A way to make Q3 more exciting?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Muulka
Muulka

A way to make Q3 more exciting?

Wouldn't it make Q3 more exciting if, rather than sitting waiting for the drivers to go out and set one time, Q3 was like the earlier single-lap runs? That would actually make sure that something was happening right the way through.

And it would remove the dilemma of saving tyres.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: A way to make Q3 more exciting?

I don't understand at all what you're proposing... Q3 is exactly like the earlier qualifying sessions, it just has fewer cars running.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

So a single lap shot for each driver? No thanks.

I preferred the old system of a 1 hour session, 12 laps each and they can do what the like with those laps.

Giblet
Giblet

The single lap shootouts were awesome when they had specific engines and tires for one lap, there was also no worries about setting a lap or not depending on condition or session. It was also enjoyable as there was much staggering of cars so as a TV spectator you got to see more action.

Since the cars were so brutally powerful in quali trim, it was always about a drivers ability to wring the car when it counts (right NOW).

The current cars would not shine in that situation, and this current format works really well. I just don't like people saving tires for the race and not going for the final quali push.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

scarlet
scarlet

Shootout is great, but they should allocate a free set or two of softs that can be used in quali only. That way you get excitement throughout.

timbo
timbo

I think it is good as it is.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

andrew wrote:So a single lap shot for each driver? No thanks.

I preferred the old system of a 1 hour session, 12 laps each and they can do what the like with those laps.
this was pretty good, and the format i grew up watching. The only problem was that nothing really happened in the first half hour (unless weather was threatening).

ringo

They need to figure out how much pitstops are going to be needed after P1 or P2, then allocate an additional tyre for qualifying that wouldn't affect race tyre usage.

I miss the bridgestones even more. The qualifying battles last year were exciting.
I like when a driver has more than one shot to take pole. Going around a second time to nail a lap adds to the suspense.
For Sure!!

wesley123
wesley123

The Pirelli's are the only thing ruining the Qualifying, until this year this set up was pretty cool, but since the Pirelli tyres are just pieces of crap the teams rather safe one set and dont push in qualifying.

Apart from that, imo the Pirelli's are ruining the race too, wasnt it ment that cars could drive better off line? How the hell are you ever going to achieve that with a off recing line track full of marbles, it isnt even a small bit of marbles, this is ridiculous how much marbles there are.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Pirelli have designed and built tyres as directed by the FIA.

beelsebob
beelsebob

andrew wrote:Pirelli have designed and built tyres as directed by the FIA.
And in my opinion, they're doing an incredibly good job, with the possible exception of the latest Hards – what they needed to do was make tyres that were only a second a lap slower than the softs, but which degraded slower.

wesley123
wesley123

andrew wrote:Pirelli have designed and built tyres as directed by the FIA.
True, and i really dont like it and it is completely contradicting, as usual.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

JohnsonsEvilTwin

timbo wrote:I think it is good as it is.
agree

Qualifying isn't the race, nor should it compromise race enjoyment. By making qualifying shorter instead if the 1 hour would help alleviate some problems. And if there is no appetite, then the FIA should award qualifying points or trophies, akin to the polka dot jersey in the tour.

So far it's been good, the problem isn't qualifying. It's red bull making it processional ..
More could have been done.
David Purley

finishline
finishline

scarlet wrote:Shootout is great, but they should allocate a free set or two of softs that can be used in quali only. That way you get excitement throughout.
Yep. Maybe a new set of tyres for each qualifying session that have to be returned even if they aren't used. The restriction of starting the race on the set of tyres that a driver set their best time on would have to go though.

HampusA

More tires imo. Let them have a set of Softs for each Q session and then in Q3 they have to start on the tire they made their fastest lap on like they do now.

That way we won´t see this again, it kinda contradicts the shootout setup. With tires like these i would like to see an hour, everybody set your times anytime you like.
The truth will come out...