Belgian GP 2011 - Spa-Francorchamps

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
strad

Re: Belgian GP 2011 - Spa-Francorchamps

Not to pick on Shrieker
Sure, the crash was not solely his fault
But why would anyone lay blame anywhere else?
Ya turn left into another car..who is at fault?
These cats that spring up to defend their faves, any faves, just blow me out. Some things are cut and dried.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

zenithbeach

Lewis posted the following on twitter:
After watching the replay, I realize it was my fault today 100%. I didn't give Kobayashi enough room though I thought in was past.
Apologies to Kamui and to my team. The team deserves better from me. Best wishes, Lewis
Congrats to Jenson, I solid drive.

WhiteBlue

zenithbeach wrote:Lewis posted the following on twitter:
After watching the replay, I realize it was my fault today 100%. I didn't give Kobayashi enough room though I thought in was past.
Apologies to Kamui and to my team. The team deserves better from me. Best wishes, Lewis
Hamilton is more realistic than his fans.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

marcush.
marcush.

Amazingly Rosberg and Schumacher had blistering on the left front tyre ...you would think that right front was the tyre getting more punished in Belgium with Pouhon and Blanchimont ..high speed lefthanders
vs la Source and Rivage being slowish righthanders ..and only the bottom of Eau rouge really quick rh stuff ..

strad

Right on. Gains stature by that. Too often in today's world many would stick to their guns and swear they did nothing.
marcush.
My understanding is that the blistering was from running too much camber which heats the inside of the tire even in a straight line.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

roost89
roost89

ssshh, it was an imposter who hacked his account! Obviously ;-)
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

beelsebob
beelsebob

Good on him!

marcush.
marcush.

Koba a little bit tongue in cheek saying he was not planning to fight going into lescombes..all he needed was to lift a little bit..but he was really late on the brakes...when lewis obviously was not late braking..

Byronrhys

Really when you put Koba up against Lewis this is what you would expect , these guys are fighters taking every opportunity there is to pressure each other.

Ray

My thoughts on why they deployed the SC are because Lewis was unresponsive when the marshal first walked up after the car stopped. Sending the SC out as a precaution was a good call in my opinion because had anything been wrong and he needed attention there would have been no delays in wrangling up the field. I hated to see him go out because with Webber getting really stupid strategies opposed to Seb there really isn't anyone besides him and Alonso to challenge for wins this year. Not that I hate to see Seb win but Webber is getting really horrible race strategies handed to him and Lewis and Alonso are his only real threats.

I would imagine Lewis is okay after that accident, he didn't seem to be slurring or anything but it's very out of character for him to not know who he was involved in an accident with. He never named Kamui as being involved until after he saw the replay later on. I sincerely hope that isn't an indication of something under the surface. Looked to me like he was unconscious when the marshal came up to the car after it had stopped. Shame he was out of the race because he was going to have a very good race.

There's got to be something wonky with Marks car as well, there's no way a guy with his talent can't get a car off the start line. His car always bogs down on the start and he seems to not being doing anything different than Seb. I can't believe it's been this many races with the same exact problem. He qualifies well and then the car won't go and he wastes his race trying to claw his way back through the field.

I thought the race was entertaining but the DRS at Spa really ruined alot of fights. I imagine without it being a factor Rosberg would have led at least 3 or 4 laps because the Merc is really fast in a straight line. Even with DRS there weren't very many cars that could pass either Schumi or Nice with it alone. Hopefully Monza won't be the same. Maybe with minimal wings the effect will be less pronounced and we'll see more fighting rather than guys getting dropped like a bad habit in the braking zones.

ringo

marcush. wrote:Koba a little bit tongue in cheek saying he was not planning to fight going into lescombes..all he needed was to lift a little bit..but he was really late on the brakes...when lewis obviously was not late braking..
I think drivers like Kob, feel like they have something to prove when they come up against Lewis, who Kob has respect for.
I think he got a little too frisky when he knew that it was Hamilton he was battling.

Very surprised to see him go so deep when his wing is damaged, and he had no real chance of taking back the position. Expected him to lift and chose a faster entry and exit.
All i can think is that he got a little star struck. This looks to be the reason Lewis meets in so many strange incidents.
For Sure!!

Ray

[...] The man said himself he was at fault. No one is star struck but you.
Last edited by Steven on 29 Aug 2011, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

gridwalker
gridwalker

I just think that Hamilton never expected Kobayashi to place his car onto a line that he could so easily close off, so was rather surprised when he found him turning into his rear wheel. Although I am disappointed by the fact that Hamilton dropped out of contention, he really should have given Kobayashi a much wider margin (especially considering his reputation for not conceding places without a fight).
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

bhall
bhall

ringo wrote:All i can think is that he got a little star struck. This looks to be the reason Lewis meets in so many strange incidents.
The Hamilton apologists are getting to be just as bad as Schumacher's were during his heyday.

One of these days I fear that Hamilton's all-out aggression is going to cost a lot more than simply his retirement from a race. I think it's become a real problem.

Shrieker

Watching it again and again reminded me of the time when Vettel ran Webber of at Istanbul Park in 2010, pretending he wasn't there. I think Lewis didn't know or couldn't exactly judge where KK was. He wanted to take a normal entry but KK was there.

I know what I said. I said not solely his fault, and it wasn't. Kobayashi was definitely trying to gain an advantage by braking late and going round the outside. People were criticising Lewis for putting his nose into a shrinking gap at Canada. Didn't Kobayashi know that he wasn't going to get much of a gap going into Les Combes? Besides when was the last time a Sauber went round the outside of a McLaren ? Let alone at Les Combes ? You gotta be realistic. He was lucky his race didn't end right there at the spot, or worse.

Hamilton is gracious saying it was %100 his fault. Yet, to some, he's insincere.

Having said all that, I feel Lewis should spend more effort at keeping his nose clean. For example, today there wasn't much to gain by trying to stick to the normal racing line going into Les Combes when it wasn't %100 clear there wasn't another car there. It ended up costing a lot. This, and many more things like this one; it's been all the same since 2007. He needs to improve in this aspect.
Last edited by Shrieker on 29 Aug 2011, 03:51, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk