Porsche back in Le Mans!

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
WhiteBlue

Re: Porsche back in Le Mans!

I don't think they blame it. It is simply true that F1 aerodynamics are useless for a sports car manufacturer. And the politics remark probably refers to the fact that halve the money vanishes into banker pockets. If you can only win by arcane aerodynamics what is the value for the massive cost you incur? F1 is getting this seriously wrong because it is dominated by the constructors. They have no interest to award more competitive potential to suspension and the power train. My only hope is that the LMP1 rules and the F1 rules will continue to come closer and closer. We are on a good way. So anybody with a Le Mans program can enter F1 by picking up a bust constructor or one of the empty tickets left by HRT and USF1.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Sebp

So, how can we bring about a more open formula without the costs exploding? That's what it boils down imo.
I guess Porsche would be willing and able to supply power plants if the costs were reasonable to do so.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

FW17

Funny to read Audi adopting exhaust blowing in their 2013 R18, wonder what road relevance they found in that :lol:

Pierce89

WhiteBlue wrote:I don't think they blame it. It is simply true that F1 aerodynamics are useless for a sports car manufacturer. ..... If you can only win by arcane aerodynamics .
LMP performance is virtually as aero dependent as F1. Any vehicle with these levels of downforce will have aero as the main performance differentiator.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

FW17

Pierce89 wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:I don't think they blame it. It is simply true that F1 aerodynamics are useless for a sports car manufacturer. ..... If you can only win by arcane aerodynamics .
LMP performance is virtually as aero dependent as F1. Any vehicle with these levels of downforce will have aero as the main performance differentiator.
LMP has just 2 other competitors, probably the main attraction to Porsche.

Sombrero
Sombrero

Better three main competitors in LMP1 racing balls on than a full grid of non-racing F-1 open wheelers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... KIc1BcWDlM

WhiteBlue

Pierce89 wrote:
I do not have anything against aerodynamics. But in F1 they absorb too much of the development money. This is not the case in LMP1. They also do a lot of engine and power train developmen which is useful for a sports car manufacturer. Ferrari have complained about this for a long time but they cannot get the rules they want against the chassis constructors.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pierce89

WhiteBlue wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
I do not have anything against aerodynamics. But in F1 they absorb too much of the development money. This is not the case in LMP1. They also do a lot of engine and power train developmen which is useful for a sports car manufacturer. Ferrari have complained about this for a long time but they cannot get the rules they want against the chassis constructors.
You might be right IDK, but I do know that the performance difference between the Audi and Toyota is mostly aero rather than powertrain. But I do like the fact that LMP only limits electric storage capacity rather than energy usage in a lap. That is much better for rewarding the better engineering solution.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

stefan_
stefan_

Porsche LMP1 2014

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Harvey
Harvey

Looks just like an R18...

Pierce89

Harvey wrote:Looks just like an R18...
Not in my opinion. I see a quite different front end treatment.

Huntresa
Huntresa

And aswell its 2014 rules, they are different from current ones right?

Harvey
Harvey

Pierce89 wrote:
Seriously? That nose has clearly been lifted straight off the Audi.

amouzouris

Harvey wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
Seriously? That nose has clearly been lifted straight off the Audi.
Really?
The cars are very different..the fact that they are maybe converging to similar solutions just shows that maybe that's the optimum..

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

The LMP1s have a tendency of looking similar because of the regulations provide for less aero freedom than F1. That being said, though, there are differences between them that you have to look closely for, or turn to mulsannescorner.com for reference.