engine is and what the advantages of this would be?

ISLAMATRON

wesley123 wrote:they could change everything they want, the FIA wants back to teams using cheap cosworths, so cosworth can easily 'promote' their engine by develop it much more then the other teams can do.
Wrong again, as usual Wesley :wink: , they cannot change whatever they want, only the things which the teams were allowed to change from 2006 until today... and they can not "develop" it past when it is re-homologated after(or maybe just before) Bahrain GP.

horse

djones wrote:Could somebody please explain to an idiot what a crossplane engine is and what the advantages of this would be?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossplane

I believe the advantage would be a "smoother" power delivery (not sure what this means in the real world), with the disadvantage of a heavier (possibly bulkier?) engine.

EDIT: A smoother power delivery implies less vibration. However, as the cars already withstand the vibrations of the flatplane, are there any advantages to a crossplane?
Last edited by horse on 30 Jan 2010, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

rich1701
rich1701

The sidepods are a bit similar to the FW30 hybrid car.

Alexpcenteno

I've tried to get some still frames of the video to try and see something, especally the difusor. It looks good. Any opinions? :?:

By alexcenteno at 2010-01-30

Last edited by Alexpcenteno on 31 Jan 2010, 00:09, edited 2 times in total.
"Racing, competing, it's in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I have been doing it all my life and it stands out above everything else." - Ayrton Senna