McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Holm86

Is it only me who cant see those last 2 pictures?

wesley123
wesley123

cant see it either
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

conni
conni

just for clarity the side impact structure are basicaly carbon tubes and only have strength in 1 direction

conni

wunderkind
wunderkind

conni wrote:just for clarity the side impact structure are basicaly carbon tubes and only have strength in 1 direction

conni
Conni

Are you sure they are moving in that direction? It sounds like a very high risk strategy. But I suppose if it doesn't work, McLaren will have to re-engineer the MP4-26 for next year without a blown diffuser.

raymondu999

What I don't agree with on this whole idea is that it means completely blocking off the area (in frontal projection) between the tyres and driver cockpit. The u-pods were made with the idea of clearing that air up; and so this would be a complete 180 on philosophy
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

astracrazy
astracrazy

ye that's what i think as well. Surely they must look at the success of red bull and try and come up with evolution for a change not revolution.

where did this rumour come from conni?

marcush.
marcush.

I think for turning the u upside down you really need to compromise the tank shape /monocoque crossection in that are to the extremes to make it workable.
otherwise your duct will not be very effective apart from adding drag...
I think the reverse u-shape is just a derivate of what manchild had proposed long time ago and which I proposed earlier this year as a potential direction as well :

this idea completely separates the Radiators from the monocoque putting them longitudinally behind the front tyres and opening a massive hole from the front of the car directly to the difusser beam wing area. only obstructed by the crash structure.

shelly
shelly

@marcush: I think than conni is in fact telling us the opposite, that is that McLwnt to get the air intakes much closer to the centerline of the car and leave a very low height sidepod on the external part.

Some facts:
-sidepod shape heavily influence floor performance
-sidepod themselves produce lift, so you can gain downforce by reducing that lift (there's as much of it in the current u sidepods as cleaning flow to the beam wing)
-fast clean flow is more useful for cooling than slow turbulent wheel wake flow
-with 2012 exahust positioning, this new shape could offer better opportunity
-wing shaped crash structure are not a novelty for the lower ones, it could be interesting to see them on the upper ones
Mcl have been brave to detach from the standard undercut sidepod shape that has been a constant in most f1 crs from 2003 to today; new solution in this area are bound to unlock a big heap of performace so we must expect it to be the hot development topic for 2012 (maybe with exhaust coupling)
twitter: @armchair_aero

conni
conni

rumour is from 1 of their windtunnel guys apparantly although i got it 2nd hand so cant be too sure if its just a trial part or actual design but i hope its used as the test results are supposed to be really good

conni

raymondu999

I can't help but feel that they're kind of shooting their own feet by being too smart with overly radical stuff. But, I'm no aerodynamicist. We'll see.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

pipex
pipex

Gallery link to Timbo's picture
http://www.f1rejects.com/teams/lambo/pi ... llery.html

Great find! :)
"We will have to wait and see".

timbo
timbo

pipex wrote:Gallery link to Timbo's picture
http://www.f1rejects.com/teams/lambo/pi ... llery.html

Great find! :)
Thanx!
Should've post that link myself.
The car is interesting example packaging-wise. To have such a tight and small sidepods with a big and thirsty V-12 3,5L engine is quite a feat!

marcush.
marcush.

the lambo was dead slow unfortunatelly...!

Mclaren does build the "other" car for a few years now and it seems they could build a race winner based on a Dacia Logan (wich has a Renault drive!)

Holm86

What a beautiful car :) Too bad beauty doesnt make a fast car :)