F1 aerodynamic innovations of the past?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
riff_raff
riff_raff

Re: F1 aerodynamic innovations of the past?!

:lol:

OK, so it's not F1. But I couldn't resist.......
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Formula None
Formula None

MIKEY_!

This died out because it looked silly, at least loose in style guys.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

MIKEY_! wrote:This died out because it looked silly, at least loose in style guys.

I don't think anything in F1 is designed to look good, the reason these type of wings died out was probably because they weren't functional, or didn't give enough benefit.

Tozza Mazza

Both wrong, it was a Monaco wing, and was banned because it obscured driver vision.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

ohh well haha

donskar
donskar

andrew wrote:Raised nose pioneered by Tyrell then later adopted by Benetton and then everyone else.
Andrew, I've read another source (OLD [printed] Autosport?) that credited the high nose to a Newey-designed Leyton House. Just a small "step" really, just a couple inches IIRC.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

xpensive
xpensive

donskar wrote:
andrew wrote:Raised nose pioneered by Tyrell then later adopted by Benetton and then everyone else.
Andrew, I've read another source (OLD [printed] Autosport?) that credited the high nose to a Newey-designed Leyton House. Just a small "step" really, just a couple inches IIRC.
True indeed Don, the Leyton House by Newey was indeed the first attempt at a raised nose, Harvey Postlethwaite cought on to it with the Tyrrell, the John Barnard walked the whole nine yards with his Benetton.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

wesley123
wesley123

ajdavison2 wrote: I don't think anything in F1 is designed to look good, the reason these type of wings died out was probably because they weren't functional, or didn't give enough benefit.
What Toza Mazza said was correct and imo pretty obvious. How can such thing like this not be benificial? It doesnt hurt anything aerodynamic since there is nothing behind the wing. it is essentially just bolting on wings for maxc downfore, pretty useful, same as the X-wings on the sidepod.

Btw that was a cool aerodynamic innovation and pretty much was the starting point for all those winglets on the sidepod. was started by Tyrrell back in 1997 in monaco I beleive, weas copied by almost every team on the grid next year.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Shrek
Shrek

hey wesley, what's on the nose of the tyrell, another winglet?
Spencer

wesley123
wesley123

yes they ran winglets there too. Also look at behind the rear wheels, where there is a winglet similar to what Renault ran 8 years later. There is a sidepod panel too, not used anymore until 2008 when BMW Sauber connected theirs to the bargeboards
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Double floor Ferrari F92

MIKEY_!

clever yes but raises the center of gravity, makes packaging difficult and I've heard somewhere (i may be wrong here) that the increased surface area causes a drag problem

marcush.
marcush.

I thought this was inspired by Norbert Singer of Porsche ,after whom a indentation in the bottom of the car between the front wheels was named :Singer -Welle/Delle (Wave/Bulge)...Unfortunatelly I cannot reliably tell when he came up with it but it was Porsche 956 development so early 80s...

Sebp

Twin-chassis.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.