New Jersey Grand Prix track in 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Re: New Jersey Grand Prix track in 2013

purestpurist wrote:
19 May 2023, 07:59
vorticism wrote:
15 May 2023, 20:58
Hoffman900 wrote:
15 May 2023, 19:20
It’s okay to admit you have no idea what you're talking about. :lol:
I have no doubt you have a wealth of experience with this. There's a reason the USGP has been held in Austin the past several years (can you guess why?). Enjoy it while it lasts; I give Texas 10-15 years before it finishes metamorphosizing into California. As a mountain zone denizen you should have some sense of what I'm talking about.

All that said and ignoring demographics, it's not strictly a matter of suburban commuting distance, to speak of economics--many make a vacation out of it and probably most are investing a few days in the affair. If you want to take advantage of East Coast density, I'd maybe pick a destination spot in the Carolinas or Virginia. To some extent Montreal has served the East Coast for decades.
How hard would it be to bring Road Atlanta up to F1 standards? Atlanta is a more attractive city for marketing than anywhere in the Carolinas or Virginia and still closer to either than Miami. I think COTA is fine, but if I was Liberty and looking for a replacement, I can't think of a more attractive existing circuit in the US. Road America is much worse in terms of location/infrastructure, the Indianapolis circuit is boring (and Indy might not want to share), Sebring already has a strong brand as an endurance circuit, and Watkins Glen also suffers from location problems and a layout not suited to modern F1.

Vorticism doesn’t know. :lol:

It’s currently a FIA Grade 2 track. For starters it’ll probably mean pushing back some of the concrete, widening the pit straight, and paving a bunch of runoff areas, and adding covered garages / VIP box suites.

Also pretty sure T12 is a no go as would be T1 as they are now.

Basically, it has good bones, but to go from FIA Grade 2 > 1 it will ruin a lot of the character and for what? You have to pay Liberty to show up after you make all those upgrades. Road Atlanta does fine as is.

Liberty / F1 is a lot like the Olympics where you have to spend all this money, and they get the profit, and as time goes on, the only ones willing to do that are countries where they can take money that should really go elsewhere to do that.

astracrazy
astracrazy

FW17 wrote:
15 May 2023, 06:40
Coulthard: New York’s F1 ‘Eau Rouge rival’ would be “perfect”

Thirteen-time grand prix winner David Coulthard says Formula 1 should consider revisiting plans for a New York Grand Prix as it’s the “perfect place” to expand the championship’s footprint in America.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/coul ... /10469346/

Compared to all the street track layouts done in F1, this probably would have been the best.
Perhaps before he starts trying to resurrect it, he should learn where it is. New York and New Jersey aren't the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Hoffman900 wrote:
19 May 2023, 18:03
purestpurist wrote:
19 May 2023, 07:59
vorticism wrote:
15 May 2023, 20:58

I have no doubt you have a wealth of experience with this. There's a reason the USGP has been held in Austin the past several years (can you guess why?). Enjoy it while it lasts; I give Texas 10-15 years before it finishes metamorphosizing into California. As a mountain zone denizen you should have some sense of what I'm talking about.

All that said and ignoring demographics, it's not strictly a matter of suburban commuting distance, to speak of economics--many make a vacation out of it and probably most are investing a few days in the affair. If you want to take advantage of East Coast density, I'd maybe pick a destination spot in the Carolinas or Virginia. To some extent Montreal has served the East Coast for decades.
How hard would it be to bring Road Atlanta up to F1 standards? Atlanta is a more attractive city for marketing than anywhere in the Carolinas or Virginia and still closer to either than Miami. I think COTA is fine, but if I was Liberty and looking for a replacement, I can't think of a more attractive existing circuit in the US. Road America is much worse in terms of location/infrastructure, the Indianapolis circuit is boring (and Indy might not want to share), Sebring already has a strong brand as an endurance circuit, and Watkins Glen also suffers from location problems and a layout not suited to modern F1.

Vorticism doesn’t know. :lol:

It’s currently a FIA Grade 2 track. For starters it’ll probably mean pushing back some of the concrete, widening the pit straight, and paving a bunch of runoff areas, and adding covered garages / VIP box suites.

Also pretty sure T12 is a no go as would be T1 as they are now.
Far too much of it would have to be altered that it wouldn't be the same circuit. T1 would be flat out with little meaningful run off on the outside, the run down through T3, 4 and the Esses would be silly fast with, again, little space either side. T5's got run off, T6's run off isn't that deep so might need pushing back, T10's run off is deep so should be ok, T11 and T12 would be simple acceleration zones and thus an off at T12 would be high speed with no run off and a slam in to the secondary pitlane wall. With lots of Tecpro barrier, it might be ok, but there would be no room for a mistake at all. More likley they'd use the alternative T12 that forms the entrance to the secondary pits, that would make it a slow 90 on to the start straight. Would ruin the flow, however it would bring an overtaking spot.

But then you'd need to alter the pits, provide garages, hospitality, grandstands, etc., which would all cost a lot of money. And you'd only end up with a track that was half a mile longer than Monaco.

The setting with the elevation changes and the trees would be nice, however - a mini, mini, mini Spa. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Meh. I'd rather see a purpose built track in or near Pigeon Forge Tennessee. Would be the prettiest September race in the world. ❣️❣️❣️