New Jersey Grand Prix track in 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: New York Grand Prix track in 2013

WilliamsF1 wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:We mustn't forget that Bernie is not exposed to any significant risk in all this. He doesn't invest any money, he simply says "If you build a track at your own cost, and run a race weekend at your own cost, and pay me a huge fee, and let me have the advertising space for free, then I'll turn up with my mates and their cars."

So if anyone gets caught out by this it'll be the tax payers of NJ if the local authorities underwrite the scheme.
No one said anything about tax payers money. Why is this always the issue even in a private venture?

F1 is not only about the racing anymore, but a larger social activity and business networking that comes with the F1 brand. It is naive to think that this part of F1 does not exist or not as important as the on track action. For this reason alone locations such as Magny Cours did not work and for the same reason Watkins Glen and Road America will not work.
Magny Cours didn't work because it's a sucky track and it provided boring races year after year.

Richard
Richard

WilliamsF1 wrote:No one said anything about tax payers money. Why is this always the issue even in a private venture?
Usually a scheme of this scale needs some form of underwriting by the local authority. Often in the form of tax breaks, infrastructure improvements, or allowing public land to be used at a cheap rate, and sometimes under writing cheap loans.

I don't know the detail of the NJ scheme, but I'd be very surprised it would be able to go ahead without some form of tax payer support.

The other reason that the tax payer often ends up as the most vulnerable is that if it fails the other developers and promoters can go off to find other money making schemes in other places. However local residents will left with a white elephant (or half a white elephant).

I made the point because some posts were saying that Bernie might lose money, but the reality is that Bernie is least likely to be hit by any losses. He always makes sure the promoters, developers and local tax payers carry the risk.
Last edited by Richard on 24 Oct 2011, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

Richard
Richard

beelsebob wrote:Magny Cours didn't work because it's a sucky track and it provided boring races year after year.
So what about Bahrain or Abu Dhabi? Conversely what about turkey which is a great track? Surely its all about the money?

I think Magny Cours didn't work because it couldn't afford Bernie's fees. Being hard to reach, poor facilities, and very few French sponsors due to no French drivers would be secondary causes of not being able to raise the cash.

xpensive
xpensive

Check it out, VW seems to be in preparation for the NJ GP already!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjTdvTHIoPo
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

FW17

beelsebob wrote: Magny Cours didn't work because it's a sucky track and it provided boring races year after year.
It was a great track layout, wonder who made a comment that it sucks? It sucked because like the years when F1 visited only 1 team was winning.

strad wrote:WilliamsF1 wrote
For this reason alone locations such as Magny Cours did not work and for the same reason Watkins Glen and Road America will not work.
Care to elaborate?
F1 needs a great night life and business ambiance to be successful. Watkins glen is too far from the population centers. Bed and Breakfast country is not exactly to F1's business liking.
Road America :lol: rather watch "That 70's show" than f1 at Wisconsin

strad

F1 needs a great night life and business ambiance to be successful.
You and Bernie maybe...but not the racers
The fans don't need night life they need a great track and true competition. ;)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Scorpaguy

2 American GP's...one in Texas Hippie Country...one in NYC. Texas might last,but NYC will be a one-off publicity stunt (and likely geo-political debacle). Neither will make money as true American race fans might buy tickets, but not that expensive tangential crap. Good luck though...will get to see 2 races instead of none.

And FYI...Indy sucked, even in the years they could make tyres...I would've rather seen them on the 2.5 semi-oval instead of that half-heartd try...would've at least been unique.

FW17

strad wrote:
F1 needs a great night life and business ambiance to be successful.
You and Bernie maybe...but not the racers
The fans don't need night life they need a great track and true competition. ;)
May be you should watch CART. O damn that tripped on itself !!!!

andartop
andartop

Apparently it's official:

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2703 ... e-in-2013/

It seems F1 races in the States are like buses in London...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

piast9
piast9

andartop wrote:It seems F1 races in the States are like buses in London...
Red?

WhiteBlue

Apparently it will be build by Tilke and feature the only paddock in F1 with a rail road station and a harbour.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

strad

hope its anti-clockwise
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Richard
Richard

Edited!

Arrow on pit straight shows ... clockwise. Very short pit entry, very long exit.

That wooded area is very steep slope (see pic below), it'll be a welcome change to see a track having to work with the existing topography and infrastructure.

Here are some pics from Joe Saward's blog. http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/10/ ... -from-now/

Last edited by Richard on 26 Oct 2011, 16:45, edited 4 times in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

strad wrote:hope its anti-clockwise
Judging by the runoff visible in the picture, it's clockwise.

Richard
Richard

Editted .....

There are a few run offs that can only be clockwise, I've highlighted them below.

Look at the straight below between the bends I've marked 1 and 2. That can only be raced from right to left, starting at 1 and heading to the generous run off marked at 2?

Of course the arrow on the pit straight is a good clue too!

Last edited by Richard on 26 Oct 2011, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.