Italian GP 2011 - Autodromo Nazionale Monza

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Re: Italian GP 2011 - Autodromo Nazionale Monza

what about the redbull using the DRS as an effective air brake rather than a Drag reduction, in the sense that they would have enough downforce to have the DRS activated for most of the lap, during qualifying?

in terms of off throttle gains, i dont seeing this race being that critical for the EBD, the first and second chicane being only the really gains in that department.
On throttle blowing as mentioned could see the bigger gains being made, especially if they can maintain speed around Parabolica, and the Double DRS zone.

I see a victory for Fernando, Button second with Vettel 3rd.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

raymondu999

Basically you mean a button-2010 type situation, correct? i.e. instead of using the DRS to shed drag on the straights, keep the drag on the straights but add downforce in the corners?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

exactly
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Wouldn't that mean running a higher than normal Monza level downforce, and might compromise their race performance?

raymondu999

It might compromise outright lap pace, but you have to remember as well that it would help them stay away from graining issues; Monza is quite low downforce (understatement of the century methinks :mrgreen:) and that's the first real time we'll see the Pirellis in that situation; could lead to some graining. Higher downforce would deal with that.
raymondu999 wrote:I've noticed something very funky with Mark Webber's lines in Monza last year. I think it's to do with maximizing the EBD with no off-throttle blowing. It's quite well documented that a late apex will be maximizing on-throttle time, and hence, (in the case of no engine mapping) will maximize the EBD usage.

At the Curva Parabolica, Mark brakes VERY late and doesn't touch the regular apex. Instead, he apexes near where it says "11" on the circuit diagram above; a VERY late apex. I wonder. This, I think, could be a very powerful line in qualifying, as the straighter line could mean that DRS could be deployed all the way through the Parabolica, no?
What do you guys think about this? I've never taken notice, but is this what the drivers usually do?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

It's just the best line you can take I think. If you take an early apex you can't go full throttle through the rest of parabolica. So take more speed into the corner and then take a late apex & go full throttle.

raymondu999

Most people take a conventional apex through actually and go full throttle, I believe. I think, in fact, that's what Alonso did when getting his pole last year. The racing line is a more circular line, and not a late apex.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

My bet is that the late apex is what you want for your out lap, because it probably maximises speed down the straight... I would imagine though that you end up sacrificing some pace when you make the sharper turn having gone deep, and hence it's slower for your quick lap. Just a guess though.

raymondu999

Yup a late apex would probably "carry" less speed across, but you'd get a much better exit. I imagine the best outlap for quali would be such a late apex, full KERS all through Parabolica, and DRS. Amazing start to the lap
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Monza will have two DRS zones with 2 detection points. I think the FIA is shooting itself in the foot by putting so much DRS on what is usually the easiest track to overtake on
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

gridwalker
gridwalker

ajdavison2 wrote:Wouldn't that mean running a higher than normal Monza level downforce, and might compromise their race performance?
Yeah, it does sound like a quali-only plan : what happens when the DRS is limited? Thois isn't like the F-Duct, which could be used at any time during the race.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

Two DRS zones?

What the hell...

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

Robbobnob wrote:what about the redbull using the DRS as an effective air brake rather than a Drag reduction, in the sense that they would have enough downforce to have the DRS activated for most of the lap, during qualifying?
Are they allowed to change the rear wing configuration after the qualifying?

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

No, that would be in breach of parc-ferme rules.

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

Ok then it's not a good idea.