Dear Felipe Massa

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Massa: Keep/Kick?

Sack him
38%
Keep him
26%
Swap him for a Sauber driver
36%

Total votes: 39

donskar
donskar

Re: Dear Felipe Massa

DaveKillens wrote:Ever since his accident in Hungary, I have wondered how Massa would do, and kept an eye on him. Obviously, he hasn't set the world on fire, and at times appears uninspired. But he is very competent, a dedicated team player, and only one of a few who know how to drive a Formula One Ferrari. Does anyone remember Ferrari's dilemna when they tried different drivers to replace Massa and not one managed to display comfortable confidence and competence in the car?

He's not that bad.

But then again, is he the right fit in Ferrari at this moment? It appears, like a comfortable shoe. The WCC is pretty much out of reach for Ferrari, and the only realistic goal for them is to get Alonso the WDC.

Massa has proven beyond any doubt that he is a team player and support whatever direction Ferrari wants him to go. Deep down inside he may have misgivings, but he will do what they say.

Massa is a pretty darn good support driver, he is very capable of getting in maximum laps per session in order to generate data, and he can run experimental parts before they fit them on the car that cannot fail, Alonso's.

Maybe next year things will be different, but that's not here and now, and hey, he did qualify 6th at Monaco.
Another of Dave's usually excellent posts. I agree completely that we must consider the long term effects -- both physical and psychological -- of Massa's terrible injury. Remember that Stirling Mosss, a much better driver than Massa, was never the same after his accident. Massa has won many races, and came within 1 point of WDC. Realistically, who is really available who could step right in, fit with the team, and do better? Was Ham's penalty for hitting Massa in any way an inspiration for this thread? BTW: I am not a fan of Massa. In an ideal/dream world, I'd like to see Kubica fully recovered and in a Ferrari.
PS: the choices in the poll above are too skewed (a Sauber driver") for the poll to be valid.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Byronrhys

zeph wrote:He hasn't really sparkled after his accident, but he's doing a good no.2 job.

I would not sack him. Not yet, anyway.
He's not even doing that, in 2010 Fernando was looking for his help and he was all down in P10 and there about fighting with midfielders, I like Massa but I can tell when a driver isn't performing, Ferrari can't they got rid of MSC when he was performing, they got rid of Raikkonen when he was performing in a Dog F60. In the end F1 is a business not an IOU1, ALONSO/RAIKKONEN would have won them 2010 for sure.

As to who would replace him, the man who set a goal and has kept to it the whole year, finish in the top ten at every race... and he's done it so far, the only man who can mix a Sauber with Red Bulls and Mclarens... Kobayashi, I'm well afraid though that he'll be going Red Bull next year.

Sean H
Sean H

Kubica/Alonso in the red cars would be a great combo in 2012
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

Pierce89

Jeffsvilleusa wrote:Ferrari seem to have some sort of personal obligation to Massa- perhaps Nicholas Todt, his manager has something to do with this- but imagine, they had Kimi Raikonnen and an injured Massa, and they chose to fire Raikonnen to hire Alonso! Sure, they would have been viewed as heartless to let Massa go at that point, but it seems to me they have been bending over backwards for Massa for a long time!

If I'm not mistaken, Ferrari have given their word Massa will be there next year. In F1 that may not mean all that much, but it seems to be dragging on and on. I guess they figure as long as they have Alonso they've got their shot for a title.
I think you're right. If the Ferrari performed like the RB7, Massa would be doing better than Webber quite easily methinks.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

How much of it is on Felipe, how much the engineers and crew, how much the chassis?

Things that are VERY difficult if not possible for the fan to truly gauge, and only those at the Scuderia know best.

He's obviously a talented driver. The best? Perhaps not. Are there better options? Maybe. I'd have to really follow things a lot more closely to make that kind of decision.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Tozza Mazza

@donskar: I'm no Lewis fan, there's no motive for ths thread other than Felipe being fairly useless, not dependable and undeserving of a race seat in the third best team. There's no point in having a decent number two driver, if your car isn't good enough to win with your number one driver. Ferrari need someone much closer to Alonso's ability. A nearly champion, who was in a superior car in his nearly year doesn't cut it.

nipo
nipo

I like the guy, but he's never been a great driver. I do have trouble understanding why he managed to come so close to WDC when Kimi was still there. But just look at his rain performance you'll know he doesn't have the makings of a great.

That said I rate him higher than Barrichello in terms of a no. 2 driver.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Jeffsvilleusa wrote: If I'm not mistaken, Ferrari have given their word Massa will be there next year. In F1 that may not mean all that much, but it seems to be dragging on and on. I guess they figure as long as they have Alonso they've got their shot for a title.
I'd go further than that. I think Alonso being there for the next few years is good for Massa. Alonso doesn't want some young hot shot, keen to make his name, in the second car. He's been there and it didn't go well. Alonso will want to emulate Schuie in the team - be the de facto number one driver with a solid number two as his rear gunner. Massa fits the bill in this regard.

I do wonder if Massa's lack of sparkle these days is less about his injury and more to do with knowing that he's had his one chance at the title and won't get another. So long as he shares a Ferrari seat with Alonso he's not going to win the title. His only hope of doing so is to go to RB or McLaren and neither of them want/need him. Renault will want Kubica back in the seat as soon as possible too so that avenue is not there either.

He either stays at Ferrari and makes the best of it or retires I think. Going to a "lesser" team will just see him fading away.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CHT
CHT

Just_a_fan wrote:
Jeffsvilleusa wrote: If I'm not mistaken, Ferrari have given their word Massa will be there next year. In F1 that may not mean all that much, but it seems to be dragging on and on. I guess they figure as long as they have Alonso they've got their shot for a title.
I'd go further than that. I think Alonso being there for the next few years is good for Massa. Alonso doesn't want some young hot shot, keen to make his name, in the second car. He's been there and it didn't go well. Alonso will want to emulate Schuie in the team - be the de facto number one driver with a solid number two as his rear gunner. Massa fits the bill in this regard.

I do wonder if Massa's lack of sparkle these days is less about his injury and more to do with knowing that he's had his one chance at the title and won't get another. So long as he shares a Ferrari seat with Alonso he's not going to win the title. His only hope of doing so is to go to RB or McLaren and neither of them want/need him. Renault will want Kubica back in the seat as soon as possible too so that avenue is not there either.

He either stays at Ferrari and makes the best of it or retires I think. Going to a "lesser" team will just see him fading away.
I dont think it is up to Massa to decide if he stays in Ferrari.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

CHT wrote:
I dont think it is up to Massa to decide if he stays in Ferrari.
No, neither do I but if he gets the option then he should either take it or retire. That's what I was getting at. I think the decision will be made as much by Alonso as anyone else - he can put a lot of pressure on the management either way and is quite astute at the political side of F1.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.