Maldonado's punishment, Spa 2011

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of Maldonado's penalty?

He shouldn't have been punished
8%
It is a fair punishment
17%
He should have been sent to the back
11%
He should have had a race ban
46%
He should have had a 3 race ban
13%
He should have been banned for the rest of the year
3%
He should have had his superlicense revoked
3%
Other (leave comment)
No votes

Total votes: 72

forty-two

Re: Maldonado's punishment, Spa 2011

As far as I can make out from the onboard on Hamilton's car, he did jink right, after Maldonado hit him. I can't work out if that was a result of the impact to Lewis' front right tyre feeding back through the steering wheel, or if he was correcting his course following the impact.

Either way, Lewis was not responsible for that incident in any way IMHO but got a reprimand nonetheless. Seems completely wrong to me.

I would have given Maldonado a 3 race ban at least for that, he deliberately drove into another driver after the flag had fallen apparently for no reason other than a case of a lost temper. What would happen if he lost his rag while doing 200mph?

The bloke's clearly got anger management issues, and this lax non-penalty is BS.

EDIT:

Just watched the youtube clip below and before Maldonado is passing Lewis, Lewis does twitch to the right, but it appears that Maldonado moves right to pass Lewis at exactly the same moment. Lewis sees this in his mirrors and immediately twitches back left. Maldonado then comes alongside Lewis and deliberately chops him.

This doesn't change my opinion though. LH no fault, PM all fault.
Last edited by forty-two on 28 Aug 2011, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Sorry the above link does not work (for me! :()

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qek88QxYbW0[/youtube]

Why was Hamilton trying to move to the right and drastically showing down on a cool down lap? IMO, he was trying to instigate and provoke Maldonado? It was not called for and I believe both driver should have taken a 10 place penalty

Shame Nigel Mansell is the steward

Pup
Pup

Youtube version of the onboard...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hHG3rPl5UM[/youtube]

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

what is Hamilton waving for at the start of the above video?? why not have both hands on the steering wheel??

ringo

Stop talking nonsense man.
Almost sound like pre civil rights days when certain people can't do certain things or go certain places.

Hamilton is free to do whatever he wants on his slow down lap like any other driver.

Too many double standards when it comes to this guy.

we have crap like this throughout the season:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuLNvHJX6xI[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0OP07TG3TM[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZmerXf4188&NR=1[/youtube]

I'm not picking out alonso, just that his videos are easier to find.

and now a driver can't slow down his car and go on the radio and talk to his team?

This jinking arguement is BS. Hamilton can't steer his wheel, but Maldonado can ram into him??!! :shock: F1 is getting really silly nowadays. :lol:

Come on guys lets get serious here.

Provaction is also baseless arguement. Maldonado is not a wild animal, sutttle movements of another object should not incite him to ram into it.
He's not a Rhino.
Watch the above videos and you see what provaction is.

Maldonado can't control himself. He gets schooled and can't take the pressure simple. Can't blame Hamilton for schooling these guys and their subsequent reaction.

It's like saying a woman deserves to be assaulted because she dressed to sexy.

Hamilton doesn't deserved to be rammed because he overtook Maldonado when it was least expected.
For Sure!!

forty-two

+1 Ringo. Well said.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

strad

IMO..if you watch the stripes, it is very clear,,that Hamilton moves right..one minute his car is almost centered on the line of the box, the his left wheel just runs over it,,,about a two foot move to the right.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

wesley123
wesley123

imo there is a lot of difference between agression and anger, what Alonso does is enjoyable, and nothing wrong with that. What Maldonado does is just dangerous, nothing more. Like said before, when they would contact wheels that would cause huge havoc with both involved, and due to the proximity to the wall it is quite likely objects would hit hamilton or go in his cockpit(although some poeple would like that to happen). It is just dangerous to do so. Maldonado wants to hurt him? Go physical off track, not on track.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

@ Ringo

Why is Hamilton the moral authority to school other drivers??? coz he the one whoz got more penalties this year??

Also, Alonso did not jink other drivers. all he did was raise his hands in frustration..to the guys in front and not for someone behind

Gotta stop this before fvanboys spoil it
Last edited by n_anirudh on 28 Aug 2011, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

bhall
bhall

That ship sailed, n_anirudh, as soon as civil rights were mentioned.

strad

@ wesley123
wesley123 wrote:imo What Maldonado does is just dangerous, nothing more. Go physical off track, not on track.
I can totally agree with your quote as modified. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

wesley123
wesley123

haha thanks for the fix mate :D
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Pup
Pup

n_anirudh wrote:what is Hamilton waving for at the start of the above video?? why not have both hands on the steering wheel??
What penalty do you recommend for hand waving?

ringo

n_anirudh wrote:@ Ringo

Why is Hamilton the moral authority to school other drivers??? coz he the one whoz got more penalties this year??

Also, Alonso did not jink other drivers. all he did was raise his hands in frstration...

Gotta stop this before fvanboys spoil it

F1 is racing, it's not ballet school.

Any driver has the right to school the other on track.
If Pator's gonna cry to his mamma cuase he got his doors blown off into the last turn :lol: He shouldn't be in F1.

Hamilton stole Pastor's chicken; so to speak. And Pator's dinner wasn't even his becuase he wasn't going to make it into Q3 bunching up behind rubens and leaving an open gap.
If your not fast enough, the faster guy will always beat you to the bunch.
Survival of the fastest. Ask Heidfeld.

These guys don't get paid millions of dollars to curtsy and give way. They get paid to win.

Tough luck Maldonado, you got you but kicked. Be a big man and try to be faster next time. Don't be a coward and try to tear off Hamilton's wing so he can't compete in Q3.

I don't see how such vengefulness and cowadice is being sidelined by this fake arguement about "twitching". Just utter nonsense.

anirudh what's this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuLNvHJX ... r_embedded[/youtube]

blatant provocation. I guess this gives petrov the right to clock Alonso when they go into to the weigh in.
But it's funny becuase it's not Hamilton. Double standard i tell you. sheesh :roll:
For Sure!!

ringo

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 28 Aug 2011, 17:00, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Inappropriate
For Sure!!