Italian GP 2011 - Autodromo Nazionale Monza

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Re: Italian GP 2011 - Autodromo Nazionale Monza

marcush. wrote:If there is a podium waiting for Michael this year ,this is the race to perform a miracle and prove a pig can fly.
Unfortunatelly I don´t think speed alone will cut it.But then historically RedBull had an awful reliability record ..why should they go another race with double points finish ...this will have to stop now .I don´t think both drivers will complete the season without a dnf.
I have to say it would be nice to see MS get on the podium, it would be a real treat for the Ferrari fans (of course, a Alonso, Massa, Schumacher finish might be the best!), but the fight for wins have been involving strategy a lot more than others. With the tires this year, overall pit strategy will have to match well with the speed to really get a win. If the conditions are dry, I see Ferrari pushing really hard. '

As for Red Bull reliability, they really have learned a host of lessons from last year (better aero, power, reliability, driver's performance, team...um...cohesion). But you are right about the concerns for reliability. The engines have been pushed all year. I wouldn't be surprised for a major calamity at Singapore or Abu Dhabi, but considering their season so far, one can only hope.

jamsbong
jamsbong

Double DRS zone for Monza!

http://en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/57782.html

From the looks of it, nearly half the track is DRS zoned. That means the car configuration will be well focused for top DRS speed and good cornering grip. I wonder if the teams would use a significantly higher gear than previous years? there could be a top speed record up for grabs.

Just like the funny tall and narrow rear wings that stirred up a lot of complaints when it was first introduced in 2009, DRS also produced a lot of complaints. however, I think we are all used to the funny rear wings now. DRS will be accepted in time as well.

raymondu999

Yup. The double drs zone has already been mentioned
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mandrake
Mandrake

As for the speed of the RedBulls: I don't think they'll be able to top the sheets in Monza. Their Spa wing was so skinny, how much can they shed for Monza? I also believe that the McLarens will be very strong, they won't bring a too large rear wing this time unlike in Spa.

I also doubt that MGP will be significantly faster than in Spa, possibly closer to the top teams, but still only the 4th fastest car.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Mandrake wrote:As for the speed of the RedBulls: I don't think they'll be able to top the sheets in Monza. Their Spa wing was so skinny, how much can they shed for Monza? I also believe that the McLarens will be very strong, they won't bring a too large rear wing this time unlike in Spa.
Uhhh... McLaren's rear wing was as tiny as red bull's at Spa.

raymondu999

Funnily enough the Ferrari's didn't seem too fat with the wings either. Could we be seeing that this year, "Monza-spec" will mean top speeds of about 330 rather than 340?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Ferraripilot wrote:You guys are a tough crowd! Hah. If this season has tought us anything, it's that if W02 has nothing else at all, it has really good top speed. This is Monza, and Monza = top speed. I'm not saying this to be too hopeful, I'm simply being objective. MB engine, great top speed. This race is Mclaren's to lose, but I believe W02 will be competitive.
I think most time is won/lost at Monza through braking and traction.

Sure Mercedes has great top speed, but bear in mind that it was the same last year, yet they could not get close to the front. Toro Rossos were actually fastest in the speed traps last year but they were still not very good.

raymondu999

I agree with you Gerhard, but add in top speed with that. Red Bull and McLaren were very strong on traction and braking even last year, but couldn't really hold a candle to Alonso's Ferrari.

You definitely need top speed, but in the case of Mercedes, there's no use having top speed, without traction or braking.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mandrake
Mandrake

beelsebob wrote:
Mandrake wrote:As for the speed of the RedBulls: I don't think they'll be able to top the sheets in Monza. Their Spa wing was so skinny, how much can they shed for Monza? I also believe that the McLarens will be very strong, they won't bring a too large rear wing this time unlike in Spa.
Uhhh... McLaren's rear wing was as tiny as red bull's at Spa.
Was it really? I thought they went for more surface :D If I was mistaken please forgive me ^^ Then RedBull might actually be in better shape than I thought o.O

I'd guess there will be at least one team ditching DRS completely to make the rear wing almost flat.

MikeFromCanada

Mandrake wrote: I'd guess there will be at least one team ditching DRS completely to make the rear wing almost flat.
I'm thinking the same thing as well. There is really no benrfit in carrying any sort of wing at Monza without having the ability to shed it off down the straights. There will be no Jenson Button 2010 downforce spec this time around.

Lycoming
Lycoming

If nothing else, this is the best chance to force red bull off the podium. Ferrari and Mclaren both have an inherent advantage here, its just a matter of if they can both get it working, get a good setup, good strategy etc.

Winning races is not enough to win the championship if Vettel keeps finishing second. This is the best chance to claw back some points.

raymondu999

I don't think there is any "inherent advantage" anymore. As someone has already said, the McLaren is no longer the dragster it was last year; and the Red Bull is no longer the straight-line donkey it was last year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

I disagree. If you look at the rear wing spec RB used in Spa I think they have straight line problems.
So they can't go any skinnier except the front wing. And the chassis + underfloor create so much downforce therefore I say they WILL lack topspeed unless they overhaul the car.

Lycoming
Lycoming

the "inherent advantage" I referred to was the engine. Its no secret that the renault engine is down on power compared to the Mercedes and Ferrari engine. The rest is a matter of setup to take advantage of this. Additionally, the RB&'s strength is in the high speed corners; monza has no abundance of those.

You're right in that things this season have not gone as expected in terms of where we expect teams to be strong, but I'm cautiously optimistic. They have a great chance to beat Red Bull here and if things can just fall into place for them like they have for Red Bull in nearly every race this season, they can lock them out of the podium.

of course there's lots that could go wrong too. Mclaren could fail to shed enough drag and Ferrari may once again fade away on the prime tyre. We'll see on sunday.

HampusA

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Ferraripilot wrote:You guys are a tough crowd! Hah. If this season has tought us anything, it's that if W02 has nothing else at all, it has really good top speed. This is Monza, and Monza = top speed. I'm not saying this to be too hopeful, I'm simply being objective. MB engine, great top speed. This race is Mclaren's to lose, but I believe W02 will be competitive.
So Force India, Mclaren and Mercedes tops the speedcharts?

There´s more to it then just what engine you have. More importantly, aero.
RBR showed that you can still have an (in most scenarios) and inferior engine and still beat everyone else around a lap.
The truth will come out...