Porsche back in Le Mans!

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
WhiteBlue

Re: Porsche back in Le Mans!

What is clear from the published data and the pics is the design of the turbo-generator system. There is an independant turbo first downstream of the exhaust valves with a turbine and compressor only. It has no motor attached. Then there is a second turbine downstream of the turbo which drives an electric generator. So the difference to the F1 design is the lack of a motor/generator which can spool up the compressor and that two turbines are arranged in serial fashion.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

matt21

I´m not quite sure if the turbocharger is before the GU-H. It looks as it is set in parallel or even before.

WhiteBlue

possible from the pics
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

DAMNINice

Yes.. might be parallel.
What I don't understand, by looking at the pictures, is that the Cold Air (Cahrge Air) Tube to the Intercooler looks like its connected to the Exhaust side coming up from the header?!?

this doesent make no sense at all.
Maybe its the perspective but it looks like the smooth charge-air pipe is coming out of the rippled exhaust pipe.
REal men play with twins!

matt21

DAMNINice wrote:Yes.. might be parallel.
What I don't understand, by looking at the pictures, is that the Cold Air (Cahrge Air) Tube to the Intercooler looks like its connected to the Exhaust side coming up from the header?!?

Maybe its the perspective but it looks like the smooth charge-air pipe is coming out of the rippled exhaust pipe.
I had the same impression. But that is absolutly useless

FW17

There seems to be 3 branches from the main exhaust, 2 into the turbo charger and one into the generator turbine

matt21

Tried to do some schematics.
Please advise if you have any other information.

I´m not quite sure if there´s a wast gate and what the box downstream of the turbos is or if it just heat shielding

Does anybody know if they are using some sort of intercooler-bypass?

streamline
streamline

High quality footage of Porsche (and Audi) testing at Sebring:

Definitely a new aero package for the 919. The trailing edge of the car is now more v-shaped then before. Other updates for the bodywork are difficult to spot due to the camouflage livery.

DAMNINice wrote:Yes.. might be parallel.

Someone messed up the render either by accident or on purpose. That is the only conclusion that I think fits. In the image below the charge pipe does not come up over the top of the engine to connect with the exhaust that it looks like continues onto the turbine of the 1st turbo. I'm guessing the compressor side of the turbo lies behind the cylinder head (possibly shrouded from exhaust by the black material in the bottom of the image. The charge air would have a straight shot into the intercooler but then I have no idea how it gets to the plenum.

aleks_ader

I think from intercooler into the plenum goes infront of the engine?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader wrote:I think from intercooler into the plenum goes infront of the engine?
That would be my guess but I haven't been able to find any image showing it. I think it has to be into the front. The top is partially blocked by the GU (is that what we have decided to call it?) and the rear is blocked by the various exhaust piping.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

I too was puzzling about the plumbing of the turbos. If they really are in parallel can the MG-H be controlled so most of the exhaust passes through the turbo-compressor when acceleration is required? A turbo is not a positive displacement device so how effective can it be as a flow regulator?

The rear suspension is also weird:
The upper wishbones are asymmetric.
EDIT. No they are the same now that I look at them properly. Still an interesting optical illusion.

That huge central shark fin. Is that size required by the regulations?

Lycoming
Lycoming

tok-tokkie wrote:That huge central shark fin. Is that size required by the regulations?
The big fin is by regulation, though I can't tell you how the wording of the regs dictate size.

matt21

tok-tokkie wrote:That huge central shark fin. Is that size required by the regulations?
Article 3.6.3 http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... xesD-E.pdf

Earnard Beccelstone
Earnard Beccelstone

Rear-end of the Porsche is beautiful, so tight and sculpted.
Not sure on the engine sounds yet. The 4-pot reminds me of a highly tuned late model WRX.