Porsche back in Le Mans!

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
scotty86

Re: Porsche back in Le Mans!

I'm slighty baffled as to why people think Porsche care about the F1 rules suddenly, and why that would apparently therefore lead them to run V6's at LM for that sole reason... please explain the logic there. Because, from what i can see, the vast majority of V6's in the VAG road cars are TDi, a base that is 'covered' already so to speak with the R18's. I know there are VAG v6 petrol units out there but i honestly would have thought they'd spread their bases a bit and pursue the V8 in this Porsche LMP1 project - why not?

WhiteBlue

Because this is going to be a strategic decision which means they will have analysed all their options for winning with an engine. If that requires a config that is not in their sales program that will not be the most important point. It is more important to win and have a strong technical foundation for more wins. In that regard a V8 is unlikely IMO. With the focus increasingly on fuel efficiency they will look at fewer cylinder options.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

marcush.
marcush.

Porsche will have VAG sourced inline 4 cylinder engines in their new mini SUV "Macan "...but will have 4 cylinder single turbo DI boxer layout for the Facelift Boxster/cayman range (planned for 2016)based on the current 3.4l architecture at least that´s the official statement of PAG this year..
as the engines are already running for quite a while now one has to conclude the common architecture has somewhat needed a rethink ....
But obviously a successful lmp campaign would be the right tool to market such a smalish powertrain without having to fear a loss of reputation from using "pretend " powertrains for porsche products.
Never ever would Porsche go racing with a VW product ..The fact of Pnamera and Cayenne using Audi propulsion for the Diesel derivates is not mentioned anywhere officially by good reason....
Even a V8 is acceptable because of race pedigree for the 918... The V6 Panamera/Cayenne engines sharing more than some architecture with VAG products and this is not are really described in detail anywhere for good reason....
Last edited by marcush. on 15 Jun 2013, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteBlue

So marcush, what is this all telling us then.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

marcush.
marcush.

I would say it is very possible Porsche will have at least checked the possibility to use a flat 4 for their lmp programme -that was my point .
A inline 4 layout lmp engine would render their series development path for the sportscar range boxster/cayman a useless exercise.that is not going to happen.
They have benchmarked the available powertrains before commiting to a flat 4 for their series development no question but have decided to go their own traditional way.

WhiteBlue

duly taken note. we will see in the fullness of time.

xpensive
xpensive

It will be a twin-turbo V8, all according to my crystal ball.

June 15, 2013
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

porsche was and is not a synonym for revolution but considers itself more of a early follower in technologies ....so it may well be a rather conventional layout ....maybe i´m getting carried away with the flat 4 ...

Pandamasque

I've heard much less optimistic rumours about the Porsche LMP1 drivetrain. In-line turbo 4 (the future Audi DTM engine!) + FWD hybrid system, probably the same as in the R18.

xpensive
xpensive

Now think about it, when cousin Audi is sporting a V6, how could Porsche possibly show up with a four-banger?

Besides, the V8 has been a Porsche-concept ever since the 928 and now in the Cayenne (Touareg on roids).

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:Now think about it, when cousin Audi is sporting a V6, how could Porsche possibly show up with a four-banger?
Because they don't think in old categories. If winning chances would be better with a 4-cyl engine I would not hesitate for a second. And Porsche probably think the same way. Question is which would be the most competitive concept.
xpensive wrote: Besides, the V8 has been a Porsche-concept ever since the 928 and now in the Cayenne (Touareg on roids).
Those cars are not traditional sports car products. So you would not give too much thought to that idea when you consider the benefits of a Le Mans engine for marketing.

marcush.
marcush.

the current top of the line hybrid and all 918 has the lmp 2 V8 engine DI engine mounted so maybe ,maybe x has a point here ....especially thinkin about the fact the lmp engine is running on the dyno since last august already...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... KgWQv4RVCs[/youtube]

maybemaybe..
You may remember all of Porsches recent motorsport ventures and it is more than obvious they are not at the forefront of throwing established thinking overboard and try new things...apart from the flywheel hybrid they had at the 24h race at the ring some time ago.
All other cars were a tad too conservative to start with and needed considerable rework to be competitive....

xpensive
xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote: ...
Those cars are not traditional sports car products. So you would not give too much thought to that idea when you consider the benefits of a Le Mans engine for marketing.
Come now WB, what you race, market and sell has a long history of being vastly different for many manufacturers.

Personally however, I would not hesitate to call the 928S a sportscar, while I'm certain that quite a few Cayenne-buyers feel precisely the same way, even if they rarely leave the parking-lot. Which is the point indeed.

Anyway, a V8 would fit the chassis-demands perfectly, don't you agree?

WhiteBlue

I'm not sure about it but I feel that the 2014 LMP1 formula is not written for big multi cylinder engines. Similarly to F1 it probably creates an advantage for very efficient downsized, hybrid turbo engines. I have a feeling that a V8 would not fit that bill. But we will see.

marcush.
marcush.

and an inline 4 doesn`t ...not much speakin in favour of a 4 cylinder package ...apart from being able to cut your existing v8 longitutinally ... but you could as well chop of 2 cylinders each side and make it a v4 ...right? that would open a lot of package space ....
I also found the following :
http://www.5-takt-motor.com/de/News.html?news=2

obviously Porsche went on designing the engine long before the regs were settled.....so it looks like v8 and turbocharged and possibly a 5 cycle layout to make it more efficient? but this seems to cotradict the regs ...as they explicitly state 4 cycle engines only...

the formula 1 engine regs are obviously a spec formula ,but LeMans allows to make a choice -you could even go for the formula 1 concept....I doubt someone has the feeling the 1.6l v6 engine was the ideal choice for a lemans winning package but we ´ll see.